Agnostic.com

38 3

Do you accept the possibility of a god, but reject man’s perspective of one?

This was something I had to think long about. I mean the possibilities are always strong, but I do reject man’s perspective of all gods such as in all holy text because the people that wrote those books were only just trying to make since of the world back then when they didn’t understand the physics of the physical world and universe around them. This question just came to mind, though. What does any of you think?

EmeraldJewel 7 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see no use for one, especially the ones that have been thought up by humans.

I accept there's a minute possibility of there being a god, or multiple gods. And if man was at one time privy to the actions of extraterrestrial beings, they had to see their science as something mystical. And if the "gods" were anything like the European "explorers" they were forced to worship them or their dieties, effectively eliminating free will. I personally dislike religion, it's just a mechanism for control.

Gohan Level 7 Mar 17, 2018

If we just stick to the notion of the Abrahamic god I think there is, or should be, a massive disconnect between a prime mover to kick start what we understand as the universe and it being the same bloke wandering about 2,000 years ago in the bible.

So man's perspective, the man of faith that is, is based solely on not understanding or ignorance and plonking the divine in the gap, so that doesn't work for me on any level.

As for the prime mover....I see no evidence for this, my answer is 'I don't know' and nor does anybody else.

Nope, I don't at all and think people who do believe in all religions b.s. are brainwashed.

I sometimes contemplate the existence of a superior intelligence which, as my avatar believed, was responsible for the laws governing the universe and its creation, but then was never heard from, and left no evidence of his/her/its existence. No being to be worshipped, no prophets, churches, or holy books. Nothing sacred, and no one to talk to or ask for help. A universe without religion and a deity that is never heard from means it's pretty much up to us, and I'm good with that.

There are 2 types of god belief. The first is simply that a god being or creator might be possible. If you have that belief out of thin air, I take it that you wanted to believe in gods anyway. You have approached the subject already wanting to believe.
Beyond that we have scriptural writings the world over that speak of gods. They are all different and say different things. Which is real? I fall into this second type and my studies show none of them are real. If you can disprove the scripture you disprove the god. End of story.
The diehards still tell me I could not have studied everything. They make jokes about logic and evidence classes, etc. It's not that complicated really.
What do you think happened at the baptism of Jesus? Is the biblical story of it credible?
Do you think anyone was ever taken to heaven on a winged horse?
It's all pretty simple when you put on reality glasses.

No I don’t want to believe in god/gods at all, but this was a subject thatcane up between a friend and I and I told her that I could accept the possibility of a god, but don’t really believe in one and for sure reject all of man made perspective of gods.

No possibility of a god period.

Maybe I'm trying to hold onto optimism, but I do believe in a possibility of greater power. I'm not sure if the greater power is so focused on humans alone though.

I do agree that no religion really captures the truth 100% in there is a higher power.

I reject the idea that there is a god or gods as there is no evidence to support that claim. I accept the possibility of a god or gods in that we don't know everything and at some future date some evidence may arise. I feel confident that the god presented in the Bible doesn't exist as the Bible, both historically and scientificly, is inaccurate. So I guess yes? But just saying yes feels misleading. It's less that I accept the possibility of a god or gods and more that I accept the possibility that I could be wrong about their not being any.

I really don't. The concept of a god or gods and the creation of that concept can be seen in history. Intentional agency is one example. Every religion has been influenced by other man made religions. This is especially true for Christianity. Christianity has tenets that are similar to tenets in Zoroastrianism. A good and bad god, heaven and hell,and apocalyptic endings call be traced back to Zoroastrianism which came before Christianity.

I should add that if there is a god,he is impersonal

Exactly. And in the unlikely event there is one, what difference would it make?

If there is some greater power, it likely exists outside of our limited facilities to grasp it. We are trapped with limited ability to experience an enormously complex universe. So, something godlike, compared to us, maybe. "God" like any human has defined god, incredibly unlikely.

It is definitely possible, but I don't see any reason to believe in one. Most people that say they came up with their own beliefs typically have a mish mash of a bunch of other ideas.

If people have their truly own unique views, they are typically viewed as bizarre.

I also do not like the idea of personal truths, which seems to a very common outlook nowadays.

I guess I would have to believe in a god that made sense, and have a system of the universe that doesn't require esoteric knowledge. A system that actually incorporated all the of things (especially horrible things) that we know happen daily.

I would have no problem believing if someone were able to explain to me why it is a good idea =)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38742
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.