Agnostic.com

197 7

Should I attend a wedding at church as an atheist?

my daughter gets married soon and its in a church. i've made it a policy not to enter religious buildings as i don't believe and i'm not a hypocrite.
she's ok with it but her fiance's family are making life difficult. i will not go into a church.. therefore the question.
am i being a bit silly?

dragon4104 4 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

197 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would think your presence is important to her... believe in your daughter.
You don’t have to believe in religious, legal aspects of marriage. Think of future family events, births, deaths, potential christenings, it’s a package deal. Seriously how much of a sacrifice can it be? Fake it till you make it. Do it for her not for you or anyone else.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 20, 2017

You must go, it's your daughter, do it for no other reason.

why not? you just passively witness their union

Yes, you should celebrate you friends and family and their life events. If you were religious, and a friend was getting married in a different denomination or even a different religion, do you think you should go even if you don't believe in their beliefs?

i've gone one better. I am a licensed Notary Public, and read that getting ordination is a great way to add a service. So, I am ordained, and will perform your wedding for you (I have done two so far, for friends). I say the words they want, I sign the paperwork, and they are legally married.

It's a fun way to show your support. And since many religious people won't perform SSM, being willing and able to do so is important (I haven't performed one yet, but I was a witness to a friend's civil union years ago.)

Ozman Level 7 Dec 21, 2017

As a parent we should make sure our kids are happy and loved. Go to the church for her . I have a fear of churches myself that I will bursts into flames.

I've attended many different services of a wide variety of religions and have find it fascinating. I've never been made to feel unwelcome or out of place.

So, as long as heretics are not being tested or struck by divine lightening in the sancuary, I'd be good to go! I see no moral or ethical conflict with allowing others their beliefs.

Go to your daughters wedding. Make an exception.
It has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with loving her, you can never get the day back.
( If you have to make a point buy small Atheist pin and wear it)

Of course you should. This is your daughter's wedding. It's not about you. You don't have to pray or join in with any religious element of the service. Visiting a church doesn't make you a hypocrite, but boycotting your daughter's wedding because you don't like her choices would be devastating for her.
I don't know where you are based, but most churches over here in the UK are awesome buildings and worth a visit just to see the craftsmanship that went into them and to learn a bit of history about the area.
Make your daughter's day complete - it's what dad's need to do sometimes.
You know it makes sense! 🙂

What difference does the building it takes place in make...unless you are giving it some kind of mystical power? If you want to see the couple married, attend. If it was in an American Legion Hall and you were a communist, what would you do?

If that is the desire of your partner, let it be. If that is what they desire, let them be happy.

I don't see any problem, when the participants invite you, celebrate their happiness, and their willingness to include you in their union.

If you love your daughter, you should attend. From personal experience, I can attest that the building won't collapse on you.

My family is christian except for my husband and I. We have always felt that our family can believe as they wish as their beliefs have no power over us. When we attend family get togethers for birthdays, holidays, funerals, or marriage we observe our loved ones during any kind of prayer without bowing our heads or praying. We feel it is being loving toward our family to attend their get together's. I don't believe you would be a hypocrite by being there and observing what is happening. Your daughter will be much happier to have you there for her big day.

As an Atheist, or as your daughter's father? You can go, respecting your daughter's wishes without compromising your own values. You are being a bit silly with not going into religious buildings, as you should be comfortable enough in your own beliefs that simply entering a building will not affect them.

Why not its just a building, you know its all rubish and its your daughter

As long as you don't think you will catch on fire just from entering, Go ahead. You are there for your friends or family, not for their imaginary friend

Your saying that “she’s ok with it” may imply that your daughter is a non-believer also. If so she probably needs some moral support. If not your going would show unconditional love for her and as you are her mother, that should mean a lot to her. Don’t let her future husband’s family make you the villain at this event. My opinion.

gearl Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

Why refuse to go into a church? If you’re truly atheistic, then it’s just another building.

This is about your daughter, not about you and your non-beliefs. No one is going to go up in flames if you enter a church.

Put aside your prejudice (and yes it's a prejudice if you are contemplating on not going to your own daughter's wedding because of your opinion), and go. I'm pretty sure you'll regret it if you don't.

You would be there to honor the couple, not pray to god. Go and have fun.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

Yes, you should attend. Going into a church doesn't make you a hypocrite any more than walking into a garage makes you a car.

Why would your religious perspective keep you from entering a church, especially for your daughters wedding?? I mean, get a grip for chrissake!! We don't believe in gods doesn't make us vampires!

It's just a building. Don't give it any more importance than bricks and mortar. Enjoy your daughter's wedding. XXX

To respond to the building in another way gives credence to it's god.

I think you are being silly. I don't believe in magic but it doesn't stop me going to Disneyland.

I sympathise with you. I am a musician and, on occasion I'm called upon to perform in Churches, Cathedrals etc. Am I wrong for taking people's money to perform? Bach did it, a supposed Catholic that wrote Protestant works for money. At the end of the day, a Vicar or Priest will be happy to add their fee onto a funeral,wedding etc, so why the hell should I feel guilty. You are going to be there for your daughter. Not a god. She wants you there, not some imaginary sky daddy. Be there for a proud day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.