Agnostic.com

14 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She really is lucky they didnt shoot her or her son.

My 14 year old grandson is mixed but dark skinned in addition to being well over 6 ft and 240 lbs.

I'm scared every time he leaves the house and find dumb reasons to text him just to make sure he still lives

We pretty much know our police officers around here. Plus, two live in our neighborhood...I can't imagine having to call them for an emergency and fearing for my life or the lives of my family and pets...what a terrifying story that I am sure many have encountered...she sure kept her cool and kept the problem from escalating...not sure I would be that cool...

I think she needs to keep hammering them for accountability...things need to change...

Don't trust the cops. Even the honest ones have to turn a blind eye or be vilified by the others. There needs to be rewards for whistle blowers.

This is just terrible,and it happens every day......

Do a youtube search of bad police searches and incidents like this. There are hundreds. What is sad is that police know there are other police who are power hungry and prone to violence, but that blue wall stays silent. I know lots of great police but they also go into, 'we are always right' mode a lot too. Check out the videos.

The police 's function is not to protect and defend. Their function is to upheld the law. If you don't defend yourself, your problem.

zesty Level 7 Aug 19, 2019

In this situation the police violated the law - the police are clearly in violation of article IV of the bill of rights.
What type of defense do you recommend in a situation like this?

@zesty - I'm not sure you understand how police function in the US? They are called in to try to prevent violence from happening - or to end a violent confrontation. That is the norm.

I imagine there are places where that might be a bad idea. But so far it's what we have. This our plan. (Faulty though it may be at times).

If you think a woman or man being beaten on should be prepared at all times - I think you have an odd view of the world. No one can be 100 percent prepared all of the time. It's why we have a police force.

There is a high rate of couples turning on each other - it's why it's called "A crime of passion" - that's why a neighbor would call the police in and not go over and bang on the door themselves. You can end up dead.

And when people are "prepared" that's how you end up with murder suicides. The couple themselves commits murder.

I like the police plan way better. I am a tad curious what your "plan" involves though?

@RavenCT Fuck the police. If this is the best they can do I'd let the neighbours kill each other before I called the police in America

@MsDemeanour This is one instance. I could tell you where they got plenty of domestic disturbances settled peacefully.
This is one terrible story.
However I'll still call police if need be.

So, when I see "To Protect and Serve" on police vehicle the cops idea and my idea of what that means are different? I don't think any person in this country should be subjected to the sort of behavior this woman experienced. That is the topic of the post.

Yes their function IS to protect in this country.

@Lucy_Fehr Theoretically. Amazingly, it is not a legal obligation.

Underpaid, undertrained, and militarized against the public. No wonder they screw up too often, draw their guns before asking a question. Whatever happened to. "To serve and protect?"

To serve and protect is not part of their job description. It is a cliché spray painted on their cars.

@zesty

Zest, Zest. When I was growing up, "To serve and protect" was not a cliche. It was real. Bush militarized the police by selling police spare military ordinance and equipment after Iraq began to wind down.

As a consequence, a paradigm shift occurred in this country. Once they obtained the military equipment upgrade, feeling their new power, they went from community protectors, to a confrontational force .

This also resulted in the uglier side of the white dominated policing force to openly exercise their racism and biases, almost unimpeded. That is until Travon Martin's death and Ferguson brought into the light of day.

@t1nick Actually it was Obama who militarized the police with the surplus machines of war. Maybe Bush started it, but here in the greater metropolitan Kansas City area, police specifically crowed about their Obama military vehicles.

Very good question 😕

@WayneDalton
I believe you are probably correct. Obama carried it forward.

Having had a gun pointed at my face I can tell you the image never fades. All the feels for these two!

I too have had a gun stuck in my face. I concur.

Just some of the insane shit going on it's wrong period

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 19, 2019

Horrifying.

Beyond an outrage!!!!

This just goes to show you why most people do not get involved.

Why did you call the cops on your neighbors?

zesty Level 7 Aug 19, 2019

Because that's what people do when they're afraid someone might be harmed.

Did you read the story? This woman was trying to do what she felt was morally right.

Also it's not the OP's story.

Because she heard what sounded like domestic violence;seems simple enough to me

Ermmm... because she actually gives a shit about other people? Why is this a puzzling concept to you?

I guess this isn't a good time to be doing the right thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:391192
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.