Agnostic.com

25 19

I dislike the emphasis on groups.

I read in a comment to another post that the administration floated going groups only. Alot of the comments I see about this subject are positive and I just want to put out there that Im opposed to the emphasis on groups.

I think it is uninclusive and discourages new people from joining the conversation. I think it favors members who have been around and promotes friend groups between them. Im actually more interested in exchanging ideas with all the secular people on this site rather than a few at a time.
I would much prefer an emphasis on subjects rather than groups.

I think groups are discourage interaction with new people that don't necessarily spend time becoming community members. Since the emphasis on groups the public area doesn't seem very robust and that is sad. I think a good discussion area for secular people is an asset to the internet.

I edited this to remove the word "cliquey" Looking back I find its probably devisive. I didnt mean it that way. I stand by the rest though. Sorry I didnt realize this was such a sore subject. I didnt realize this site went group only for a while. I have noticed the decline of robust conversation in the main area and I think it is a loss.

MsAl 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree. Death to groups!

We should start a group for people who agree with this.

As much as I enjoy the groups I am in, I have to agree with you.

I agree about topics vs groups. A discussion about a topic I care about isn't as interesting if I only hear the same things from the same people. It's also much harder to find I interesting discussions... e.g. a good conversation about dog training could just happen come up in most any group.

I agree 100%. I think the groups are what have fucked this site up. There were over 700 when I counted them a few months ago. There must be close to a thousand by now. The site would be better as an open forum. The groups have made this site boring. If you are having groups, no one should be able to start or moderate more than one group. If someone blocks you, you can be blocked from more than one group they started or moderate. I am blocked from a pet group because of a disagreement that had nothing to do with that group. You end up with little fiefdoms with little tyrannical leaders. FUCK THE GROUP THING.

@SeaGreenEyez It has been a terrible idea, and is getting worse.

Life here before groups took over was much more fun. I can tell you that much.

It was also a very small group of people who had to get along because the block button didn't even exist yet! (OMG!). We were just happy to find other Atheists/Agnostics online.

At 93K members things have to change right? ❤

@RavenCT I guess I need to change my ways but I haven't. I am not sure what to do. I am probably doing something wrong because I hardly get notifications, or so it seems to me.

@IamNobody My notifications don't seem to be for people or groups I follow half the time.

So alerts still aren't really fixed. I wouldn't blame what you are doing. I'm guessing it's the site trying to broaden us. lol

@RavenCT oky doky, thx

I'm going to agree with your assessment, I prefer topics to groups seeing there are so many.

I think I am missing something here. I thought admins went to group only format a little while back but changed it back because of input from people.

What I see currently are both groups (pets, gardening, etc.), but also more general subject area (General Hellos, Silly and Random, etc). Seems like a reasonable and generous balance given the enormity of work the admins have to do.

I participate in a number of groups, but interaction and participation is limited. I spend more time in the general areas and find more interesting conversations that I would not have come across in the groups.

As the site grows, it is more difficult to manage larger areas, so I understand admins desire to move to groups, similar to the Reddit model. But groups can get overwhelming and klutzy for the user as there are too many, they have names that are not necessarily easily searchable. I am content with the current set up but understand it may change.

As the poster I didnt realize that thing happened where groups were required. I do find the general area rather lacking now in robust conversation. It seems like that has trickled off to the groups. I think it is a loss.

@MsAl Yeah, it could be that some of the interaction has drifted from the general areas to the groups. I do find the groups take more of my time, even though it is not necessarily quality time, as I feel like I need to keep up with them. I have dropped a couple because of this.

I agree that the cliquey behavior is more common in groups, but it is evident elsewhere. I just try to ignore it where ever it is and try to not become a part of it. People are people.

Overall, for the site I think it boils down to a management issue - how to deal with a growing site.

100%. Ideas and debate are what make the wheels go round not self-congratulatory cliques. I’ve noticed that much of the robust argument has declined and has been replaced by one or two syllable retorts, ad hominem responses or insults and rudeness.

If it weren’t for the erudite and intelligent posters here I would have walked away some time ago. Let’s hope a more steady flow of more informed contingent join.Although how do we know who they are unless they are a member of a group which we are subscribed to.

Completely agree, thank you.

We’re fractured enough within society, with too many factions and divisions as is.. This is our online meeting place, apparently open to the world!

We need inclusion, wide interaction - not cubby-holes or isolation chambers… Closing in on two years participation, I’ve only, if recently joined one ‘group,’ basically led by one person (for which I’ve not checked in for weeks).

Growth would stop with ‘groups only.’ And personally … I’d find another place to be ~

Varn Level 8 Aug 24, 2019

Totally agree.

"General Forum"

I created this Group when it looked like we lost the Forums forever.

It has five blocks. (People on site who have proven to me time and again I don't want to have to deal with their shenanigans) - speaking of focused cliques.

It's a moderated group - but it's open to all members level 1 and up.
With the same purpose as any general forum - the idea was to replicate the General Forum and allow the same sort of activity - it's gained members fairly swiftly. And has deliberately not been made to have any one direction.

This might be the middle ground you're looking for.

Some groups are closed, I've read, but there are no menu options that currently allow it. I've joined about 50 groups and not found a closed one. I'm host of Battling Obesity, because the original host left and @Admin drafted me to take over. Only one member posts daily a few post occasionally, but most do not post. All BO posts are visible to everyone. If you join you may see a list of only BO posts. I try to welcome every new member, but most do not reply. There is nothing else special for members. And we are not a clique as far as I can tell.

I'm an engineer (sort of autistic) and oblivious socially; I'm not aware of any cliques. Although, I've read that the conservatives have a closed group entrance only by invitation. As far as I know, a group moderator would have to block everyone that joined, except for ones they want in the group.

Although necessary, IMO blocking is more divisive than groups. However, both contribute.

Ive def seen groups where the mods attack anyone who disagrees with them.

@MarkiusMahamius If you don't like the moderator, leave the group and join another similar one. If there are none, make your own.

@EdEarl random example: say i like the coffee drinkers group, but the mod is a total @#%. (in real life, as faras I know, the coffee drinkers group is not like this, and is wonderful in every way). BUt say they are... i have to start a new group, or put up with having to cater to their whims, just to talk about coffee. OTOH the forums part of the site comes with fairly relaxed moderation and real terms of use, and it isnt (to any great extent) heavily policed in terms of political or social viewpoints. its how forums were intended to work. my only point is that groups arent as benign as some people seem to think. but they do have a purpose, and ike you said, if you dontagree, you ont have to join

@MarkiusMahamius It's why there is a LEAVE button on Groups.

If the group is run by an ass hat - leave it.

Make your own or search for another.

It only requires you be Level 4 to create a group. And some folks are practiced ass hats their entire lives.

@RavenCT i understand that. i didnt think the conversation was about how i felt about groups, or which ones i choose to join, it was about why people want different options, as the OP stated in her post. And although it isnt fair to people who are excluded from the senate group, this conversation started as a spill over from a conversation there... and the OP appropriately moved the conversation into a forum where all members of agnostic could participate.

@MarkiusMahamius And that's why I posted the information for persons of lower levels who might not be aware of that option. I realize you probably know it but it seemed an apt place to post that response. 😉

It got to be waaay to much for admin to moderate the general forums so they left the admining to the members in their groups to handle it. There are maybe 4 or 5 developers working for free with jobs outside of this site. Do they have time to respond to someone who claims someone made a negative statement about an LGBTQ person at some point, but they can't produce the thread or the quote or anything? I stand by their decision. Unless someone is breaking a law, leave admin alone. If you don't like what your group is doing, leave the group.

Do you want us to have to start paying for a free service so an admin can monitor every comment and every complaint 24/7? Let's think this through...

Thats too bad. I just like a discussion area with lots of people. All the active members seem to have left the general discussion and it's sad. I would prefer paying or seeing adds myself. It seemed like this was becoming a signifficant secular gathering place but it has dispersed and I think it is a loss.

I agree, free is better. Some group hosts are dictatorial and some are not. Some will block a person for honest disagreement and others encourage debate. There are enough groups that a p2should be able to find ones they like; though the search may take a while.

I see your point, but I'm not buying into the level of moderation you think this site needs. For instance, if someone insults my sexuality, I don't think admin or a group mod needs to get involved. I agree that if you want a "safe space" where there's zero chance that someone would be allowed to say sonething jerky, groups are for you. The site shouldn't be group based.

@MarkiusMahamius People contact group leaders and admin more frequently than you know. They think contacting a leader over every comment or disagreement is a good thing- it's not. Let the members bear some of the burdens. This is what this whole thing is really about.

I agree with you, and since groups have become the standard the site feels stagnant. Even within well-attended groups, I'm noticing very little activity. I assume more conversation is happening somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

This tells me the interesting discussions are happening off site. The "online now" number hasn't been above 225 (for me anyways, and I don't track it so it may be higher but I don't see it) since the fiasco of switching the site to 100% group based a couple months ago.

My problem with the groups isnt that I feel like I'm not allowed or that I don't like the people in them. It's that If I take the time to put my very interesting and important thoughts on here I would like them to be seen by people checking out the site for other interesting secular people. Anyone who isnt interested in spending their time an active community member and just want to see who's out there will miss everything I have to say entirely if it's all portioned off in groups. I realize we are allowed to do that but since all the active participants portioned off into groups there isn't much to hold the conversations together in the main area.

MsAl Level 8 Aug 25, 2019

I know exactly what you mean. It might help to click on the "Recent Member Posts" [agnostic.com] at the top of the homepage. That seems to show a less filtered list of posts than the homepage. The homepage seems to stagnate too often, and despite the filter settings, I can't seem to keep religious post out of it.

Yup that's where the reiteration of "That post we've seen a million times" seems to happen too. (sigh)

Administration did go "Groups only" very briefly and members protested and Forums returned.
I know I was one of them.

I believe Groups are the common ground where like minded folks are apt to form friendships/relationships.
Forums are more about topics to make you think and often disagree. (More about adding to your opinions or changing them).
I see nothing wrong with having both those things on one site.

Not everyone is pleased by constant disagreement or repeated chewing over of the same discussions - which happens a lot in some of the Forums. You can loose compassion with the new folks coming in who have the same old questions about religion/agnosticism - so people turn to groups instead for a while.

Some groups are more educational than others - some pure fun. Some echo chambers.
But that's anywhere online.
Forums are much the same. Only with more fighting.

And remember Groups have hosts and moderators who often work to make the group pleasant - which is not the case with Forums. You rely entirely on the site admin to do the work to keep Forums running smoothly - and to put the entire burden for the site on them? That would be entirely unfair in my book.

Look at FB - they too have moderated groups for shared interests.
Larger sites can't seem to survive without the free labor. That's just the way trolls and unpleasant people work these days.
A small group of people running a site just couldn't keep up with monitoring all that and it would descend into a place no one would enjoy.

Remember Groups are driven by the folks who have agreed to abide by the idea and rules of that group - so it has a certain flavor to each. It might not be one you enjoy - so don't join that group.
Forums are for everyone - so you may rub against folks you really don't enjoy - and the option for that is just the block button.

It's really entirely up to members which they enjoy more.

The groups are fine to me, but there are so many and I visit the site sporadically. sometimes daily and other times less often so get so many alerts it's impossible to read them all. I prefer to.follow people who I find interesting or resonate with, so I scroll through and read a small portion when I have time.

Most of my groups are music related, where the chat is directed at a particular artist, song or genre. I think this kind of group is fine, as is the Uncommon word group and the Quotes group, but I only post in them once a day, spending most of the rest of my time on the site in the general forum, where most of the “craic” is. I think we have already gone through an experiment in Group only postings which was unanimously disliked and to give @Admin their due fixed it to a more open format again....but this was months ago, so why this question now?

Just because its not relevant to you, doesnt mean its irrelevant to newer members, ir people who are interested in the growth of the site. Not everyone is content in the way you are.

@MarkiusMahamius Have I missed something? Has the site been changed back to groups only again?

@Marionville no the topic came up in a different context, but once it was raised, newer members wanted to discuss the issue... since the way the public forums and the way the groups, are moderated, is different.

@MarkiusMahamius I think you misunderstood my reply...I spend most of my time in the General posts section where I find the best exchange of views and topics ...I only visit the groups to post once or twice a day...mostly music.

@Marionville yeah, thats exactly the thing, you have a different perspective than people who use both, and/or don't understant, or are new to the issue

@MarkiusMahamius I do use both...I’m afraid I can’t quite see how I have a different perspective from anyone else...I was new here at one time too. I joined some groups but I didn’t spend all my time in either my groups or in the general forum...I didn’t then and I don’t now. What exactly is your problem with my answer that you seem to take issue with?

@Marionville my original comment was an attempt at clarifying your position. IT sounded like you were saying "Im fine, so everyone else should be fine", so I was trying to explain why other people might be different than you

@MarkiusMahamius I think your problem is that you misinterpret my words, which are clear and unambiguous, because you are not reading them properly. Your first reply was an assertion that I was content, and that I thought that others concerns were irrelevant. I politely pointed out that was not my position, but you still came back at me with a reply of “ yeah, that’s exactly the thing, you have a different perspective etc”..... I suggest you spend less time attacking what you believe people are saying and more time reading precisely what they actually do say.

@Marionville i did read what you said. we've had this discussion before. youre self centered, so your assessments are always "well Im fine", and I always take the bait, and try to suggest you take off your blinders. it never works. sorry

Requiring posting to groups was a HUGE mistake.

This thread is not in a group

@EdEarl If people use the "Site & Customer Service" "group" as a work-around to avoid posting in groups, "Site & Customer Service" will quickly become overwhelmed.

@PBuck0145 None of the list containing"Site and Customer Service" are groups. There are hundreds of groups, including mine, Battling Obesity, which are not on that list. That is a list of topics.

All categories (not groups) are above "Site and Customer Service." Groups are below.

@EdEarl Where do I find this alleged "list"?

@PBuck0145 On Home is a "Groups" button.

@EdEarl "Site & Customer Service" does not appear anywhere on the list when I activate the "Groups" button. It is not under "Mine", "New", "Popular" or "New Posts".

Maybe it is one of the additional "perks" at level 8. I am a level 7.

@PBuck0145 Oh, I misunderstood. That is under "Post," "Make Post." "Choose a Category or Group."

You can join the groups that interest you ... I find myself swamped with posts most days ... even from just a few groups

Yes but I feel its kindof a waste if my well thought out and very important thoughts are only reaching a few people with the same special interest. I feel like it leaves out all the people who are stopping in to converse with other interesting secular people but who don't feel like being full on community members. You miss all the chance interaction with other interesting participants who may not have the same nitch interests.
It is no longer the robust and active gathering place to participate in.

@MsAl then copy it to the general group, or others you think it may interest

@ShadowAmicus The thing is the main area isnt all that interesting anymore. Apparently alot of others think so too. Its not my site or decision but I do value it and I feel it is a loss to me.

From reading this post, the comments and replies, people seem to be divided about the need for groups and their desirability. IMO there will be undesirable features both with and without groups, and the division will remain.

The groups are subject orientated . Pick what ever topics interest you and join those groups interested in discussing those topics . You receive alerts when ever someone posts to the groups you have chosen . No one else is excluding you , unless their research has shown that you are a scammer , cause you choose which topics interest you .You make whatever posts you feel like making , within polite society . Rudeness and trolls are , generally speaking , not readily tolerated .

I have joined a few groups, but I seldom go into them. I think it is fine to have some, for those who share some interests; but, having nothing but groups--I would not like that either.

What do you mean cliquey? If a user wants to post, they can post. Anyone can reply to that post. Literally every mechanic involving joining groups, and interacting with groups is non-exclusive. Everything concerning group communication is always open....Are you meaning to say that there should be group chats for every group, within each group to facilitate more open conversation? Because that would make sense. That way, if someone doesn't want to post for discussion, they can have what they probably want in that case.

I'm also for a better breed of open chats, where ongoing conversation is possible. That would create more interaction, bonding, etc.

Cliquey because you hve to be a part of the group to participate. I could have worded it differently but I stand by it. I feel much less free to be a questioner that I a in someone's private area. I like to have complicated discussions about the world and the gorups seem too narrowly focussed with only people who all agree on a specific topic. It is limiting.

I'm not sure you understand. Do you actually join and participate in groups?

@MsAl Okay but all you have to do is request to join. It's not exclusive.

@MarkiusMahamius

Right, but that's besides what is being said here. You're describing something more on the side of the user, rather than the group.

@DZhukovin Its not exclusive as in keeping me out. Its exclusive as in if I take the time to spell out my thoughts I would like to share them with more than just the few people in the specific group.It excludes all the people who are not that interested in spending their time being active involved members, who may have just stopped by to see who is posting interesting stuff on this secular gathering area.

@MsAl Okay

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:393139
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.