Agnostic.com

16 6

You ever notice that caterpillars are okay for boys to play with and like... But butterflies are for girls... Nature... God... Evolution... Whatever you want to call it thinks your gender roles are crap... 😉

DJVJ311 7 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I lked butterflies and had a collection of live ones for years.

I was really not expecting anyone to pay attention to this post at all, but I'm glad it has sparked some conversation. The nature of this post is a direct quote from a group discussion about a twitter thread in the article below. It's a bout a facepainting clown who got in trouble because a young boy wanted a butterfly painted on his face.

[rearfront.com]

Show me a (young) child that doesn't like having their toenails painted. The boys love it just as much as the girls, until they discover that it's 'wrong.'

Gender is like religion. Try to remain as neutral as you like when you come to raise your kids. Someone else will come along and brainwash them that they should lean towards certain behaviours if they have a penis, and others if they have a vagina.

I disagree.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Well done. Care to clarify as to why?

@NicoleCadmium you are looking for an argument in a theme you dimmed alike to religion. I refuse to argue, you go ahead and raise your kids your way and I wll raise mine my way. Nothing personal... I simply like our differences.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Not an argument. Just some understanding of why you disagree, rather than just saying that you do. I think we have that now: you want to raise your kids in gendered roles, and that's fine. When I said "Try to remain as neutral as you like" it wasn't intended as an instruction.

I played with catepillars as a young girl. I'd have been way more apt to injure a butterfly.

Not everyone is a gender stereotype.

I always played with the caterpillars ...

Its just rubbish

I definitely think societal expectations of gender roles and gender expression need an overhaul. I wish we weren't socilaized to put so much stock in them.

Look up "The Bug Chics " they're great !!!

Ironically most lepidopterologists are male

Incidentally, people, I think some of you may have misunderstood what @DJVJ311 is saying here - I think what he means is that the imposition of gender roles is crap. 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Exactly. This is a direct quote from a group chat that sprung up around this story, because someone had to agree with the parents: [rearfront.com] A CLOWN SHARES WHAT FACE PAINTING TAUGHT HER ABOUT MALE VIOLENCE IN AN ALARMING TWITTER THREAD

I suppose I have this particular problem with many squeamish people..and unfortunately this can be directed to women, see a spider SCREAM , see a mouse SCREAM- need protection of a male to see said critter taken away or destroyed.
Said creature was most likely bloody harmless and possibly a benefit to your house(in the case of the spider anyway), but most small creatures don't need to involve such panic!-and some most certainly don't need such misunderstanding.
I'd teach my children about the joy of nature and its intricacies and help them understand that something beautiful or fascinating does not have to be furry n cute..nor gender specific.

At a rough guess, I'd estimate the percentage of my male friends who are afraid of spiders is about equal to the percentage of my female friends who share that fear.

I have to admit when I saw a rat in the garage I screamed and jumped about 5 feet! That sucker scared the hell out of me. The munchkin (youngest daughter, maybe age 5) comes in from the garage and says she saw a rat. I'm thinking what does she know, mouse I'm sure. OMG it was the size of a small cat!

The idea of a woman screaming upon seeing a spider or a rat is a stereotype which I am sure is not more true of most women than of most men. I (a woman) have had no trouble handling snakes, mice or many other creatures.

I have relocated spiders and mice.

Snakes I leave up to the folks who aren't phobic. (I've got female friends who are willing to do a relocation for me).

Never have I ever screamed about seeing any of them. Though surprise could be a factor in either.

@TerriCity its something I have witnessed through my years..and even more so when I'm posting macro photography of insects lol...however...as it may sound stereotypical the revulsion has been noted, and I believe it might be partly due to early upbringing, with cute toy animals being mainly being aimed at girls, and boys with less cutesy stuff. Anyway...I'm not just trying to generalize but here goes a zoophobia study: [evc-cit.info]

At one time we lived near an undeveloped forrested area. During the summer my kids used to leave after breakfast, show up for lunch and then be home for dinner. They'd spend all day in "the swamp". And OMG the dirt they wore home. They had no fear of snakes, slugs, mud, or anything. They used to pour salt on banana slugs to watch the changes. Oh yes, all girls. They're smart, they're tough, they can dress like a million bucks or like a lumber jack, and eviscerate you in a heart beat. Gender roles? I don't think so. Please don't be so fast to paint us all with the broad brush of "your gender roles are crap." Whose gender roles? Maybe traditional gender roles. They aren't mine. Don't try to put me in a box that I rejected long ago.

Your girls sound wonderful! 🙂

We're clearly on the same side of the actual issues. My post wasn't directed at you but something that came up in an argument with someone and I thought it was beautiful, so I shared it as it was said there.

@Jnei Thank you!! My girls are my shining pride.

Stereotyping is not a good way to arrive at a conclusion.

Pointing out two stereotypes about the same creature is an interesting way to highlight a point.

My sister and I collected caterpillars, worms, snails, spiders, frogs, fish, butterflies, flowers, slow worms, moths and anything else we could catch or find when we were little with no regard for gender (we caught so many frogs and slow worms that I suspect the local populations became used to us and let us catch them, knowing they'd be kept in a bucket and fed grubs for a few hours before being released). We've both retained an interest in nature ever since. And yes; gender roles are crap. 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

My stepfather thought I was gay because I liked flowers. The truth was I liked all living things. ..even those things like snakes, rats, bugs that would send him (202lb, ex-Chief Petty Officer) fleeing from the room.

I had an uncle like that. Six feet and eight inches tall, built like a rocky outcrop, played rugby and served in the Army. If he saw even a tiny spider, he'd freeze.

@Jnei @Reignmond Phobias are phobias! Anyone can have them. (But yes it's really funny when a guy built like a mountain goes paper white).

Caterpillars and squishy and gross-most girls won't touch them. Butterflies are magical for young girls. Boys like squishy and slimy.

I know plenty of girls who dig squishy and slimy. Sorry but they learn these ideas from their elders and compatriots. If you show a kid something interesting and don't shame them for their interest,they're into it.

@Blindbird Agreed. I know several women who, when they were girls, had parents who didn't train them not to like "non-girly" things like caterpillars, construction sets and so on too - and some of them, now they're adults, are qualified biologists and engineers and stuff like that.

I also agree with @Sassygirl3869, though - caterpillars are squishy and gross 🙂

@Jnei many fun things in life are squishy and gross,just saying...

@MarvelAnn They're squishy first and then slimy if you stamp on them 😉 (safety wink - as a vegetarian, I do not stamp on caterpillars!)

My brother hates anything slime or squish or dirty

Interesting that while many girls are indoctrinated to hate squishy gross things, a lot of them are more than happy to go and shovel a ton of horse shit - which is even squishier and grosser than caterpillars, but far better for your roses - out of the stables every Saturday morning in return for half-an-hour's pony riding.

@Jnei Well "ponies"! 😉

Actually I have phobias it's not a texture thing I don't think? lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.