Agnostic.com

9 7

LINK America's Real Economy: It Isn't Booming

When you take away the "spin" propored by the politicians, teh remaining data is not all that good.

snytiger6 9 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is the economy booming? Is POTUS responsible? All I know is that we are not currently in recession and we are all being harvested.

When over $6 to $7 trillion disappears on paper in 2008!

Just where did it go?

It sure has not returned to those who had earned it and was robbed of it by the wealthy and their corporations!

The numbers aren't all adding up. If you got paid minimum wage for a full time job you would make a little over $15,000 per year. Where are they getting their $12,000 figure? Also, $100,000 per year to not worry about money? For how large a family? I'd be fine on half that.

There are problems but I'm not sure this article is accurate about them.

I many states it is legal,with jobs that usually garner tips, epmployers are allowed to pay less thahn minimum wage, because, in theory, the tips make up the difference. Often though tips don't make up the difference and a full time worker makes less than 15K a year.

Interesting to see some private sector solutions put forward.
With the rise in automation and artificial intelligence coupled with things brought up in this article, I think we will see a government intervention similar to what the new deal was as a response to the Great Depression.

Not under the current administration . But yes, we do do need some New Dealy kind of legistlation to brign our infrastructure up to date and also to buidl high speed rail lines if hte U.S. is to remain competitive.

@snytiger6
The fecal matter hasn’t collided with the propeller yet - when it does we’ll see some sort of dramatic, delayed response.

It hasn't been for a very long time, at least not for average people, even long before 2008. I already knew that just from talking to people and looking around. But then again, I am a lot smarter and deeper in my thinking than the average sheeple.

@Antidronefreeman What is your point? I don't try to communicate two-way with snark, only when I want to send a message one way to others. Snark is not a sincere way to communicate conversationally, just a way to show off how clever and supposedly smarter you are from others.

@Antidronefreeman Ok, fair enough, I wasn't assuming any insult on your part, just making it clear that I'm an old fart Boomer who is generally very serious and sincere in my comments, with the exception of when I use sarcasm that is about as subtle as a jet engine. Snark is still almost a foreign language to me, as is emoji some of the time. Which is why I usually don't use emoji online.

A lot of this was mentioned on a yahoo news link. The 'booming' comes from the tRumpers attempt to show their platforms are working. They are not and the only ones fooled are those that support him and his ilk.

However, I will go out on a limb and make an observation. When a nation imports large numbers of poor people of course poverty will increase. Often those that gain the most are the wealthy and the middle class shrinks, which it is doing. Also, our desire to buy cheap products made someplace else also hurts our businesses. The 'right to work' movement is a way to circumvent the unions and destroy the protections that workers have worked long and hard to get. When employers gain often the employees lose and in the end everyone loses.

"When a country imports large numbers of poor people".,,,,,,,,,
Crappy excuse. Blame yourself.

It is reckoned that by 2020 40% of Americans will be working in the gig economy. Low wages and no job security. Hardly a booming economy

It really is a new form of slavery. The movie Sorry To Bother You made some great, biting satirical points about how in the near future the gig economizing of America will leave most people little choice but either gig jobs or joining the military, assuming they are young enough that the military will take them. In the movie, an evil company had billboards all over advertising for workers who would have to sign lifetime contracts to be employed by the company, mainly in temp jobs that were unsafe and bad, in exchange for being given food, housing, and some money. Sound a little like slavery, that's because it is.....

@TomMcGiverin We seem to be reverting to the way it was before worker power and the unions drastically improved workers conditions. Every time I hear that increasing the minimum wage is a bad thing I just shake my head in disbelief.

Boris Johnson, the front runner for PM in the UK has said if elected he will raise the threshold for the higher tax rate from £50k to £80k and it will be partly funded from national insurance contributions.So lower paid workers are going to fund a tax break for the wealthier ffs.

@Moravian Like I said tonite on a different thread, the rich will never be satisfied with just being rich or having more money they can ever spend. They want all of it, along with total power and control over anyone lower class than them.

@TomMcGiverin because wealth is power and power corrupts.

@Keita No shit....

The "gig economy" kidn of sounds like the Okies employment plan from the "Grapes of Wrath".

@Keita ...and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

People have known for some time that nothing gets better under democratic or republican presidents. That is partly why they tried to burn the house down in 2016 by electing Trump.

No. People have not known that.
And its not true. Simple minded, but wrong.

No surprise there. Just hipe from the trump ninnies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:359049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.