Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK The Sunset of Neoliberalism

"I’ve always thought that Trump is a threat to peace in the world. In the realm of public statements pertaining to US military intervention, however, he has been more good than bad. He stirred up tension with North Korea but walked that back. He made noises about Venezuela but evidently got bored and forgot about it when nothing happened. Iran remains a concern.

The point is that, at least in the primaries, we’ve seen no meaningful critique from Democratic politicians charging Trump with insufficient militancy in world affairs, a critique we could easily imagine coming from Hillary Clinton, or from Joe Biden in a different year. For the time being, US foreign policy resembles the relative quiescence of the years following withdrawal from Vietnam, a period then excoriated by Cold Warriors as one stricken by the “Vietnam syndrome.”

The cherry on top of this cake is the ice broken by Sanders on Israel and Palestine. His statements of support for Palestine, however qualified, are a departure from the preceding decades of Zionist boosterism. In a different time, his opponents would be trying to make hay out of his statements. This time around, the best his rivals for the nomination can offer is silence."

WilliamCharles 8 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My take on the support of Israel was always that America is paying homage to some nation that Christianity came out of. Not that the Jews believed that but many Americans did (and do) and the religious think that when Jesus returns the Jews will recognize him this time. That speaks volumes for supporting Israel.

Prior to 1948 that area was simply called Palestine and what it seems to all be about today is occupation, often by force. Many in religious circles of Evangelical religion claim Palestinians will get a nation if they "are good boys" and act properly. Where will this land come from and who is going to give it up? It will never happen. There is no land to give and there is trouble sharing that that they have. The current silence on Zionism is because many see there are 2 ways in which we could go and we would want to keep this as humane as possible. The election of 2 Congresswomen who favor Palestine speaks for itself.

MY take on the support of Israel is that there are many reps and congressmen that are also citizens of Israel and the US has too many interests in the oil rich middle east and need to have a base they can work from..

I tried to delete the question …

After the debacle of Vietnam, our military shied away from Nation Building.....

@bigpawbullets Thanks … I had checked it, but couldn't delete the question.

Sadly, you may be correct when you say that there is "no meaningful critique" of Trump. The rampant nationalism, the unbridled misogyny, the thinly veiled racism and the sketchy record regarding personal and business finances weren't enough to get people to the polls in 2016 to keep Trump out of the Oval Office, so will they finally be enough to get them to the polls in 2020? It remains to be seen.

I believe President Trump will be reelected.

@bigpawbullets You mean reinstalled by Russian interference, and GOP dirty tricks?

@bigpawbullets

Only about 28% of eligible voters bothered to show up at the polls in 2016. A Democratically represented Republic's Achilles heel is the apathy of its people.

This is how a narccistic maniac like Trump ceizes power and creates a life long appointment for themselves. And if not a life long appointment (as is likely the case with Trump) a situation where their assigned charges will do their bidding for years to come and continue to erode the power of the majority.

@Killtheskyfairy
Ok ok... schematics......🍷👌😆

@bigpawbullets In TRUMPS own words he is THE CHOSEN ONE

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:393605
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.