Agnostic.com

197 7

Should I attend a wedding at church as an atheist?

my daughter gets married soon and its in a church. i've made it a policy not to enter religious buildings as i don't believe and i'm not a hypocrite.
she's ok with it but her fiance's family are making life difficult. i will not go into a church.. therefore the question.
am i being a bit silly?

dragon4104 4 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

197 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, you should go. Remember it's just bricks and mortar and has no significance other than that. And probably the people who built it weren't believers either - especially if it's an old building - here in England I always march into churches, cathedrals etc, and claim my rights, as most of the poor people who gave their tithes and labour to build it were coerced into doing so. I also never put any money in the box for the church's upkeep - my ancestors already contributed! Go and enjoy your daughter's wedding, in the building and out, and have a dance for me! X

SURE.

For your friends who are getting married, and to show the religious types that WE are not the narrow-minded ones.

The building doesn't have a religion.

Do you love your daughter? I think this trumps everything!

Before I made that decision I would need to know if and what sort of food is being served. That may sound petty but compared to your self centered obsession with your image and how people see you that you would dis your daughter that way is beyond words. However, in the long run you may be doing her a favor. This all begs the question, " who do you think cares so much about what you think concerning god"?

All my relatives are strict RC and I am an atheist but that doesn't keep me from going into a church or temple to look and learn and broaden my horizon.

It would be a great wedding present for your daughter to to her wedding. I think marriage of a child should be an exception.

Sure ... as long as your skin doesnt start to burn as the church's shadow falls across your skin.

Should and Ought s are incredibly slippery articles, I go into churches withot feeling that I am betraying my principles -I tend to base myself around the idea of love, and for me going to my daughters wedding would be where I relax my principles but seriously its your call

Yes, you are. The location or place of your daughters wedding should not matter to you, that is about "her" and her partner. Your job is to be the loving supportive non judgemental parent. That is what UN conditional love means. You will regret it and no matter what your daughter says she will feel loss. Unless your a jerk and she is relieved to not have you present.

I think you ought to make an exception since it is your daughter's wedding. Going into a church doesn't make you a hypocrite. You are not changing your beliefs, you are just going into a building to witness and share in an event of a loved one. I'm not sure how you would consider yourself a hypocrite by going into a religious building.

I don't see why not. Especially if it's family or a close friend. We have to choose our battles. I think it would be disrespectful to blow off someone's wedding because it was held at a church. That's just my opinion.

Its your life your choice totally I don't think youre silly and maybe theres a compromise somewhere like maybe being outside to kiss your daughter and make a fuss of her after teh ceremony , You have made your own rules you can make some more .

To use an old saw, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. Listen to what everyone has said and go, support your daughter and let go of old, needless, baggage.

I attended my son's wedding in a church. There are no religious buildings it was built to house religious rituals, but that obviously doesn't imbue it with special significance. I see religious buildings as just another building full of people with weird beliefs. They're just like any other public building.

I don't attend religious services, but I am glad I was there for my son's wedding.

JimG Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

wHY NOT? You go there to be part of your friend / relative's happiness and no to pay attention to what the priest is saying.

Sure! Go, go! I've found that keeping one's beliefs or disbeliefs private is just as easy as keeping one's sex life private. Why should it be an issue?

no, your not being silly. I vowed never to set foot in church as long as I live. If I get married it will be outside or at a courthouse. be true to yourself.

Please don't miss your daughter's wedding because it's happening in a church. A church is just a store where they sell something they can't prove exists. You won't be forced to buy anything, but you'll regret not being a part of this super important moment in your daughter's life, and it could taint your relationship with her forever. Your policy is not worth that.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

Are you there to "worship" or support your friend?

Attend your daughter's wedding. A church is brick and mortar, just a building.
A wedding is special to all who attend. Please don't miss the celebration because of principle.

Yes, you're being silly, self-centered AND selfish - the day isn't about you (despite your attempts to make it so) it's about your daughter - who gives two sh-ts where it takes place? As a non-theist, I might not embrace religion but I'm not so anal in my position that I wouldn't enter a church for a friend's/relatives wedding or funeral because neither event is about me. This need to shout out to the world "look at me I am an atheist - I'm so superior" is foreign to me - I don't get it - I don't respect it and it's not productive. You're worried about being hypcritical - to who? If you didn't wear your atheism on your sleeve - who would know? And if no one knew and you were seen attending a church wedding - who would view you as a hypocrite? If it's a personal thing - get over yourself - it might seem like harsh advice but there's decades of experience behind it.

A bit silly doesn't come close to covering it. At the start I thought this was some random friends wedding in which case it was a bit silly would be about right, but this is your daughter so get off your high horse and walk her down that aisle or do whatever other stupid ritual will make everyone happy.
Fundamentalism is not pretty whoever is doing it, even an Atheist.

Kimba Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

It would be cool to discover if you burst into flames! If not, ask the pastor why at the end of the service.

Yes you are. You are stubbornly refusing to enter a place of whoreship ( deliberate miss spelling 😉 ) in order to be true to your principals. Normally I would salute you but it's your daughter's wedding!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.