Agnostic.com

28 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m sure violent acts like this have taken place regularly, just not usually filmed. This child looked about six or seven months old, big and strong. The Catholics like them to be only a few weeks old, then they are less likely to fight back, but just bawl their eyes out. This is a Russian Orthodox baptism and has this three time rule to represent the trinity presumably...have to be immersed in the name of the father, the son and the Holy Ghost. If the child was only immersed once the voodoo would only be one third effective! Why does anyone think this would be a sacking offence when raping and sodomising isn’t.

That is the most fucked up way to handle a child ever. And then refusing to give the child to the mother because he felt obligated to dunk the child at least two more times??? I'd have straight up beat the shit out of him. Here, hold my baby...

I hope he gets taken to court. One of these days he will kill - and then, maybe the church will fire him, or transfer him to some other parish. They don't like to solve problems. They like to move the problem around, make sure he can abuse more innocents.

SKH78 Level 8 Aug 18, 2019

He’s already assisted in the killing of that child. That child is traumatized. He basically is a killer.

My in-laws insisted my first born be christened. I was Protestant so no used to Catholic baptism. Priest was drunk and couldn’t get my baby’s name right then almost dropped him in the font at which point I was done and grabbed him back. Priest tried to hold on but being drunk and me elbowing him in the gut and stepping on his foot made him let go. I’m not sure my son is baptized because he never completed the exercise. I didn’t even bother with the other two.

Why is there ultimately no ethos in religion?

He wouldn't be alive. Just saying.

Priests, Nuns, preachers, evangelists, all have a superiority complex, and think they are entitled to do whatever they want, no matter who they hurt.

Bold or italics font?

Rimshot for that.

One of the fancy calligraphy, ornamental fonts that you can't read if it's all caps, is my guess.

@scurry I believe you are speaking of a typeface. I don’t think slamming a baby into a typeface is safe either though.

Things like this won't stop unless there's cameras and an officer present in every church around the world. That way, they could be held accountable for all the laws and hate speech they break.

2 hits me hitting him him hitting the floor . Not that I'd put my child through that in the first place

And this is the #1 reason I keep my kids well away from religious people. They're fucking crazy and violent.

This man should be jailed for child abuse!

The priest tells lies the way my high school students do. "I didn't do anything wrong, and it's not my fault."

Exactly “She made me do it!”

Disgusting

Wacko!!!

His employer suspended him … suspended!!! … not fired ... and probably only because the images are bad for business.

The priest has justified his actions, saying the mother and her family were not sufficiently religious.
"It was all about the mother's high emotions," he told Russian news organisation Channel Five.
"She is a person without church experience. She was not ready for the christening."
He says nothing happened, and it was not his fault at all.
But the child's mother tells a different story.
"He did everything to hurt the child," said Anastasia Aleexeva.

The crazy shit you can get away with under the guise of religion sometimes blows my mind. Especially when it involves children...

I don't agree or approve, but I suspect that this happens all the time. I didn't see any 'slamming', just aggressive dunking; and they have to do it quick to try and keep the kids startled and confused so they don't struggle as much.
Not sure why the mother was surprised, not that I blame her... Oh wait. She handed her child over to be 'dunked' by some religious dude, so her hands aren't clean either. Either she knew what was going to happen, or she should have.
Ya, I saw that she tried to get the baby back, but the ceremony wasn't complete, and I'm sure the priest thought more harm would come to the kid if he didn't finnish. Some delusions can seem more real than real life.
Again, I don't approve or condone the actions, just dissecting what I saw in the video.

“She is a person without church experience. She was not ready for the christening.”

Sounds like she might not have known what was going to be done. Doesn't matter. If mom backs out at any point, that's when you stop.

@UpsideDownAgain Yes. I saw that too.
She still shouldn't hand over her child to anyone... priest, doctor, babysitter... without knowing their intentions. There is a ceremony that she entered into willingly (kid had no choice!) and the priest -right or wrong- did what he felt he needed to do.
The victim here is the child, and by what I saw in the video, kid is probably perfectly fine and survived the crazy, stupid religious ceremony.
The mom put the kid in danger by agreeing to a ceremony and willingly handing them over to the priest. Her not knowing what was going to happen makes it even worss, in my mind.
Was the priest right? No! But neither was she.
I also commented ...twice... that I don't approve.

@scurry Yes, the victim is the child. I just think you're being unusually hard on the mother.

[sarc]And I totally am implying that you approved of the whole deal by suggesting that so you may need to add italics to your bold. [/sarc]

@UpsideDownAgain I don't think people are being hard enough on the mother. If mothers (and fathers) stopped handing over their kids to be indoctrinated with crazy rituals, the rituals wouldn't happen in the first place.

I've seen that move in professional wrestling matches.

I've never seen that done in a christening. Granted not the flavor of religion I was raised in - but slamming a child into the baptismal font? Not the agreed upon practice.

He literally was trying to drive him head first into the water - by grabbing the head. Horrifying. That can't be "standard practice". No one would agree to that.

@scurry Nice italics.

That priest should NOT have got away with that.

In the secular world, this person would spend years in prison, and probably die there. In the religious world? This creep probably got a promotion.

I read that he was actually punished!

This is terrible and unfortunate!

Unfortunate? Really?

@meister268 yeah unfortunate that it happened! That man clearly does not belong there, and it's unfortunate that he was!

@meister268 it's unfortunate that people even let their superstition cloud their judgement and even subject babies to such a ritual in the first place. 🥺

I believe this priest is possessed by the devil and should be exorcised. On the otherhand he just could be a asshole.

I assure you, I had nothing to do with this. He's just an arsehole.

And yet god approves of this? Yikes!

Holy shit. That gave me the cold chills.

Unbelievable how this priest gets into a frenzy and refuses to let go of the poor baby.

@PontifexMarximus I know! I literally got cold all the way down the my toes. How terrifying for the baby and mother!

I was disappointed in the mom for giving him her already crying baby, but then very impressed that she tried to intervene when he began abusing the child. That must have gone against everything she was raised to believe and do! I feel so bad for the kid; he won't forget that experience.

Carin Level 8 Aug 21, 2019

As much as I can understand your primary reaction, think of the situation as a mother handing her child to a nurse for a vaccination. These poor people have been indoctrinated from early childhood. For centuries baptism was the condition sine qua non to be admitted in paradise. The mother herself was dunked … She is extremely brave.

You can't blame normal women for contributing to problems; normal people can't really tell between a problem and something else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:390475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.