Agnostic.com

12 13

Hike to Lake Valhalla. Too many dogs. Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers.

Today three women joined us on the hike to Lake Valhalla, bringing the total to six dogs. It was chaotic. "Dogs must be on a leash or under firm voice control" is the U.S. Forest Service regulation.

"There are SIX dogs up ahead with no leashes!" a woman on the trail said, appalled. I felt embarrassed to admit that was our group. I don't have a dog.

At Lake Valhalla, people ate lunch on a cliff above, afraid to join us on the beach with six dogs racing around, barking and tussling. Understandable.

"Just give them a soccer kick," Lisi told me. She did nothing to control her two dogs.

Thru-Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada

We hiked up to a pass, turning onto the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). Then up over another pass and down to Lake Valhalla (5,100 feet). Seven miles total with 1,500' of elevation gain.

Met a young couple from Germany who were thru-hiking the PCT. They spoke impeccable English. "Washington State is beautiful," they said.

Also met a young woman from Illinois who was thru-hiking the PCT alone carrying a 53-pound pack. That's heavy.

Thru-Hikers Bypassed the Sierra Mountains Due to Heavy Snow

Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers bypassed the Sierra Mountains in California this year. The Sierras had 200% of normal snow-pack.

"The snow was up to my neck," the young woman said. "I didn't think about the rivers. The rivers were so high and fast with rapid snowmelt, 10 hikers drowned trying to swim across."

"Four or five thru-hikers are still missing in the Sierras," she said. "They found two dead bodies. People I talked to plan to come back next year to finish the Sierras."

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

one of the reason i love washington. are these pictures. as for the dogs, remember, you are top of the food chain when it comes to dogs, they react to fear. the owners should have them on leashes though. i have 2 dogs myself, they are always on leashes, i have a blue nose pitty (My fat girl lol) and a minpin. both trained for the most part. never attack, but both are very friendly, well the pitty is super friendly, the minpin is the guard dog just saying.

Tell your friends the three basics of dog traing are NO! COME! and SIT! ... as a command, not a negotiation. Once dogs understand these three they are under control and all the rest is a bonus

Beautiful photos! Beautiful place! 🙂

Dog owners think the rules apply to everyone but them and their dogs. So many people live as if they are the only ones on the planet.

@jilynn37

Exactly.

Shame about the dogs, but the views looked gorgeous. Beautiful photos.

Some amazing photographs! 👌

Very interesting

"Lake Valhalla", is that where the vikings go to die? we have a hospice in our town called "valhalla."

"Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers bypassed the Sierra Mountains in California this year. The Sierras had 200% of normal snow-pack."
global warming strikes again.

You are probably trying to be ironic but the extreme weather events caused by climate change could be a factor.

Oh, SO beautiful and pristine!

beautiful pics,,It is always an adventure for you when you go hiking,never a dull moment , but i agree dogs should be control and on leashes

Nice pics.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:391680
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.