Agnostic.com

19 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks to trumpie!!!

When you come face to face with a racist, it will be an experience you will never forget. Their hatred is so deep seated and it goes to everything thats not Lily according to their shortsightedness. No idea of genetics, or that Jesus was very probalbly Dark Skinned Middle Easterner. There are many secretive organizations in the US today be it the Mafia, Masonic or Skull and Bones all of whom keep it low key and all have been under scruitiny at certain times but out of sight is not always out of mind. This is definitely the Good Old Boys Club that has come to realize that they are being outnumbered and these individuals are smarter then and are more travelled. We are talking about the good old boys who still live in the Family House and have all the Pictures and Flags to support thier distorted views. Again the Draft brought that all into perspective when in 1967 you got and upfront, direct introduction into "The Way We See It."
Its very scary, and you have to remember that these individuals are Bible Thumpers who use the Bible to support their hatred and bigotry.

Absolutely, undeniably disgusting.

The rise isn't really all that "slow". Hell, they aren't even being all that quiet about it.

Two excellent online resources are Southern Poverty Law Center and Extremist Watch.

Unfortunately, not surprising, given the climate that Tmp is fostering.

I can't understand why such a vile , racist , terorist group is not banned altogether . Membership made illegal and offenders punished to the full extent of the law .

One reason (in the US and elsewhere with similar constitutions): Freedom of Expression that is guaranteed under the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

The amendment basically states that the government cannot police peoples' thoughts or beliefs, nor their expressions of those thoughts or beliefs, nor public associations and assemblies based on those thoughts or beliefs, but rather can only police peoples' actions.

Unfortunately those rights are never applied equally. Those who are generally oppressed by the systems and powers that are already in place regularly have their rights infringed, while those that are not oppressed (either because they are the ones in power or because they are ignored by those who are) often get away with more than they should.

But I while I support the philosophical concept of the First Amendment, I also recognize that all of the rights expressed in The Constitution of the United States are subject to reasonable limitation for the sake of public safety and social coexistence (and the Supreme Court of the United States has repeatedly held this to be true, not just in relation to the First Amendment, but to others as well, including even the Second Amendment). And as such, I think that hate speech should be bannable in public because it directly denies the possibility of social coexistence. And I really like Germany's laws that ban forms of expression that espouse or support the doctrines or history of the Nazis or that denies the historical reality of The Holocaust (that's Germany saying "We fucked up, and we're never going to let it happen here again!", and I applaud them for it).

I think the election of Obama probably had something to do with this. It's almost predictable that a backlash from the election of the first African-American President was going to occur. It brought an uneasiness to many white people. They denied the real reason it made them uneasy, and instead conjured up the idea that they were the ones being discriminated against. Also, us whites are on our way to no longer being the majority. The day of having privilege is coming to an end, also scary for many whites. I am not a religious or spiritual person, but it seems humanity is always faced with a choice of fear or love. Hate is just the byproduct of fear.

I agree with you mostly but cannot see as a white man how my race has given me any privilege. This would happen only if I came from a family that had money in the first place. My family did not. As for whites no longer being a majority, who cares? I have envy because I am human. It does not mean I have to have race based jealousy. As for the KKK they should be about as welcome in America as ISIS.

@DenoPenno I agree that one's social/economic status does give many a head start regardless of race. That being said, as a middle age white dude, I'm probably not the best one to explain "white privilege", but I don't think it is just a bullshit term made up by liberals. Here are my thoughts and experiences on it. As a therapist I've been kind of conditioned to look for the more subtle non verbal forms of communication. I used to do case management and about half my clients were black. I remember going shopping with a client of mine who is African American. He was a real mellow dude but he was getting pissed, he said a few things but I could mainly see the anger in his face. He was pissed because the store clerk was following us around the store. I'd been to that store many times before, and not once had I been followed around. Another time I was at a bank in a very white area. This guy, who must have been pretty rich because he had a chauffeur, was doing some business in the bank. His chauffeur, who was black, was waiting outside smoking a cigarette. Some of the employees were talking about the chauffeur outside, "What is he doing? Why is he out there?". It was pretty obvious he was a chauffeur. He was in uniform and there was a limo parked on the street. I think probably all races have a certain level of tribalism built into them. It sounds like you don't have a strong level of tribalism, that is good. Think of it though, obviously it would be harder for us to see "white privilege" if we're not the victims of it. For myself, I think I have a low level of it, but if I'm honest I know I have some. Weird experience. I spent a few years in a neighborhood in Racine that was mostly African American. I got used to it and would walk around not thinking much about it. Then I moved to a rural area which was almost all white. I had lived there a few years and one weekend I went to visit my sister in the Twin Cities. I went on a walk. These two black men were walking towards me on the same side of the street. I got nervous and my heart started pounding. I mean they were just regular looking guys...I thought, what the hell? I believe it was an innate tribalism I was feeling. Had they been white I know I wouldn't of had the same reaction. As the song goes, "Everyone is a little bit racist.". Got to own it to change it....Damn this is a long winded comment.

@Rudy1962 when I get pulled over by a cop, my only fear is a ticket for something I'm actually guilty of. That is benefiting from white privilege. I recognize that

I agree, seeing a black person become president would definitely shake up the racist ranks. I really admire your sense of self-awareness; I don't think defensiveness on the part of the current white majority serves to contribute towards any progress, especially in trying to understand what it's like to live as a P.O.C and what society can improve upon.

@Bibliophile_xo yah..I think we are still in the backlash. But I think a backlash to the backlash is on the rise. Race relations are going the wrong direction at the moment, but I don't think it is going to keep going in that direction.

Hard to 'like' this but I am not surprised, trump is the gift that keeps giving!

What is the differance between a burka and a ku klux klan wardrobe apart from the colour? or a nuns habit. more importantly perhaps why are any of them aloud to where these face covering clothes when I can't walk in a bank with a crash helmet on?

We are the first to bomb other nations while shouting 'Terrorists!' yet we don't bomb ourselves.

I take this very personally. White power has tried to get a foot hold in Portland Oregon forever. And we keep fighting them back...When Hayden Lake went down, they tried to move here. In the late 80's, early 90's, they had a bit of a toe in here, but we chopped it off. I don't want to see this shit again, and I hope the younger warriors are up to the fight. I bet they are.

Hope so.

Thanks for your struggle.

I am so disappointed in the current atmosphere surrounding this administration. If we remain silent we are part of the problem.

Of course they are

Does seem so, likely do to the cheetto in chief, increased publicity, white supremisists, nationalists, alt-right, nazism. People like j b sessions, former and current racist judges.
This is scary stuff... expecting the above groups to merge with kkk, start race wars sporaticically wherever they can, all with the blessings of the nra. Just my opinion.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Submitted on behalf of "Traditional and Folkmusic":

Enjoy

I suppose with that current nit wit in the Oval Office it's to be expected, unfortunately.

A dying breed grasping at straws. The world is changing and people are afraid. It's happening all over the globe. I believe these nationalist movements will be dead in 2 decades.

I hope you are right. But that's exactly what I said about the evangelicals during the George W Bush years.

I just read this article about an hour ago and It. Is. Alarming.
The fact that such groups feel emboldened to promote their ideals and continue to recruit scares me. Yet another set of "people" that people of color have to look over their shoulder for. YAY, racism!

We have to shout those people down! I'm not okay with this.

@MrLink #Resist

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.