Agnostic.com

45 6

What do you think the world be like with out religion?

I think it would a more peaceful and enlightened world. The planet and its people would be a lot better off. I know I'm a lot better off without religion. It's quite liberating.

freedom41 9 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No wars

lerlo Level 8 July 19, 2019

Religion is merely a system by which to control large masses of people. The world might be even more chaotic & dangerous than it currently is without the imposition of religious doctrine. Religion is also an attempt to explain the world when science fails. Democracy is a system whereby folks attempt to govern themselves. There is no utopia so let us pray. =0}

Communism/Marxism, Islam, and Catholicism are all social engineering systems attempting to control large numbers of people. Islam is by far the most successful. Without the "death for apostasy" edict, Islam would have died out centuries ago.
Today, the "New World Order" and Islam are the greatest threats to the well-being of humanity.

I’d miss the inspired art, the architecture, the music, the incredible food and dancing at Santero parties and the witches....I’ve met some truly wonderful and sexy Wiccan ladies over the years...sigh...

I don't see a lot of difference in our world if the dominant myths, all created by males, suddenly lost credibility and were abandoned. The world would still remain male dominated and the formerly dominant myths of one kind, focused on the next life as a means of manipulating people/masses would be replaced by the existing kind and perhaps some new ones about this life.

Because a thought system, theology or political ideology changes, it doesn't mean it is any closer to reality; in fact people are more likely to subscribe to more unrealistic, exotic; even romantic doctrines because it is easier to draw upon far-fetched myths to explain things. They have lots more latitude.

As some addicts will pride themselves on having 'kicked' one type addiction, it isn't uncommon to see them simply replace it with another addiction and declare themselves free of dependence. I see many former 'believers' abandon theologies, gods and such only to double down on or adopt equally absurd ideological mythically based thought systems.

The same type principles and phenomena are what I'd expect from a world that rejected theologies. Men, the least qualified, lesser equipped of our kind at handling authority, would continue to lead humanity with the help of male myths, male gods and deeply flawed notions that women are somehow less than males.

Now THERE is a belief system out of touch with reality! To paraphrase the findings from clinical experience as long ago as 1949, it was observed that the further a thought system was removed from reality, the more intolerance and cruelty were required to maintain it...

Great question.
About the same, unless you also subtract ideology and other belief systems.
Since that's impossible, the only alternative is to turn it over to AI and let all macro decisions be made purely based on rational, pragmatic, result-oriented grounds.
Of course, humans would always be in control of the AI, so parameters could be adjusted until the right algorithims were devised for maximum effectiveness.

Much the same. Just different points of disagreement and conflict!

Hard to say. I think we would find another reason to be barbarians to each other. Some good would come of it though, and some bad.

Probably calmer and more peaceful, but I could well be wrong about that.......

That will take about another 100 years

gater Level 7 July 19, 2019

@Billboy No - with the internet, each generation moves further from religion.

We would be more advanced less ignorance, more intelligence, less wars, more progress, atheists are I heard about 25% of the population their moving up. in percentage than it was years ago Intelligence is what put a man on the moon, science, not religious ignorance, by the way It's the 50th anniversary of the moon landing in 1969 Some of the atheists organizations help people in need also, and even help the college kids out too I heard.t Theres other things too like abortion, oppression,too and others things in religion teachings, that are wrong, religion sugar coats everything. like everything is going to be alwright when actually It's the opposite, they create another reality that doesn;t exist. It tends to calm some people that believe it, but it's still damaging, I'ts not worth it.i.

ml58n2 Level 7 July 19, 2019

We can only IMAGINE. To see the people without superstitious guilt, sin and so on would most likely bring out the creativity in us. If we truly saw each other as homo sapiens, we would be one. but then comes this asshole god who says no fun or thinking beyond what that book says

EMC2 Level 8 July 19, 2019

No Human is limited to their own imagination except through fear. We can work on positivity and creativity especially in science at any time. Then we could report successes and spread good practice so that the whole world would get to know how to carry things forward themselves.

TRUST HUMANITY.

All you have to do to find out is visit North Korea.

For some reason I fear for my safety, in the current state the world is in. The concept is good for the country. Maybe with some tweaking it could benefit the world.

Not true at all, Sorry, Being a slave state does not mean without god, just a shit leader is all. Look at Iceland who now have the fewest churches . Europe has a majority of non believers, So I would say look at the places that actually practice freedom of religion. Hell North Korea has nothing to do with the world view of morality.

@maturin1919 It’s been tried over and over. Someone decides that they will “remove religion” as you put it. First off, to think that your opinion about religion is the only correct one requires arrogance and condescension. Second, to think that you even CAN “remove religion” requires a dictatorial mind-set of the first order. Finally, to actually “remove religion” would require bloodshed and brutality.

Leave people alone. You don’t have the whole picture.

Though officially Cheondoist, the DPRK mirrors the Judeo-Christian god not only in a key aspect of authoritarian structure, the “holy trinity” of Kim Il-Sung, Kim Jong-Il, and Kim Jong-Un, but also in their virtuous characteristics, or lack thereof, in this case. The incessant demand to be worshipped by its inhabitants, the draconian consequences for petty crimes or non-crimes, the torture of their people via famine and other methods, and the egregious levels of jealousy and insecurity are all qualities possessed by both Yahweh and North Korea to comparable extents. The dysfunctional essence of the nation pertains less to its epistemological position of deity claims and more to the characteristics it shares with the biblical god character.

@palex I get your point. North Korea is probably not the best example. However, vast areas of the earth are or have been under the control of atheists—people who do not claim to be gods, such as Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. Look at “State Atheism” in Wikipedia.

One example is Mexico. You can read here about it and see the bodies of the religious hanging from power poles along a roadway.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

My point remains. No one need wonder what life would be like under atheism.

@WilliamFleming Any ideology, or non-belief, that is mandated by a draconian dictatorship is not remotely reflective of an optimal society. This substandardness is likely due more to the regime than to the ideology itself.

If we look to nations with relatively high levels of functionality, such as Norway, Denmark, Germany, and France, it should be obvious that the irreligious trend towards predominant non-belief indicates that high functionality and atheism are not remotely mutually exclusive.

The original question needs to be unpacked. Is it

• What do you think the world be like if religion were legally abolished tomorrow?, or,

• What do you think the world be like if religion gradually died out due to education and increased emphasis on critical thinking and intellectual integrity?

I sense you were attempting to answer the former interpretation.

@palex The Scandinavian countries and Finland are far from being religion-free—they all have Evangelical Lutherism as their state religion, and the governments give support to that religion. While church membership has declined there, that does not necessarily mean that the Scandinavians have become irreligious.

My personal opinion is that the question is moot and that everyone is and will always be religious in a certain sense. There are deep religious characteristics imbedded in our collective unconscious that affect everyone.

Maybe the question should be rephrased. “What will life be like when religious expression evolves into a more meaningful, profound and intelligent format?”

My answer is that life will be better. There’ll be greater abundance, more justice and less strife.

@WilliamFleming I agree that life will be better when the masses are capable of honestly addressing supernaturalism. My point is only to show that irreligiosity and human flourishing are not remotely mutually exclusive. The degree of irreligiosity of the aforementioned countries can be seen in the results of the “Lack of Importance of Religion in Europe by Gallup poll ( 2007–2008 ).” I have not checked, but I would confidently speculate that such numbers have only increased over the past decade.

I don’t know if it’s possible.....a world without religion, fascinating concept but not realistic.

Oh so realistic, Heck yes, Some scholars are even asserting that within the new three generations religion may be gone. We now know so much more about reality and all know that the Bible and such are stories, NO more than that, And once we gather as the same species in thought, we shall marvel even ourselves.

Let us painstakingly make our views realistic and show endurance as religionists did to install religions

Saner .

To have a world without religion you would have to eliminate the willingness for people to be ignorant. We have religion now because long ago people did not understand many things, and so they gave credit to the gods and made up rules for how to appease the gods. While most believers today only try to appease one god, their willingness to live in ignorance is what perpetuates religion. So a world without religion would mean having enlightened people all around you, and that would be very refreshing I think.

Some of the most heavily populated countries in the world , largely believe in multiple Gods and Goddesses .

Women would not listen to men.

Should not listen to men .

Cannot see the logic there. Please help.

Do you mean women would not submit to men?

Never fear. Somebody would be lying and making one up. You could have 4000 + denominations in no time.

A lot like 2500 BC, when 100's of gods were available for those who needed them.

What is religion?

skado Level 9 July 19, 2019

In my opinion religions are the processes of science gone wrong. Some chancers said something about the future and how to behave and from this drew conclusions (e.g. 10 commandments ) and wrote books . Then made the rest of their influenced followers believe that there was a god and that the/she had said these 'holy texts. Rest of it is maintaining and embellishing the story.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:376322
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.