Agnostic.com

197 7

Should I attend a wedding at church as an atheist?

my daughter gets married soon and its in a church. i've made it a policy not to enter religious buildings as i don't believe and i'm not a hypocrite.
she's ok with it but her fiance's family are making life difficult. i will not go into a church.. therefore the question.
am i being a bit silly?

dragon4104 4 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

197 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's your daughter's day. And it's her fiance's official entry into the family. I think you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's more important to remain true to your ideology or to be present for your family. Or maybe there's a creative solution that would allow you to participate in some way but not enter the church. Ultimately, the decision rests your shoulders. Good luck in your discernment.

Sure! I have been in many churches, different kinds of churches, for all kinds of reasons. It has never affected my Atheism in the least because they have no proof of their imaginary god(s). And besides, whether your are religious or not should be your decision.

Go to your daughter wedding. This isent about a belief in a god. This is about a major event in your daughter life and i'm assuming she would like you to be there.

I agree. I've been to many weddings between Atheists, Jews, Wiccan, even Hindu. Its the PERSON you're honoring, not the religion.

To be fair, I only go to churches/chapels if there is a wedding or funeral too so... To be honest going to a church/chapel is no real big deal, if your "faith" in your beliefs is that strong it doesn't matter if it's a city hall, church, synagogue or even a beach, you will be there to support your daughter and that's the main thing. Speaking from someone whom lost a father at 18, any support at any kind of milestone is GREATLY more important than anything else. What I don't like is the in-laws weighing in. A guilt-trip won't help, it'll hinder. Gotta love "good" Christians, eh? You should go and prove that you don't need religion to be a good person, as Mrs Roosevelt said "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." Are you going to let some people whom spend an hour a week speaking and demanding wishes from an imaginary friend make us look bad? Do what you want now, but when your daughter looks back at her life and sees you supporting her even against your own wishes/beliefs... Well, that can give her a right and royal boost 🙂

It is not hypocrisy for an atheist to enter any building. That is, after all, what it is. A building. You do not need to participate in their bullshit. Just be respectful, resist laughing, and wait till the services are over. Then exit the building, exhale, and once you're out of the parking lot, laugh your ass off. Simple, and you don't miss your daughter's wedding -- that's the important part.

I think if you went it would be because you are celebrating the union of two people regardless of their or your own religious beliefs. In other words. I would go so they know that I also celebrate the union of two lovely people.

Thank you all for your advice and comments, a meeting was had and a concensus was reached. it was decided that i would not enter the building but that i would wait outside. works for me and no-one will be upset.

yes indeed..here's to plenty of liquid refreshment

Simple answer , go support your daughter, and her soon to be husband. Family is important, labels , and the separation they bring are irrelevant., and Ego based. Ego thrives on conflict, and misery because it’s false. If you have a good relationship with your daughter nothing should stand in the way of that.

I go to worship for entertainment and because one of my good friends is a pastor. I attend pro wrestling events even though I know that wrestling isn't real. I don't feel hypocritical.

Yes, I am the same I do not go and Bow my head to a GOD that I do not believe exists, but that is the point when I have attended Weddings and funerals I go, but I do not be a Sheeple and just bow my head for the sake of comfortably, A church is only a building a house for those to sit, kneel or stand and do what they do, I would conciser that to be a house just like any others persons house just with an open door policy, I would go to my Christian or Mormon' friends house, so why not a church, its just a building that was actually built on the old Brettons; Paigan burial sites were located for integration, so yeah just don't let anyone make you feel bad about not preying to a non-entity and foreign religion or whatever, enjoy the moment and memories!

All the best!

Craig Level 1 Nov 23, 2017

We do, at times, put up with a lot to celebrate special occasions with our loved ones. However, we do it because we care about them and will often put their happiness ahead of our own. Long story longer, this is one of those times you put aside your beliefs. Your daughter will appreciate it and never forget it; guaranteed. Enjoy the wedding friend!

Why do you have to be anything, go in respect for them, you don't have to accept their religion.lighten up

Give it up for Jesus and go support your daughter. That's way more important than a principle that puts too much value on the venue.

Absolutely! Unless,of course, you're considering burning it down.

I find cathedrals, churches, temples and some theistic memorials very beautiful. And unless they are waterboarding suspected heretics prior to the wedding I would not feel I was being dishonest in my convictions to watch my only daughter take part in a religious ceremony.

It's one thing to have the strength of your convictions and another to bear them with an open heart and mind. You would not be ascribing validity to a faith by attending you daughter's wedding. But, by not attending, I believe you would be doing something both of you would regret for a long time.

its just another building and I like churches. I would love to make a house out of one. it's not being a hypocrite as your not becoming a believer as you step into a church. lots of vicars are bloody child molesters

Sure, I'll go to a friend's wedding wherever they choose to have it. Just try to not be obvious when you roll your eyes at the religious mentions...

it is not your wedding it is her wedding.

People remember stuff like this for decades and it can really make things bitter. I say go, principals are important but it is her day.

I think at weddings and funerals you are not required to believe what the church believes. You don't have to pretend to believe, but it's also not the time to put your beliefs front and center. Let your daughter have the wedding she wants, and go because you believe in love. These ceremonies always seem a little bit weird to me, and I am either amused or uncomfortable or outright creeped out , but it's important to be there for your loved ones. Not going makes it about you. and its her wedding so it isn't about you.

jmott Level 3 Dec 18, 2017

Sure! Your attendance is not a statement of belief or validation of the church. Attend as an act of love for your daugher ... been there done that! I see a church as a place of peace.

Why not? the church won't crumble... you won't disintegrate. Once you step out, the sky will still be there above you. Celebrate the union of love as they wish.

Sure, why in the world not? Be polite and close your eyes as appropriate as well. Show them the same respect you want.

Go to your daughters wedding yes they WILL try a use this oppertunity to try and convert you, but you are only there for her. If they don't or rather won't understand that, than the way they feel is of their own making.

Like the majority of posts, I too go to Church for weddings, funerals, tourism.

My oldest son was married outside, my youngest son just got married in a old German Lutheran Church to please the grandparents on the brides side. Short & sweet,

My daughter is getting married in 2019 to a guy who comes from a large catholic family & Her future mother-in-law has commented that it had been important to her that her boys were married in a Catholic Church. My daughter wants to get married outside. Which is great, i just remind my daughter to be mindful not to offend her future in-laws as they are good people and are good to her.

ags2 Level 5 Dec 19, 2017

Yes, you are being silly. Think of the church as just another building. It is one of the most important days in your daughter's life and she will always remember that day and you being there for her. If you sit it out you don't get a mulligan.You don't have to participate in the service or bow down to some golden idol or huge cross. It's your daughter, for Christ sake.. LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.