Agnostic.com

46 0

Where did you first learn about God?

Did you grow up wondering about all the fuss about religion? Was it at home or from friends? Traditionally it's from family, but these days kids depend a lot more on their peers.
Might it be that this is a good thing?

GROG 6 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Might it? Do you consider brainwashing infants and toddlers a good thing?

I'm hoping for answers, not more questions. Were you brainwashed like so many others who learned of God or Allah from their parents? GROG

@GROG duh?

Had my 'mother' try to hammer into me her God beliefs, beliefs that were somewhat brought out ONLY when she needed to use them or suited her best btw, she forced me to attend Sunday School, even though she very rarely attended church herself and ONLY when and IF she thought it was necessary to 'keep up appearances.'
But my Dad taught me to ask questions about the things I didn't understand and as such I got expelled from EVERY Sunday School held by every form of Christianity that was around the town.
My Dad was proud of my expulsions, so proud that he kept a folder containing EVERY Expulsion letter and requested that they be buried with him ( which I made sure they were).
Even at both Primary and Secondary School I managed to get myself marked as " Unwanted at Scripture Lessons" ( which were at the time Compulsory) and as such spent many a wonderful hour reading books in the School Library.
At first, I was the only student on the " Unwanted List" but eventually the list grew to having 20 regular 'members' all gathered together in the library once ever week, though time amd years have since intervened, we still manage to occasionally keep in touch and reminisce over those wonderful times when we were left to learn about reality rather than religion.

Ah, an irreverent Aussie. Good story. How are things in Broken Hill? I spent a few years in Perth. GROG

@GROG Well, with drought we are having the 'Hill is drier than a dead Nuns' Nasty, still getting bloody cold weather, especially cold in the evenings, most of the people are still as friendly as ever.

I always wonder what it would be like for me to Have been taught like alot of kids are taught nowadays about god and religion. They are simply just taught about the different flavors of religions, not that it's true or false, but how to think about what's true. 40 years ago in Hamilton, AL, you went to church from birth. You was forced to sit there and learn about God, Jesus, and the bible as it was irrefutable fact about how the earth and everything was formed, and how to live your life as a good Christian boy. You got the deacons and elders, and even the preacher have a smoke in between bible class and service. Then the preacher would sometimes preach about people's body being a temple, and you shouldn't defile it. Then during the week, you would see some of the members who bought and sold cars, try to screw each other out of money. Then others would drink most of the week, others would curse every other word, others would lie every word just to see if you'd believe it and laugh at you if you did, one deacon even did cocaine some. One preacher would smoke weed everyday, and he would go to my dad's store and him and his wife would use the church's charge account and fill their cars up, the elders and deacons did that too. Afew boys older than me was a foul mouth bully piece of shits, but since their parents were rich and deep into the church, it was ok. So when I got old enough to take my beating for not going to church, I quit going. That's how I learned about god, and how much people manipulates him, and use him as a front to make themselves look and feel superior.

I didn't have one single religious person in my life growing up in deeply heathen Lancashire. I went to ostensibly Church of England schools where we sung Beatles songs. It was all very low key. No fire n brimston. To be honest it was all a bit disappointing. I have no hellish history of being forced into any religious point of view. The only thing I had to be utterly silent for was the footie scores. No one cared about people being gay or living together and no being married. The only thing my Dad cared about was us getting on the housing ladder (I had a mortgage at 19) and having a good career. I never discussed religion with my parents, who would have probably laughed if I had. My Mum once told me I had never believed in Father Christmas (she was right) and I have never believed in god. When I told my RE teacher that he said, 'oh cool at least you've given it some thought'.
Being on this site makes me feel a bit guilty. There are deeply religious people in UK...just not very many or very loud.

I should add that religious education is compulsory in UK. However we learn about all modern religions and if you are interested some of the older ones too. I think this is an excellent idea. When you hear about on of them you realise what nonsense they all are. With the possibly exception of Buddhism.

@Amisja About the same as me from a family point of view. Though a generation or two earlier, RE in English schools did mean hard christian indoctrination, that's where I learned to hate it.

lol when my parents tried to force me as a child to believe in a god. they finally stopped takign me to church cuz i was always asking them questions, like prove it.

In my day I don't think kids asked questions. It was, just do as you are told. I never really knew what my parents really believed.

For some reason it was when I lived with my JW grandparents. They did not attend meetings but I found that often I'm hearing of god on the radio or looking at the book of Revelation. It was no surprise when later I was led into Pentecostalism with mom and my step dad.

I guess Sunday School. My parents were/are religious but other than going to church and having to recite the lord's prayer before bed we were never THAT religious at home. I know kids in more recent years who are religious/believe in a god (or at least go to a church/religious function of some kind) though their parents aren't. Religious functions can offer kids/young people opportunities to socialize. They go often to fit in. I don't know if they actually believe in a god/gods but that's not the point.

Your growing-up sounds pretty normal and a bit religious by me. The god thing is just a matter of luck, but I feel the tide is changing. Maybe not in the USA, but in the rest of the world.

@GROG Well, I did attend a private Christian school. It was more a school for kids of the wealthier members of society who did not want their children mixing with the “unwashed masses” who attend public schools. We even had kids from the wealthier Muslim families attend our school. My take on my family is that religion is/was more a tradition than a faith. It was more a label one wears to separate oneself from certain “others” than an actual worship of a deity. Outside of church and school, god is/was rarely discussed. (Oh and where I grew up, it was mandatory to declare a religion because it’s against the law to be an atheist or to be of a religion not acceptable to the government.)

When we moved to Canada, the environment has been pretty much the same. People don’t often discuss religion. There are very few fundamentalists of any faith. When I decided to no longer believe in imaginary omnipotent sky ghosts, nobody really cared. When my brothers and I decided we didn’t want to go to church anymore, my parents didn’t care. I live in one of the most conservative and religious parts of the country but nobody cares what you are as long as you leave other people be. I’m pretty lucky to be an atheist here.

From birth with an Italian-Irish family. Then there was 12 years of Catholic school to really help set things in.

If things got set in, it might have been a painful extraction. Are you all right with spending only eight or ten decades here?

Sunday school. My mother made me go, but only because she thought that at some point I could decide for myself. Which I did after finishing Sunday School and Bible School and going to church a few times. But a few years later, around age 12 or so, I was looking through my dad's bookshelf for something to read (I'm an avid, lifelong reader), and I happened upon something called "The Hunter's Bible." WTF!? I was totally confused. I saw that it was a catalog of books relating to hunting. This led me to Webster's, on another shelf, to look up the word "Bible." The definition was "Bible: A book of books." And whatever scales remained slipped from my eyes, and I understood at last!

When some guy overtook me on the M25 in a fiery chariot with the registration EZ1 4-28

Indoctrinated by birth, awaken at early teen years by a Bertrand Russell book. The rest is history.

Life is but a matter of luck, some good, some not so good. GROG

My grandparents introduced me to religion when I was five.

And, after the introduction, what happened? Did they tell you about heaven and a heavenly father watching over everyone?
It is interesting, all the different ways that the supernatural is introduced to the new members of the human family. It really is all just a matter of luck. GROG

@GROG
I was a christian for 10 years. They told me about heaven, hell, god, and jesus.

I consider myself fairly lucky. With a Presbyterian mother and Catholic father who decided that religion would not be a topic of discussion or argument in our house while I and my younger brother were growing up. As a result other than a before bed prayer to a nondescript omnipotent being that created everything faith wasn't a big thing in my life until around five years old when my mother decider brother and I needed some religion in our lives. As a result we became members of a local Presbyterian church and got to attend Sunday school and vacation bible school in the summer though even by that age I was a bit skeptical over things like how someone who's mother loved them would cast them adrift among the reeds of the Nile and more that one of the articles of the faith that were being heaped on me. I had already gotten the being good is better than being bad thing down (as well as seeing that there was too much "do as I say, not as I do" in what they were trying to teach me so I never developed the unshakable irrational faith so many around us hold today. Something I thank my parents for to this day, though they might not think it was right in hindsight.

Your comment, "...other than a before bed prayer to a nondescript omnipotent being" if probably typical. The child is just doing what they are told, but questions must begin, especially about when prayers don't prove effective. Do you know Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens? GROG

@GROG , Yes. I've read material and watched videos of both. I consider both to be wise guides on my path toward reason though I give myself some room to disagree on some points to seek better answers to my personal questions.

Which one? My dad was a convert to Catholicism. He sent us to Catholic school (until we moved to a place where there was to religious schools.

Do I have to ask again? "Where did you learn about god?" or heaven or the creator of the world. Maybe I should have asked, who told you about god? GROG

@GROG From my father.

At home. The Jewish version from my mother, The Norse version from my father. Always like Odin better than Yahweh.

I was 38 months young when the devil tried to convince of something evil and god's son showed up and casted a spell on the devil and the devil was be gone... after that god's son used to talk to me about his father.

Home my mom

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 26, 2019

i don't know. i was not raised in a religious household, nor did i go to a religious school or hang out with religious people -- and if i had, they would not have been christian at any rate, as i was raised as a secular jew. exceptions: two friends, different ages, different areas, different time periods, told me they couldn't be my friend anymore because i was jewish. so their parents, at least, were religious christians.

i must have heard god mentioned on tv or read a mention in a book (probably many books), but the book wouldn't have been a bible. i never knew whether my parents even believed in a god until i was an adult living three thousand miles away from them and happened to mention to someone that i was an atheist, at which point the other party asked me whether my folks were atheists too. i said i didn't know. i called them long distance to ask them and they couldn't figure out why i would spend the money to ask such a silly question, but at last my mother admitted that she wasn't sure but thought she did believe in god, and my father said he wasn't sure but thought he didn't. so... i really have no clue where i first learned about god, or what it was i learned for that matter.

g

I enjoyed your story. Thanks.

Religion was forced on me and my siblings from birth. We were drug to church every time the doors were open. It stuck with my brother (older) and sister (younger). Sometimes during my teen years I decided to become a heathen.

A mix of grandparents and family. Always seemed so pushed to me.

The monotheists are proselytizers, compelled to spread the good word! GROG

My parents and grandparents were I learned about god. I wish so gullible back then and followed my own path.

Yes, most of us get indoctrinated at home when we are young and trusting of parents who "believe" they are doing good. GROG

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:394233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.