Agnostic.com

51 3

Why would, or wouldn't, you date a believer?

Why would you, or why wouldn't you, date a believer?

OldHippieAtHeart 6 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have to always be aware that a time might come when your lover cries because an invisible part of you is going to burn forever in a mythical place as decreed by a jealous man who lives in the sky. You have to change beliefs in order to fix this. If it never happens you are OK. Some people make this sort of change to save their marriage.

It's a matter of intellect. Don't care for ignorance.

It depends on how much of a believer they are. If they're just a casual believer then it shouldn't be a problem. If they're really steeped in their belief then we probably wouldn't even be in a situation to date anyway.

It would depend on how big their tits were 😉

The first honest man here

I am in a relationship with one. As long as he doesn't push it on me, or use it to make decisions that affect both of us, it really doesn't matter.

Makes two of us. She backs away from me when she hears thunder. She figures God is getting ready to throw thunderbolts and His aim might be a little off.

I wouldn't. I try to avoid the deliberately delusional.

Absolutely not. The misogyny that comes along with it is a killer.

Yes, of course I would...Some atheists can be uptight assholes. I’m not trying to control anyone’s belief system. If it makes them a better more lovable person, I don’t care what they believe.

I would never, ever let a religious person enjoy this body ever. Never. Ever.

I don't have a complete ban on dating a religious person. OTOH, if someone's profile on a dating site says things like, "god comes first in my life", or "my church and god are important to me", I quickly move on.

I would as long as they are not fanatical about it like the evangelical Christians

bobwjr Level 10 July 15, 2019

I could not date a believer. I could never take their opinion seriously enough to even become good friends.

Me: Do you have a moment? I need help thinking through a decision I need to make.
Them: You are a good person. The universe/god will make sure you choose correctly.
Me: ... Yeah... I'm just gonna call someone else.

I only date intelligent people who believe in science and facts, not fairy tales.

Good question. Once I find out a lady believes in nonsense I leave her to her alone. Even if she's fundamentally a good person, the difference in worldview will eventually contaminate the relationship.

What is really matter to me is the love and chemistry.

If they let you get that far!

Been there, done that. No, no, no, won't date, but will sleep with a theist.

I've tried the "religious or not" heuristic for dating. The girl's brother pointed a rifle at me for declining to get engaged with her anyway, because I didn't consider that the host culture was a bunch of morons. -D.Z.

It seems silly to preclude someone based on that alone given the scarcity of mates as is.

I would as long as they don't try to convert me. I'll even discuss religion or the existance of God. Of course, it takes a special person to be open enough to have a respectful conversation contrary to your beliefs.

As long as they respected my beliefs. Once had a relationship with someone who had studied to be a priest. Insisted we join a Unitarian Universalist Church. We did for a year - too many problems.

I dated a few when I was in college. Nice guys but I knew I wouldn’t marry someone with such a different spiritual framework. I could go for someone who believes in a sort of amorphous god — like the universe’s energy — but I can’t connect with someone who believes in a God who can intercede in human lives.

UUNJ Level 8 July 15, 2019

Only if she doesnt believe I am going to a bad scary fiery place when I die.

J75243 Level 6 July 15, 2019

I would absolutely date a believer. I consider myself lucky to have been able to release myself from the shackles of religion. I realize that not everyone has been so lucky. As long as they were a lover of science, a good and decent human being, and respectful of my position I can't imagine having a problem with it. And yes, many who believe in science and seek the truth believe in god. The human mind is complex.

A lover of science and a believer can't exist together. They don't share the same mode of thinking.

@Healthydoc70 That's just not true. I know many good scientists who have a belief in god. I am a trained scientist and I used to believe in god. Like I said, the human brain is complex.

Well, I don't see any reason why not. Both have to know where the other stands and the respect must be mutual.

It is a question of what am I dating for? If I am only looking for a nymphomaniac and she thinks me the best lover in the universe - it is doable. If I'm looking for synergy then it is most unlikely.

Nope I like to interact with people who live in reality.

I would not date a believer because I would feel that I would either have to argue over beliefs, or lie about my own (even worse). It's really important to me to share similar beliefs with someone I date long-term.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:374184
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.