Agnostic.com

10 6

LINK Violent Buddhists Target Muslims in Myanmar: The Daily Show - YouTube

Just goes to show that ANY religion can be extremist and fanatical.

snytiger6 9 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Come on now, we can’t Genuinely be surprise by these actions when we practice the same forms of violence right in this country. For God sakes, we celebrate as a Nation with days off work and in some cases, with pay. We wear badges of honour to a job well done. So for the people who believe pointing fingers at the Buddhist actions is a good thing. Might I suggest opening a newspaper. For the rest of us, if we stick our heads in the sand towards to west it might be more pleasant. And the reason why I’m confident, is because we haven’t changed a damn thing.

It just seems people are people all over the world and those that are violent are that way because of a belief system which causes them to fear anyone who is different. Interesting how the human mind can justify what it wants to justify.

@michaelinlivonia I seriously didn't think I was judging Buddhists as I identify as a Buddhist. I actually was more or less judging all of mankind who decide that acts of terror and violence can be justified in some way.

It's not the only place. The Buddhist, Sinhalese majority in Sri Lanka have been violently repressing religious and ethnic minorities for decades.

Unfortunately true and the government are not doing anything. Ang Su Chi turned out to be a traitor.

Holy Fucking shit

bobwjr Level 10 June 26, 2019

Violent Buddhists, man, further proof that the world has gone fucking crazy!

@michaelinlivonia IKR?

Buddhism has the capacity for violence and evil, just like every other religion.

...or philosophy? I don't see that.

@Gareth Whether you see it or not, doesn't make it any less true.

I'd say it a bit differently: Buddhists have the capacity for violence and evil just like other humans.

@KKGator I might have hoped for a more thoughtful response, but you do you. 🙂

@Gareth I think there is a very visible gap between those who just practice Buddhism as a philosophy and/or guiding life principles and those who practice Buddhism as a religion.

@snytiger6 I agree. A lot of people who post comments don't seem to understand that.

Well, atheists can be violent too but it doesn't follow that atheism is a violent ideology. You have to show a causative link.

Gareth Level 7 June 26, 2019

Did you actually watch the video? The causative link is genocide due to ethnic cleansing. That's the cause... they think that Myanmar should be 100% Buddhist only, hence the Buddhists are targeting the only non-Buddhists that remain in the country. The fact that they are Muslim is honestly inconsequential, as it could literally be anyone who is not a Buddhist. And, even then, it may only be marginally better for Buddhists not of Myanmar stock. Hate doesn't need much motivation other than intolerance and ignorance to not only exist, but to succeed.

@Kafirah I couldn't watch the video as it's not uploaded for use in the UK. If the causative link is, as you say, "ethnic cleansing" then it's not "Buddhism" is it?

@Gareth Yes, it is Buddhism. Just because the atrocities are committed by supposed extremists doesn't change the ideology that they all share. That falls under the "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy. Christians use it all the time to denounce pedophile priests. Muslims use it all the time to denounce suicide bombers. Jews use it all the time to denounce the killing of Palestinians. This is no different.

@Kafirah Well, since Buddhists are technically atheists and definitely non-Christian, you could say with equal validity that atheism and lack of Christianity are mind-states that lead to violence. Not untrue, but hardly insightful. I think it's important to look beyond the labels and realise that this is actually an ethno-cultural conflict.

@Gareth Socio-political ethno-religio-cultural, to be specific. But the religion does play its part in genocide, as it always has. That is to say, that no genocide has ever occurred that wasn't religiously, culturally, ethnically, and politically motivated.

This is what a Muslim could say
and we in Western countries would say... you started it all?

We said Buddhism was the only faith that did not a violent history.... just until now

@VictoriaNotes

I should have said we had not seen Buddhist violence until the last 100-150 years unlike in the history in Islam and Christianity goes back to 1,500 to 2,000 years.

It is ironic that King Askoha in 268 to 232 BCE in India spread the message of peace and Buddhism to Sri Lanka and that place started violence in Buddhism's name.

King Ashoka had a terrible remorse after reviewing the battlefield covered in thousands of dead bodies after a great victory, renounced violence and accepted Buddhism when Hinduism was very strong. He sent his son Mahnindra and daughter Sanghmitra to Sri Lanka to take the message of Buddhism and spread peace.

I do not know of incidents of Buddhist violence in India's long Buddhism history. It is not their philosophy. Hinduism that calls itself peaceful has a violent history. In Bhagwat Gita, Lord Krishna himself convinces the warrior Arjuna that fulfilling your responsibilities is your dharma and it is therefore important to proceed and kill your cousins in the battlefield. lol... Hindus have been twisting it ever since to justify doing anything they want.

@Hebert54 Who knows? They all call themselves good Christians, peaceful Muslims, True Hindus and nonviolent Buddhists, but we know there are very bad people in religion.

@Hebert54
Right, hating and killing over my god vs. your god. The former longest serving Texas Governor Rick Perry said openly in an election campaign that he did not believe that you would go to heaven if you did not accept Jesus in your life. He got elected over and over again. That happened in the United States, not in a third world country.

1. A Christian believes that you cannot go to heaven and be a good human only if you don't accept Jesus in your life
  2. A Muslim believes that you are a kafir or an infidel if you don't follow Allah
  3. A Hindu believes violent and meat eating Christians and Muslims will not go to heaven
  4. A Jain believes that even Hindus who eat eggs or onions or potatoes or anything grown underground will not be loved by God
  5. Buddhists believe their teachings and way of life is superior and meaningful to those of all religions

So let us go and hate or kill the others. That is the real nature of religion. Charity and kindness are only masks to make them look good and benevolent.

@VictoriaNotes, @St-Sinner Exactly.

Asoka was the Buddhist equivalent to Constantine.

Arjuna has to fight because he was a warrior. It was his dharma or ‘duty’. He was not a priest or a merchant and he could not become a priest or a merchant.

He also understands that he is not killing them,as they cannot be destroyed.

The Mahabharata, of which the Bhagavad Gita is a part, is long and complex but sets out the basis for most Hindu ideology built on the Vedas and Upanishads.

@St-Sinner I think there is a very visible gap between those who just practice Buddhism as a philosophy and/or guiding life principles and those who practice Buddhism as a religion.

@snytiger6 You are absolutely right. Isn't it true about religions? Some use for good but some misuse it?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.