Agnostic.com

42 6

Monogamy

Do you desire monogamy? Is it something you search for? Is it a personal choice? Are there building blocks to monogamy or is it a building block to, say, polygamous relationships?

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Monogamy is the only way to go fir me. I wouldn’t be able to share my woman with anyone else.

I've known happy and unhappy people in both monogamous and non-monogamous relationships. Reading over these comments, it's obvious some people are strongly drawn to one or the other, and some are somewhere in the middle. I was very much a monogamous person for many years, then later preferred poly; I do not think this was an "evolution", so much as a change in taste. The only thing bad about either is if your partner(s) is/are not on board with your decision.

So far, you're the only one who has addressed the last part of the question. Ty

@ashortbeauty I had two relationships in my 20s in which my partner wanted to be non-monogamous, and it absolutely did NOT work for me to the core of my being. At that time in my life, if asked, I would have said I was monogamous for life. However, I did eventually change and was even the person to bring it up in a later relationship. My partner was into trying it at that time, and for awhile, it was the happiest I ever was. However, I don't think I could have forced that change... it just happened, the same way I hated Brussel sprouts at one time and now love them!

I'm not ambitious enough to even consider multiple partners.

I am for polyamory and monogamy, any of those two works for me. Polygamy is not fit for me. I believe in equal opportunity.

Good answer 🙂

Its personal choice but you should always be honest right from the start what ever you do.

On some levels, yes. But when it happens, I find it rather restrictive. I was with one guy who wanted to go monogamous from day one of dating. I stuck with the arrangement. I didn't so much miss seeing other people as the thrill of the chase (or the thrill of being chased.)

It might be different if cohabiting and having sex reasonably often. But when I'm on my own and 'in that mood', a bit of online flirting often scratches the itch.

I would rather an open or polygamous setup then cheating in a supposed monogamous one.
I am old now, I do have some lady friends who want to grow old with me in a non sexual arrangement. A couple know each other, I guess they consider me one of the girls, none of them are at all interested in sex with me or anybody else. Hence, I am not moving in that direction just yet.

I want to be Enough. I want her to be enough.

Love is not pie. I won't run out. No one person has yet met all my needs. Nor have I ever been the one to meet all her needs. I am in deep, intimate, loving relationships with more than one person, and they with others. We are all very happy with the arrangement.

If a relationship isn't monogomas it can't last. I don't tolerate cheating. I'd rather leave than be put in that position. I have 2 ex wives so I know from experience.

Polygamy doesn't involve cheating. I was in a polyamorous relationship. It lasted just as long as my monogamous relationships. It may not be right for you, and that's ok, but saying it's wrong is like saying LGBQ+ is wrong.

I believe in monogamy. My problem is that in most cases that lasts about 12 years or so. There is something that comes along at about the 12 years together span that makes one of us want to go a different way. It isn't always another person either. I'm still trying to figure it out.

My average lies at 6 years...been through it 3 times. Once married the other two times not married.

@ashortbeauty In LTR's 4 times all were married except one. Even so, we lived as married and told others that we were.

I try not to seek it but to build a strong trustworthy, loving relationship would be alright. Til then I'm on the rental market 😉.

I think we (mostly Americans) have had it so ingrained into our psyche that monogamy is "normal" by the Christian religion, that polyamory has a negative and abnormal aura about it for many people. I have never been in a polyamorous relationship and don't know if it would work for me or not. I think if everyone entered into such an arrangement with full honesty and openness and old prejudices didn't enter into the mix causing jealousy and creating other complications, it could work.

After over 2000 years of monogamy being idealized, and still over 70% of peopel admit that they have cheated. I think that humans are animals, and by our naure we are nto generaly wholly monogamous. But, that does nto mean it is not something to strive for.

I think in a relationship, whether monogamous or not,more important is the need to be hoenst with each other. If you talk to divorced persons, it usually isn't the cheating itself, but the lies about the cheatign which really made the partner feel betrayed and caused the end of hte relationship.

So, if you want to try for monogamy, it is best to look at thing srealistically, that it is unlikely. You cna agree to try, but shoudl also agree to be honest if one (or both) of you isn't. Wtih honesty your changes or remainign together are far better.

In polyamy too, it is also best to always be honest with our partner(s) if you want and expect things to last.

I will not be in anything but open or poly relationships, and marriage is out of the question. Which leaves me here:

Monogamy? No.
Polygamy? No.
Ethical non-monogamy? Yes.
Polyamory? Yes

Monogamy is an admirable goal. I personally do not expect it because I do not anticipate owning or be owned by another person. I expect devotion and love when we are together. That's it.

I’m looking for monogamy. I’m a one person at a time kinda girl. I want to be that persons everything and he in return would be mine. We will give 100% of ourselves all of the time. It may unfortunately not work out. We can only hope our love can last forever, if we are happy, but you can’t force love. It either works for you both or it doesn’t.
I’ve never cheated on anyone. I’d rather realize and discuss the breakdown if it ever got to the point that something was lacking and I was tempted to look elsewhere to fulfill a void.
I have been cheated on but then it’s time to move on.
Could it be an age thing in wanting monogamy?
I think there’s a lot of power when 2 matched souls come together, add another person to the mix and it feels like it would diminish and complicate the feelings of being one complete couple.
Each to their own.
These are just my thoughts on this interesting conversation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39472
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.