Agnostic.com

197 7

Should I attend a wedding at church as an atheist?

my daughter gets married soon and its in a church. i've made it a policy not to enter religious buildings as i don't believe and i'm not a hypocrite.
she's ok with it but her fiance's family are making life difficult. i will not go into a church.. therefore the question.
am i being a bit silly?

dragon4104 4 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

197 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree that religious in-laws ARE A REAL PROBLEM and boycotting their fraud business buildings is NOT SILLY .....none the less be there for your daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner and reception/parties. .....we Atheists ARE NOT HYPOCRITICAL as witnesses present @ any religious ritual .....religionists ARE HYPOCRITICAL as they mumble go along and bow their heads pretending alleged deities are present & participating IN ANY WAY zero prEyers HAVE EVER BEEN ANSWERED during 8 thousand years of known religious rituals. ....after the wedding kindly and softly ask your daughter if any alleged gawds answered the church wedding ritual words? Ask your son-in-law the same question @ a convenient moment when zero other people are in eyesight or earshot. ....let it all go at that....we Atheists don't "de-convert" believers. ....if your daughter and new son or grandchildren WANT TO BE Atheists. ...they have to think critically for themselves read their bibles completely to comprehend all the lies insanity misogyny genocide and absurdities therein. ....2nd Kings 15:16 is good enough with 3 other quotes to prove alleged gawd Jehovah LOVES VIOLENT MASS ABORTIONS AND RAPE OF VIRGINS. ....be patient & let your daughter run her own house with available Atheist ammunition

Entering a building is no more an endorsement of religion than touring the White House would be an endorsement of whoever happened to be the president at the time. Attend the wedding.

How is it hypocritical to enter a religious building?

Ungod Level 6 Apr 28, 2018

Yes, you are being silly. You are there for them, not the religion.

I used to feel very uncomfortable at churches; maybe for similar reasons. Now I maintain an objective distance & observe them like an anthropologist might attend a tribal ceremony in Africa or where ever. They probably don't adhere to any of the participants' beliefs. It helps if you read up on religion a bit. It also helps if your relatives are really religious nuts like my in laws who think the end of the world is nigh.

Carin Level 8 June 6, 2018

Its your daughter. Go to her wedding. You will regret it later if you dont. Your daughter should be more important than self imposed bans from religious buildings.

I don't consider it disrespectful to enter a religious building as an atheist, as long as you BEHAVE respectfully. It's your daughter's wedding, and you are there for HER. Weddings are a celebration of love, not necessarily religion. Your daughter's marriage is important to her, and it would be best if you could attend if possible. Just make sure they know not to pressure you if they are particularly religious.

Exactly.

If you don't go that won't be so bad either. Just think, it's like a 95% chance she will get divorced in a few years. At that time you can say I told ya so.

Although the ceremony itself may be held in a religious venue and there may be trapping of religious nonsense and tradition in the wedding, it is about your daughter and her hearts chosen. You should be there for her. You are not paying or giving any respect to the church by being there, because you are there for them. Do not miss out on an important event in your child's life. It is easier to deal with a moments discomfort than a lifelong regret.

Very well typed.

No you are continuously think through obstacles to Atheism. “ this above all else ... to thine own self be true. I can’t answer the question but you beg the question and yet possess the answer

You don't attend a wedding to assert your beliefs or lack thereof with respect to the deity of that particular building, you're there to share in the couple's happy moment of getting joined. Going into that building isn't conceding that you think their god delusion has any merit, and doesn't make you a hypocrite. The actual marriage license doesn't specify any kind of deity, but it does have the name of the state on it.

If you want to toe a line with respect to religious rituals, you could do what I do and just refuse to do things like recite prayers, close your eyes, or bow your head while in attendance. But there's no good reason to miss out on your daughter's happy day over this - her getting married isn't about religion, it's about her declaring her intent to spend (hopefully) the rest of her life with the person that is making her happy.

You would be there to witness the joining of two people who are going to promise to love honour and worship. OK its held in a building that happens to be religious. Don't worry you won't be struck down by lightening, besides you might enjoy your daughters wedding.

Refusing to attend a special moment in your child's life is extremely petulant. If I had a child that bowed to Satan and they were to be married in front of the altar of evil, I would be there to support them.
I've noticed that quite a few on here are aggressive when it comes to beliefs and I am instantly reminded of Christian missionaries. Some have put it forward that 'we' must fight to show them that they are wrong. I will now quote from the book of Larry, chapter 2 verses 3-5. And it came to pass that I gaveth not one shit. And I tarried forth for a bit. And then I still gaveth not one shit what altar others may flock to.

Is that also another lost book, that that of Rufus?

@Davesnothere
Great movie!

What is of MORE import,
not going into a building which espouses things you do not believe
OR
being there for your daughter on her wedding day?

Yes, excruciatingly so. You are making your daughter's wedding about you! What is going to happen to your precious scruples if you enter the church. They will still be dragging you along behind them when you come out, so no change their. Perhaps your daughter isn't okay with it and she loves you too much to tell you how short-sighted and introspective you are being.

Support your daughter. This is her day. You love her then you will forego your conscience for one day.

Yes very silly - I'm a dyed in the wool atheist but love devotional music and visiting churches of all faiths because I'm an atheist not a bloody philistine. Support your daughter on her day and stop being an arse.

Dude, I’m building a fucking church. I hate it, but, well, gods don’t provide and unfortunately I need my job.

After reading the comments here from others most are saying that you are "silly" not to attend. Why? Because they think you should go since they would. However, the more people you listen to the more confused you will get and eventually be swayed one way or another into doing something that you are on the fence about. You must do what is right by you and your daughter. That's my opinion.

jsbach Level 5 July 14, 2018

Go to the wedding, missing this event will haunt your relationship for the rest of your life. I attended and participated in my exs neices babtism because her sister asked and its polite.

Weddings are my one exception. I would never want to miss out on such a special event. If my children marry religious people I will still attend their weddings. I will not pray while I am there.

Since you ask for opinions...

There's no god, so there's no significance about the building to you, right?

I've gone to funerals with religious services and gritted my teeth. I've gone to see my daughter in church plays. It's not about me... it's about other people. I can't be so hung up on myself as to let myself miss out on the lives of people I love.

You, however, should do what you feel comfortable with.

If you want my opinion, you're being unreasonable. You can go inside a church as an atheist and not be a hypocrite if it means supporting your loved ones. You're only a hypocrite if you go to church regularly, bow your head and pray, and then leave calling yourself an atheist.

I think you need to decide whose big day it is, and if your daughter is more important to you than some silly policy. Because in the end you refusing to share in her special day just because it's inside a building you don't like is unfair to her, and it's making her wedding about you.

Yes you are being silly. Go to your daughters' wedding.

It's your Daughter. Don't be a dumbass. Supporting your family is more important. You're not being asked to preach a sermon or dedicate your life to silly nonsense. Not going because of "Religious difference" will make you look like douche. Make the smart choice and go to the wedding.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.