Agnostic.com

37 10

Is there such a thing as too much kindness?

Is the highly valued trait of kindness and empathy only a good thing? Could it be bad?

Have you ever witnessed negative consequences associated with kindness?

silvereyes 8 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a bigger fan of tough love or as I like to say I refuse to coddle anyone.

Kindness doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's not just a single emotion. It should have some company. Emotional Intelligence, compassion, wisdom, caution, foresight, discretion... It is necessary that all those are in play as often as they can be. This allows us to know how and where to continue forward, or to walk away.

Your actions should help people, and being kind doesn't always help a person.

There's a minimal level of kindness that you must give yourself in order to thrive and continue your own life and pace. If the kindness you are giving begins to limit or tap into that minimal self-kindness, you are being too kind.

Isn't that where or when you kill someone with too much kindness?

SamL Level 7 Mar 13, 2018

When the kindness is generated by a sense of guilt or duty, and regretted afterwards - then, yes.

i'd call that calculation, not kindness to begin with.

Yes, the overly sincere drive me crazy!

Never except when trumpie requires acknowledgement

empathy - in its nature of enabling me to feel with the other - would surely prevent me from being kind to some bloodsucker who'd only take advantage of my kindness. doing good without the primary intent to ease someone else's hardship (instead for reasons of selfishness, reputation, co-dependance, etc.) i wouldn't call kindness. in our society egoism seems to rule, but genuine kindness can never be too much.

Google Craig House... Question Answered

Not that I know about - from my psychology days some troule d children and adults have difficulty taking in positive strokes and need to have a bit of negative in teh mix - as in "thats really good for a person in your position!" Hard to judge though unles you have been working with them for quite a while.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.