Agnostic.com

8 1

As a woman, if you were planning a fall weekend hiking trip, how would you shop for it?

1. Online discount camping gear stores? 2. Thrift shops? 3. High end retail stores? 4. Would you buy men's clothing to save money, such as socks, hiking boots, silk long johns, flannel shirts, etc.
  2. design and sew you own custom clothing?

I'd buy socks, boots, long johns using 1. and 4. I'd buy coats at 2. and my clothing would probably be 5.

birdingnut 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I generally do a wind and waterproof garment over a good (crushable) sweater and maybe two other wicking layers under that.
Are you hiking where water is available on trail?

I can run up flights of stairs here.

My lungs were not prepared for the altitude climb needed in the Grand Canyon.

I felt like I was strangling.

lol. Pathetic sea-level critter

NObody is prepared for the Grand Canyon.
When I was living in Durango, CO, at over 6500 feet, I'd run to the top of the mesa-ANimas Mountain, above the town every morning just before dawn. We often went camping and hiking at the Grand Canyon but I knew not to go too far down the trail, and to leave plenty of time to get back up.

Boots- buy new but break in
Everything else could come from a thrift shop. Are planning on making this a repeat performance?

I have all that stuff on hand , aquired from all different sources : Amazon, thrifts, yard sales etc.

Used to do a lot of hiking and mountain climbing and the most important accessory you need no m atter the climate is good hiking boots. They should be broken in first. Never wear new boots.I have bought boots at outdoor outlets in my area for what you can buy on-line but I would want to try on boots-even though you can return them. LL Bean,Land's End, and EddieBauer all have mail order. Since I've been outdoors person for years I'd skip long johns unless you go camping in snow. Layers are the key to hiking. Down vest not jacket. For socks and flannel shirts I go to my closet.

I wore my hiking boots to work since half my day is spent before we open so was able to break mine in that way. They teased me the first couple of days but everyone knows I'm strange anyway LOL

Footwear and underwear are the only things I insist on buying new. Everything else I buy used from where ever is most convenient or least expensive

You need to be sure your boots fit and good socks.

Coincidently, I am going on a 3 day hiking/camping/geocaching trip next weekend.
When it is items I am not super familiar with, I will go into stores and check them out after checking out online. Sometimes I go ahead and purchase at store.

I have plantar fasciitis so I bought my hiking boots in person at Bass Pro. Other clothing I will buy online once I am familiar with how it fits.

I have absolutely no problem with buying used or discounted gear. My tent is used, and my cooler is one I got with marlboro miles back in the day.

Glad you like your tent. Used to run Marlboro Gear Van Program

@sassygirl3869 I never used the marlboro tents but my grandkids did, It's the cooler that was marlboro. I have the chili set and the blue cookware set as well. A flashlight, ashtrays, lighters etc. I got a nice jacket that I gave to my then boyfriend. Dumbass that I was LOL

Still have my jackets and cooler after 20 years.

I'd forgotten the Marlboro stuff. Surprisingly good quality for promo goods.

For hiking in what I guess might still be good weather do the silk underwear.

If it happens to rain it drys quickly.

Absolutely number 1: I shop locally for what I want, then find it online at campmor.com. Is that cheating? I buy men's socks and flannel shirts, but hiking boots (which reminds me, I need a new pair) are custom made for my feet at that local retailer. No matter what, hike naked, whatever - boots are the most important thing, and I will pay a good price for them. You get what you pay for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37504
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.