Agnostic.com

36 5

Would you allow your child to be given a christian baptism because it is important to your partner's family?

Even if you know that there is no such thing as original sin and your partner agrees that a baptism is just a tradition but it's important to their family as it is a tradition they feel is necessary. Would you allow it? Would you go to the event? Would you be open with your growing child dispel the nonsense that the child would hear when they are around their christian grandparents? Anyone deal with a partner that's reasonable and doesn't practice the religion of their birth but their family does?

4EvanSake 6 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, but I'm in a different position from most parents. I don't have a partner and technically my daughter doesn't have a dad. I've been divorced for about 25 years and I adopted her a couple of years ago. No husband = no dad. Those with a partner would have a much more difficult time.

Absolutely not! I'll teach my kid to swim on his own.

Sure, it's just a meaningless ceremony. I did it myself to shut my mother up.

Yes, I just go with the Flow... ain't important to me and I will let them know how little I think of the sacrament.

Fuck that

Yeah. it won't hurt anything.

It's not that big of a deal to me. It's not hurting anyone.

Nope. I lived it my whole childhood and vowed to never subject my children to it. I can also not just go along to pacify other family members. To me it condones it and opens the door for them to be relentless in trying to "save" me.

If it was important to my partner, then that would be compelling. Important to extended family, probably not. I imagine everyone's situation is different. If it's really important to them, they will probably do some under the sink baptism when you let them baby-sit. I'm pretty sure my mom did something like that with at least my oldest.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 14, 2018

Why did Christ get baptized if he was born without sin? The fuckin' Bible has to make sense. Gets my mad.

No, they would know ahead of time how I'm raising my child.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.