Agnostic.com

21 7

Did They Really Believe That Nonsense?

If this has been discussed before. please accept my apologies…

As most of us reflect on ancient cultures throughout history, we generally acknowledge ancient gods and religions to be bogus myths and nothing more. In hindsight, we simply know better.

Do you think that perhaps a few hundred years from now, children will read about our modern views on Christianity, etc in their history books and say, “Did they really believe that nonsense?!” You know, just like we view the myths of ancient Greece and Egypt? How long do you think it will take for our society to objectively put all religions in history books as debunked cultural phenomenon? Will there ever be a time when Jesus and God will be relegated to “myth” status?

Personally, although I see so many encouraging scientific strides being consistently made in modern times, it seems as though stodgy fanatics pull so hard in the direction of willful ignorance that I don’t know if the human race will survive long enough to acknowledge truth as truth.

Key23 5 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion grew out of mans need to understand his surroundings. Religion eventually will die out - but not in our lifetime.

gater Level 7 Mar 11, 2018

@Key23 I believe it will - im very optimistic about the future.

I heard something like this before: The religion of one generation is the comedy of the next generation. I forget where.

We've been hoping for reason for a long time. "[T]he truth is that the greatest enemies to the doctrines of Jesus are those calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them for the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words. and the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." - Thomas Jeffereson in a letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

I'll add my vote with the others in thinking that, yes, in the far future, the Abrahamic faiths will be like the Greek/Roman and Egyptian gods. Not sure about the Eastern religions, though. I don't know much about them.

It just may take a few hundred years, but Judaism, Christianity and Islam have been around for centuries without disdain. But remember that the religions of the Greeks and Romans were replaced by Christianity. Christianity seems to have a life of its own.

If you believe the Star Trek version of life on earth in the 24 century, religion as we know it will be gone and a mere figment of our imagination. But isn't that what religion is today; a wish for something that cannot be proven?

But… as long a people believe that the treat from God is real, we will have religious people. As long as people believe in the supernatural, we will have religious people. As long as people cannot explain the natural occurrences that surround them, we will have religious people.

That's changing. There seems to be a rise in interest of the old ways. How serious those interests are is yet to be seen. It might end up taking a pretty strong stance over the next 100 years. Personally if a religion must reign I would like to see a more environmentally friendly and humanistic form of it be out there. But guess that could just be me.

Religion is a drug for reality. It's not going away soon.

godef Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

I have wondered similar thoughts. I am sure future generations will look back and say such things, but hindsight is 20/20.

People believe what they are taught to believe unless they are also taught that being curious and interested in other ways is a good thing. Most get the idea that family tradition is the most important thing and if family believes this way. You are part of the family so you must as well. You always found the odd one out that purposefully distanced themselves from that, and a few that might have been thrown out for looking outside of the family and church for answers. But things seem to have changed over the last couple generations. You still have your tight traditionalists but they seem to be becoming fewer and fewer these days.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

I am beginning to think it will take a cataclysmic event where humanity is almost completely lost and has to rebuild nearly from scratch to get religion completely out of the mix. Unfortunately.

And at that point, yes I think they will look back and consider us almost unrecognizable in our ignorance.

Like Sodom and Gamora or the "Big flood " . I believe that might reinforce the believers belief .

I don’t know... That cataclysmic event might just make religion worse????

I also think it would make them worse..

Killing babies worse.

Unfortunately, religion us too engrained into society for that to happen. For the beginnings of religion they were very localized whereas today the majority of the worlds populations believe in some religon and the dominant one is the Abrahamic religion and they continue to rule with fear and an iron fist. IMHO

Sadlyit seems they do.

As for current religious belief, America is the worst in persisting in god myths. This is because the myths are used in our political system again. The powers that be think they need this to help rob us blind. It might also be that those in power rose up as believers. Museum of the Bible is a good example. Who would want this or even go to it? The Internet will prove to be the biggest tool in the death of gods. Used properly it will help train minds. I'm still saying it might be 100 years before the nonsense is looked upon by most as just myth. That is because the ones that want gods are fighting back hard and they continue to make things up.

Hey it happened-don't apologize for it.

The human race will probably survive. Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk are planning to save the human species by leaving the earth.

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

Lenin thought that religion would die out as the old ladies who went to church finaly popped their clogs. What he failed to realize was that more old women would come along and replace them. Unfortunatly I cannot see and end to christianity in any kind of forseeable future. Especially with it`s rise in Africa.

I am not caring so much of what they think rather that they are there and can think.

I think there will always be the gullible and desperate who need to believe in gods to make themselves feel important. There will more that simply water down their gods to excuse them from having to explain the stupidity, viciousness and pettiness of their gods.

velk Level 4 Mar 12, 2018

I think many believe that now. That's why they need those weekly indoctrination meetings.

I think "Jesus" was just a mash of people bringing back eastern philosophy from the trade zone.

Any time there is something inexplicable we (humans) cry "god". Will we outgrow this nonsense since we've proven time and again that we simply need more knowledge, I don't know? I hope so. I'd like to think we'll rise above this before we destroy ourselves.

I would say by pressing a bit more history and science in the schools. When we teach them young what we know, and how to figure out what we don't then that logic will lead them better in the future.

Man will probably go extinct before he stops creating gods to worship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.