Agnostic.com

16 2

New full-time father looking for tips

My 15 year old daughter moved in with me full time at the start of the year. I love having her around all the time. To say that things have changed is an understatement. 🙂 What is the best advice a single parent can give to help maintain my energy throughout the day?

DavidHartley 3 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At this time getting "quality time" (blech) will be a challenge. Too often it is get home and retreat to your gadgets.
I'd schedule some; the repetition makes it a thing. Being a thing is good these days.
It's meals for me. My son and I eat at the table without gadgets or tv. It's been that way his whole life. I try to keep the food interesting when I can, so it can be a topic to start with.

Remember to enjoy it, my eldest daughter is 14 and I haven't spent time with her in the last 5 years (ex is to blame) but I will and I will cherish every moment 🙂

That's great, just take it easy and give her space, remember it's new for both of you.

Just keep it real

(Oh, sorry...you were asking for advice on staying energized.)

1. Car rides are good for heart to heart talks. My oldest girl who is now 16 is quiet at home but car rides usually end up with great talks.

2. If you have any skills like changing a tire or basic home maintenance, show her how to do those things. She may never need them, but if things go wrong, she'll be able to handle things.

3. Cook and bake together. If you don't know how, learn with her. Start basic but learn some more complex things. My kids cook and bake with my ex all the time. It's actually really sweet. They have a great relationship even though we aren't together anymore.

It will get easier when you get a rhythm going. You will surprise yourself.

Listen sincerely. Make time for her.
And caffeine. Lots of caffeine.

Zster Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

Good luck lol

Keep it light. Ensure that there are reasonable boundaries and rules and that they are followed. Ensure that if they are not followed, there are reasonable and consistent consequences, perhaps escalating consequences if a boundary is habitually crossed. Just that will go a LONG way.

Get a tip jar for them.

Love her. Spend time with her. Let her know she’s important.

Enjoy every minute of it, it won't last forever and it is the best thing you can be doing with your time right now, give it your all.
BTW Girls are harder tthan boys and that is a hard age. Hope you have close female friends you can turn to for advice and support. My ex and I split when my daughter was 8 and my son 7. I have been a single dad since, she is now 33 and he is 31. She got a little difficult at 15.

At 15, she's practically an adult. She shouldn't be too high maintenance.

Cat-naps are truly amazing when you can get away with them.

Plant rose bushes under her windows. Nice big thick ones.

@SherryMartin -- Good shot.

I live in Texas so I'd plant cacti under the windows

@SheThatB That works too

If she tolerates it try to get her to go to movies-if you get tired you can always take a nap-lol.

Maintaining energy was the least of my concerns or problems when my daughter was 15.

Glad you have this opportunity- both of you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38018
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.