Agnostic.com

11 2

Secular Wedding Ceremony Script

I am getting married in April. We were just given 4 pre-written wedding ceremonies by the wedding officiant. They are all very religious. Our other option is to write the entire ceremony (not just vows) ourselves. Does anyone have experience with this that could help me?

Dimples1114 4 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dear groom/bride … now that we had a few good roots, let's formalise this connection before we lose interest in each other … and let's hope that we find enough mutual interests to make this sentence the least painful possible!
Sign and date

Isn’t a marriage itself religious?

indeed … the churches controlled marriages, births and deaths … then they returned the monopoly to the civil authorities … The problem is that in many jurisdictions there are rather bizarre ramifications.
My elder daughter was born out of wedlock (horrible expression), but registered under my family name. Back in my country of origin the registrars refused to issue her a passport in the name that was on her birth certificate.

make it simple do you take him as husband (you say yes) then he is asked do you take her as your wife (he is supposed to say yes) you can add to have and to hold until death in sickness and health , richness and poor. Not hard to put to together add what you want. If you want to surprise the people watching you can add some kink in it. That way people don't get bored.

Atheists getting married?! I don't get it. Isn't marriage a religious gimmick?!

Do you love this person?
Then you say yes.
Do you love her, too?
He says, yes...

By the power invested in me, I declare y'all married...

Let's get drunk.

I married my son and his now wife. They asked me because they wanted a secular wedding that was about them and not a superstition. I found a web site that would ordain me for free. They ask for donations and will sell certificates that are not necessary but can be framed. I checked with the county clerk and it's all legal. Have a friend marry you. They'll consider it an honor. Google "secular wedding ceremony script". You'll have many choices, just alter to your taste. Congratulations!

In Alaska any adult can become a magistrate for 1 day to do a legal wedding. My ex had her best friend read the vows that we wrote. It was completely legal.

Did you tell the person marrying you that you are atheist?
If you did and they still gave you religious versions then find someone else, they are too stupid or they just don’t care.
Why are you paying them to write your own ceremony.

If you have a friend that’s a good speaker pay for them to get ordained and have them do it. They can choose The Satanic Temple.

Very much agree with this. You have to have someone you are can trust to not take over your day.

No, the wedding officiant gave them religious templates, not the other wedding participant! Don't say that they are stupid until you open the dictionary and look up the word officiant.

@JustRyanAgain
Whattt????

@JustRyanAgain "the person marrying you [plural]" is the wedding officiant. "the person you're marrying" is your betrothed. @darthfaja read and expressed himself correctly. It is common practice to say that a priest or minister or judge, etc., married us/you/them.

Just make sure to mention that love is a meaningless evolutionary trick to make us breed and that we cease to exist after our pointless lives. Stick to that and everything will be dandy.

My daughter just got married in October. We went through all the traditions they wanted to incorporate and then I literally wrote a script (like a screenplay/stageplay) for them. (Her in-laws changed something last minute and threw me off. My nephew said he could tell it was something that they messed up by deciding to change and not my clumsiness. ha!)

Also of note: their bartender became ordained to perform the ceremony and my mother warned me they may not be 'really' married because she doubted the validity of the 'pastor'.

Good luck!!!!!

Here's a sample secular script. I hope it's helpful: [thespruce.com]

And congratulations! =]

Thanks. I was about to do the same thing you did.

@KKGator Great minds!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:365403
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.