Agnostic.com

47 10

How and when did you lose your religion?

I read a post recently on the different experiences we have all had with religion. I was 11 when I started questioning everything. My brother and I attended a private “christian” school and something happened one day at school that made me go “dafuk??”. From that experience I wanted out of that school and my path towards atheism began.

helionoftroy 7 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't remember when I ever actually believed.

Smart man!

The evolution of my skepticism is a long story. Even as my doubting increased I continued daily prayer (at least continued "breathing a prayer" each night) as I had done all my life. Then one time I realized I hadn't prayed for several days--I had forgotten to!!!--and I never prayed again after that. That is when I admitted to myself that I had "lost the faith."

As I was reading your post I was imaging kneeling by the bed with hands lifted in prayer every night. Not any more!! Good on you!

It was ingrained in me at an early age that you don’t question god, so for a very long time I tried my best to be a good JW, dedicated to my studies but then I moved and began college. I started to think, read and ask myself important questions, mainly why the hell can't I question god? My atheism is not from tragedy but from wanting to believe so badly I began to think something was defective in me because of my constant doubts about my faith. My brother died at 32 from natural causes and was a true firm believer in god and was faithful to his religion. After a while I began attending a baptist church, suggested by a coworker, this was during the beginning of all the mass school shootings. After I had my daughter and realized what damages religion can cause her, I walked away and never looked back. Later found out that she never believed any of the children Bible stories I read to her every week, as suggested by my mother. Surprisingly she was already atheist at age 8 and that made me realize how unimportant it is to believe in a god

Those stories are ridiculous aren’t they? My ex sisters-in-law was JW, my brother is atheist, and she would make the kids pray at the dinner table. I tried not to laugh at the language being used in prayer but would look at my brother and roll my eyes.

@helionoftroy Yeah, I don’t miss that at all. Just let me eat. Lol

There were many, many experiences leading up to it but the breaking point came one night when I was praying for my sick baby and nothing was changing. I just couldn't believe in a God who would ignore a mother begging for relief for her infant anymore.

I’m sorry for your child being sick. I hope the doctors were able to help.

Sorry to hear about you child. When my brother passed so suddenly the thing that hurt the most was the thoughts and prayers from others to be glad he was in a better place. I’m still angry I admit but I now understand they meant well or just didn’t know what else to say. Continue to stay strong and thanks for sharing.

@helionoftroy, @AngiePoo Thanks! It was quite some time ago and the baby wasn't really that sick but I had friends who were pushing this "pray until you get results" mentality and had said over and over you should just keep praying until you get a miracle. I prayed as long as I could but there was no miracle healing for my tiny baby and after so many other things, something just snapped. Funny how it's so obvious now that my beliefs in God were royally screwed up but then, it was just so confusing.

I lost it in my thirties, when it became inescapable to admit that lived experience had nothing to do with the predictions and explanations of my faith. That was the proximal cause -- that the epistemology was utterly bogus. Once the dam broke, I was free to explore a working epistemology and live a life relatively much freer of surprises and inconsistencies and cognitive dissonance.

Freedom is powerful.

I’ve never had it though I have explored it quite extensively. Not just Christianity I hasten to add!

It’s good to learn about all religions to understand how it’s all a load of BS.

Never had it

alon Level 6 June 17, 2019

Good for you!!

I never really had it but didn’t recognize it until my 60’s. I guess I’m slow.

Hahahaha at least you caught up.

when I realized my “one true religion” was actually a 19th century cult I left for good immediately. Even before that I grew to doubt the teachings when I discovered real science. The theory of evolution made far more sense than god create this bs. Looking back I get more spirituality from science and philosophy than any religious text I come across. Since I left I never have to fear the world ending ever again.

With that being said, do you think religion is helping destroy the environment?

@helionoftroy some religions promote "conquer" and " multiply". Pagan religions believe that we are part of the natural environment.

never had one to lose.

You’re lucky! Many still struggle with losing their faith.

@helionoftroy I don't think it is actually a 'struggle' it is more like having to give up wearing a pair of shoes, etc, that you have become so accustomed to, i.e. you can't seem to imagine what you can do to live without them.
My idea is to merely shrug them off, turn your back on them, throw them away and begin life anew without them, you WILL feel MUCH better in the long run.

I was fortunate in that my mom showed little interest in organized religion. She let us decide our choices. If we wanted to attend services, she drove us there and we had conversations afterwards. She encouraged thinking outside the box and did not encourage any religion but encouraged exploration and research. I was 15 when I walked away from all religions and never looked back. Mom was a wonderful, supportive nurturing parent.

My parents were the same way. Although they did make me go to a private school only because they thought i would get a better education. That didn’t happen.

Religion was never really all that important to me. When I was a kid, church was just this annoying place my parents drug me to on Saturday nights. The older I got, I became increasingly aware of just how the crazy the whole notion of organized religion is. And the more I learned about the atrocities inflicted upon humanity in the name of some god or another, the more my indiference turned into outright disdain.

Free thinkers unite!! Bravo!

When i broke my neck from a motorcycle accident becoming paralyzed from neck to feet

sean Level 3 June 17, 2019

Yeah that would do it.

I have a FB friend that used to travel the US. And was always posting pics of places he found to adventure.

Well he had a rollover and is also paralyzed from the neck down but he became super religious and right wing..

I guess people react in the way they must to a live changing event.

@BufftonBeotch maybe he will figure it oout i went for faith healing and was told i didn't have enough faith

@sean Prayer will never heal spinal cord damage. Science has a chance. Except didn't trump kill stem cell research again?

So many things you can still do Sean. Don’t let that injury stop you from living!

Never had this mental illness.

zesty Level 7 July 21, 2019

I don't remember ever having one

A few others have also said the same.

The Christian Religion was used to convert me when I started school. Lucky my primary years were Immersed In my cultural beliefs and I was and still am a stubborn child.

I’m a stubborn child too. I don’t like to be told what to do. I’m lucky that my parents encouraged free thinking!

My ( religious when it suited her) mother tried to force me to become religious by forcing me to attend Sunday Schools from which I was expelled and banned completely by the age of about 8 years old because I simply asked questions. I was forced to attend so many different Sunday Schools,i.e. Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, etc, right on down the line to even the radical, fundie ones around at that time, but got expelled from them all, including the then COMPULSORY Scripture Lessons at Primary School.
I was the first student to 'placed' on the ' Not Wanted List' for Scripture Classes by the time I was 8 years old and remained the only one on that list for many weeks until the ranks began to grow slowly but surely.
I suppose that, IF I wished, I could say that I was the Founding Member of the Broken Hill Burke Ward Public School's Junior Atheist League, that was the real moment when my Atheism became public knowledge.

You free thinker you! To have the balls to question the BS being fed to children.

@helionoftroy I like to think that I inherited both from my Dad, he certainly had the balls ( no pun intended) and the guts to stand up for what was right, ask questions and then question the answers as well. He taught me well I think.

I never really had it, though I tried. I really did.

If you didn’t ever have it I’m sure it made things harder to pretend.

@helionoftroy It did. The effort necessary to make myself believe it the same way everybody else did was exhausting. That I couldn't was frustrating. That people who came across as intelligent and reasonable believed it whole heartedly without evidence was perplexing, and having to keep my thoughts secret from everybody I knew drove me insane.

When the child rape scandals hit the news,,, my religious house of cards fell fast!

I have a hard time with that. I want to castrate them all!!

My mom was a very religious woman but I had doubts about religion for a long time. I didn’t come out openly as an atheist until my parents were both dead and I was in my 50’s. I still don’t discuss my lack of belief much as most of my friends are religious. I have found that most religious people are very good people, just somewhat set in their ways about religion.

I’m lucky in that my parents encouraged critical thinking. My dad didn’t ever believe and made sure my brother and I questioned everything.

"Lose"? Why is it called losing, when all you can do is gain?

How the merry firkle can you have lost it if you are still talking about it? FFS get a life!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.