Agnostic.com

10 4

Do you wake up with the solution to a problem?

This morning I woke with an understanding of a maddening sewing problem with the jacket I'm making.

Understitching is stitching a line close to the edge of a facing to keep it from rolling toward the outside. This technique is used in necklines and armhole facings.

On the jacket front, understitching reverses direction between the rolled collar and the front panel. Yesterday, I laboriously tore out incorrect stitching twice.

Now I know what to do. What a relief!

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You hike, you're literate, you're an atheist, you cook, you sew...

"La nuit porte conseil."
(The night brings advice) (French proverb)

I often do my best work when I am just woken up. Oddly, I also do very good work when I am beyond dead tired.

One of the best shooting bows I ever made was done in a frenzy through a sleepless night. I was dead tired, working in a darkened shop with just one single naked bulb above the work station, and my dog curled up in a pile of wood shavings looking at me with a worried eye. What normally takes me 20 hours over several days turned out shooting arrows in 6 hours.

Happy to hear of your breakthrough on the problem. It is always nice to add a trick to the bag for later use!

Nice jacket. I sewed for years. Made everything. I am very adept at stitches but my vision isn't as good as it once was.
What's fun is trying to teach a left handed gkid a simple straight stitch.

I often doze over a problem, then snap awake with an answer. It's one of my favourite ploys.

We need to start a group. I have a few projects on the go. Happy to share my bits of knowledge and learn from others.

same is true for studying. If you study and get a good nights sleep you recall more because the brain reviews the day when we sleep. This has happened often when I have difficult case at work.

@MissKathleen that was a trick I learned when I worked in repertory theatre. At my best I was learning 30-35 pages of script daily.

When I have a serious problem, I take a break from it, for the night. The answer always comes to me in the middle of the night, I wake up and write it down.

I do the same. especially when I misplace something. If I do something else, it comes to me where they are.

Quite often a solution has come to me while sleeping,,sub conscious is working over time

Very nice

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 11, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:387216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.