Agnostic.com

197 7

Should I attend a wedding at church as an atheist?

my daughter gets married soon and its in a church. i've made it a policy not to enter religious buildings as i don't believe and i'm not a hypocrite.
she's ok with it but her fiance's family are making life difficult. i will not go into a church.. therefore the question.
am i being a bit silly?

dragon4104 4 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

197 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What exactly do you think would happen? You spontaneously combust? Your face melts off? Just enjoy your kid's wedding.

Sethy Level 4 Jan 14, 2018

A bit silly. Perhaps a bit too rigid as well.
Go to the wedding. It is their day. Celebrate it with them.

Really? You can't honor a friend or relatives' wedding just because you don't believe? Don't you realize the churches are full of unbelievers? Who cares?

It's your daughter's wedding. Only you will know if you're going to regret not having attended later on. If you think living with that regret, but maintaining your principles, is worth it, then don't go. If you think you'll be miserable with the regret, then go. It's one day, but an important day in your child's life. Good luck. I don't envy you having to make this decision.

Yes. You are being silly. Go to your daughter wedding! Is not about you, it's about her.

Sure why not - the ceremony is meant to honor people who are most likely your friends. I don't feel obligated to announce my viewpoint though

I don't know why not go in. It's a building and you are going to celebrate the love between two people, hopefully regardless of what they believe. I personally love the architecture of holy buildings, particularly the old cathedrals as artwork rather than some place of worship. It's a building. Different people are allowed to feel differently about the buildings. As long as you don't decide to break out in hymns or praise God yourself which would be the real hypocrisy since you don't really believe, who really cares?

I would like to add if anyone invites you a simple "No thank you" is plenty and if they persist just remind them you are there for the sake of your daughter getting married and to please respect that.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

And actually I love a good sing song, so I'd sing the hymns too at the top of my voice, just because singing is fun! Even more fun when you leave out some of the words like "god" or "jesus" and substitute "dog" & "sneezes". XXX

IMO, you're being silly. Principles are great until they start to negatively affect the important relationships in your life. Even if your daughter is fine with your actions sooner or later it will become an issue in her relationship with her in-laws which will in turn most likely become an issue in her marriage...that will end up as tension in your relationship with her.

Go to the wedding and celebrate your daughters wedding as a proud parent.

Your belief is in your family. Go. Be her father. Even walk her down the aisle, if she asks. Don't be a drama queen, that is her day, don't try to make it about you and your needs.

You aren't going to catch anything going in to a church - nothing contagious in there! Knowing something is a myth gives you the freedom to come and go in anything knowing it doesn't mean you have to adhere to it. I am a vegetarian, but, I join people in a steak house restaurant all the time - doesn't meant I have to have a steak just because I am walking in- that's as confining as the dogma of religion! You join the people you care about. Don't act like you are afraid of religion - be loving to you daughter - don't cause issues for her - please!

Of course. It's a celebration of people you care about. Go to the wedding.

Of course you're being silly. SHE IS YOUR DAUGHTER. Ive attended several weddings over the years. You don't have to participate in the prayer. Its just a building. Go to your daughters wedding.

I’m with others. Go and enjoy the event. It’s easy to tune out the religious aspects of the ceremony. A building is just a building. Hell, if the place is home to evangelicals, then they should share the same opinion because the church is the people.

Go in there after a couple of big bong rips ......yeah! fly.........just be fly!!!!

I don't think its hypocritical to go to a wedding, its kind, you don't have to join in the service, you can sit at the back and enjoy someone else's pageantry with their beliefs, without sullying your own beliefs. If it would make someone else happy seems like a humanist thing to do as I see it and I guess its really down to you to make that call or not.

If you’re going for those types of reasons then I don’t see why not. Go for it!!! Congrats on your daughter’s wedding!

I am a little confused at your response. I am an atheist and when my daughter got married I went to the church. To me it is just a building. I won't put anymore meaning into it than what it is--a building. This is one of the biggest days in her life. You should be there celebrating with her. Don't let a building, no mater what it signifies to others get in the way.

I would go for her. it's not like they check id at the door. I would also stand in respect and just listen and follow along. you don't have to say anything out loud. my parents are the same way, not against entering...when I got married in her church they came FOR ME. not the inlaws. ME. they followed along and went through the motions. no harm no foul

It's all about your Daughter, the brick and mortar that surrounds the event is irreverent if you want it to be.

I too hate anything to do with religion and find churches cold and unfeeling. But for my brother I stepped into one for his wedding to wish him well and see him marry his wife. Both him and his wife are very religious, but they repect my non belief of any supreme being as I respect theres

On the plus side I didn't burst into flames

Why not, you can even count your blessings it’s not you getting married. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 8, 2018

Yes.

Why, are you afraid of - "God?"
Would you refuse to go inside St. Peter's Cathedral to see all the beautiful architecture because it's "religious?"
To act as though a religious building had some sort of meaning and power over you seems illogical...it's just another building.
If your daughter wants to get married in a church, it's not a big deal - better to make her happy.

Screw the dogma, go see your daughters wedding.

Yeah, I think it's silly to refuse to enter a religious building. I don't believe either but don't feel it makes me a hypocrite to enter a church, temple, or mosque. I also think if it were my daughter I would want to be there with her no matter where the wedding was being held. Religious buildings can be full of art and history and can be quite beautiful places. If you feel so strongly as to miss your daughter's wedding, follow your heart, but is it worth missing?

Maybe it's like the story a venerable family member told of a woman in her day that always covered her body when she went out. If a blouse was short, she added fabric, etc. That, the lady said, was all about pride.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.