Agnostic.com

47 8

What did Satan do anyway?

Serious question for some of you who know more about the bible than me. I was raised atheist and only know basics I picked up from culture. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Why exactly is Satan evil? What did he do that was wrong? I only see the posts from atheists here and elsewhere that seem to make him an abnormally moral character than others in the raping torturing baby murdering text. Am I missing something?

MsAl 8 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Why exactly is Satan evil? What did he do that was wrong?"

One thing he did was ask for evidence. When he meets Jesus he demands proof, unlike some dark spirits who immediately "see his glory".
Seeing as Jesus was probably a faith-healer just like the frauds we have today, the most evil person in the world is he who doubts, he who asks for evidence.

For a deeper but quick study:

The best introduction to satan ever;

"Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for long, long years
Stole many a man's soul to waste

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game..."

~Sympathy For the Devil, The Rolling Stones

Who could ask for a better fictional character?😀

I just noticed.... when referring to 'god' many people still use a capital 'G'.....an irrelevant god needs no cap!

blzjz Level 7 Sep 1, 2019

I don't usually capitalize the G in god. Sometimes if I'm referring to a specific god, I'll capitalize it like I would any other name. Oh and sometimes my spellcheck will capitalize it and I don't even realize it.

spell check does that for me. sometimes I undo it, sometimes I let it go. It is a proper known when used refering to hin, even if he is imaginary

🤣This thing is making my emoji trans🤣
I put in the guy and when I hit the button to post the comment it's automatically switched to the female emoji in the comment.

From what I gather all the stories about the character Satan was guilty of was making people think differently about any given situation to emphasize that they should not think for them selves.

Donotbelieve mostly covered it. As far as I remember his main sins were pride, envy of god, and attempting to make himself as god; the same sin he passed onto man in genesis. He was a revolutionary against the first authority figure, the one who demands he never be questioned. He’s the unstoppable force that met the immovable object.

Others have rightly pointed out that Satan was a composite character, moreso a title that got branded on most anything considered evil. It wasn’t until relatively recently in world history, the last few hundred years probably, that Satan was understood to be one single entity. Same as the many different words and concepts that were translated into Hell; they just had this derogatory single term that they would keep applying to more and more things that they didn’t like. Satan represented multiple people and ideologies; hell was multiple places and states of mind.

Lucifer was the morning star, representative of the planet Venus, the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon. He was the angel of music, and exceptionally beautiful. Also described as the great deceiver and supposedly everything he says is a lie, although he seemed to be fairly honest about the effects of eating the fruit. At worst he was an equivocator, not really mentioning the downside to the temptation is that dads gonna be angry but I think they knew that.

Initially he just refused to blindly follow orders. Looking at his mythology objectively, he’s the first entity to ever exercise free will, rebel against authoritarianism, and suggest that people do the same. For this reason he’s a favorable figure in skeptical study of mythology, and many nontheists like Church of Satan see him as a symbol of personal agency and the adversary of authoritarians. He’s only dangerous to Christianity and oppressive ideologies because he represents critical thinking and merit based loyalty. If people listened and followed, that would be the end of them and their false authority. When you’re trying to protect your lies you’ve got to accuse everyone who knows the truth of being a liar.

no such thing as satan. the only god that exists is the personification of the universe.

in judaism, in torah, ha-satan (job title, not personal name, meaning approximately "the prosecuting attorney" ) appears in job and convinces god (also a job title as far as i can tell) to test the title character, which god proceeds to do. he isn't an angel, he isn't a devil, he isn't a villain unless you don't like lawyers, he's just a guy doing his job.

then along came christianity and suddenly he's the bad guy. never having been christian and never having been all that interested in their (confusing, i am told) book, i can't tell you what his crimes were, but he supposedly had been an angel and was kicked out of heaven. sound familiar? oh yeah, adam and eve, garden of eden. looks like a pattern of behavior -- for the god person, not ha-satan!

g

He added to a story that brainwashes people into believing in God and that is pure evil.

Fictional character made up by the church to scare people into obeying them

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 29, 2019

I often enjoy these discussions.
Just to see what others think.

Read the Babble....actually there was no Satan, it was the Son of Gowd (one of them?!?) named Lucifer that went wrong.....

Love the tv show “Lucifer “. He is depicted as god’s Son.

@bradnyijuan just found it on Netflix...binge watching!

Although I am nowhere near an expert on the Bible, I think the main idea about Satan was that he lured people away from God.

Never existed 🤷🏻♂️

whether god exists is irrelevent .....what the sects claim about god is......

@blzjz also irrelevant

@KrypticKalEl hey thanks for that....I have no pickle up my ass about my revelence...

In NZ there are 1000's of Christian Churches,Cathedrals,Temples etc that are open 9am and closed(locked) at 7.30pm depending on Evening Services. There are roughly 5000 Families requiring Accmodation Urgently as there Welfare benefits or Wages don't cover Subsistence needs like Rent,Food,Electric.......... =So with that 1000's Empty Curches, unable to be accessed after 9pm, why is there Homelessnes and Hunger(Lack of Food)=Why can this issue not get ssorted by Central Govt,Local Govt and Churches???=Isiah 58 vs7 for instance. Some Churches have very fine Outreach Programs that fulfil some of the needs of Poverty issues like Homelessness,Food....... but the point is Churches are dying due to lack of (Falling) Congregations when the answer is right in front of them=UNLOCK THE CHURCHES 24/7 till the whole of the issue of Homelessness and Poverty Issues are behind us=The Churches could Enlist Congregation Members to 'do Gods work' (increases Faith presumably) for the poor,destitute,hungry,homeless People 'in need' of all kinds including The ill Physically and Mentally. I don't think its fair that Churches have turned God in to a Nine to Fiver and for the rest of the time over night The Churches arent Places of Refuge if you are Hungry Tired or Cold they are sealed shut for fear The Poor may break in and take things to sell,ironically perhaps to feed their Families. Churches should reflect Gods wishes and Congregations The Vehicle of those wishes and the Nett result would be The General PublicCongregation,Other Churches would SEE the Church in Action 24/7 and a great help in these times of the outcome of the 1980-2019 Failed Trickle-Down Economic Experiment that went so terribly wrong and did not feed down to The Poor, The ill etc(those on 'the bottom of the heap'😉 that was promised with The Economic Reforms of The 80's especially, that brought Privatisation,Corporatisation,Rationalisation and a steady stream of Jobless Unemployed Homeless(some Mortgagee Sales=Banks want their$$$) and give each Country an accepted Unemployment level at circa 3.5% to keep demands on Wage Rounds down therefore no added costs on goods to pay for Wage Rounds therefore kept Inflation down. The Poor are just pieces in a Economic Chess Game to keep $$$ flowing up. Come on Churches its time 'TO DO GODS WORK' if you believe in a) A Monotheistic God. b) Isiah 58 vs 7.

He’s seen as an entity of evil. Others have pointed out that he changes through the Bible due to the myriad of authors, but most Christians (my former self included) typically interpreted him to mean a single entity.
As for what he did, he was a former arch angel named Lucifer who was far greater than any of the other angels let alone humans which is why he rebelled against god who he saw as unjustly favoring the human saying to god “thou didst make me out of fire and he out of clay”. This rebellion was the reason for god kicking Lucifer out of heaven. He’s then attributed to bringing sin into the world in the garden of Eden although the snake is never actually identified as being satan and Christians typically use him as the excuse for evil/hardship in the world (ignoring the fact that this is another example of the problem of evil).
As for why he’s viewed as moral in the atheist community, I’d guess it’s either for irony/mocking Christian logic (especially for the former believers) or the fact that we see actions of their adherents. In the US at least, many times when evangelicals try to erect a religious statue they’re often stopped solely because the satanists will then erect a statue using the same logic (that and they do a lot of outreach programs for underprivileged youth for education without the indoctrination of Christians).

One or two people here have pointed out that Satan/ satan is a title not a name, but the satan is not the same through the bible. In fact several satans appear early on as loyal helpers of god, there is no reason to believe from the bible that the snake in the Garden of Eden is the same thing as any of the others, in fact it seems to be just a snake. Here is quite a good video history you may enjoy.

@Bierbasstard Never heard of the snake being Lilith, but I bet someone came up with that story.

To certain religious people Satan is real, so looking at it from that viewpoint, lets start unpacking what 'he' did.
Firstly, freedom of speech, then democracy, and pursuit of happiness. Compare this against the 'sheep' who follow the rules of God. There are a lot of rules which must be adhered to, or else end up daemon dinners.
Intrinsically if you wish to look at the six basic tenants of American government, then this is what Satanic worship is all about, hence why many in the Muslim world claim the USA to be the great Satan.
Another way to look at it is... All that happens is part of Gods plan, and so the Devil is only doing Gods bidding.
In conclusion, Satan's wrongs are freedom.

Satan is not the snake. Nor did he plant the snake in the garden. That was just a talking snake. That's mythology for you. I think that he enters the picture in the book of Job, the 18th book or the Bible out of 66. He is living in Heaven and is residing in Gods court. A responder or 2 explained that, "Satan," means adversary. He is sort of a prosecuting attorney and tries Job saying that he isn't as holy as God thinks.

An ancient Persian philosopher named Zoroaster came along and invented the idea of one divinity for good and another for evil. Satan, being an adversary, got the job of evil.

I got this from documentaries. But you want to know what happened in the Myth. According to my Catholic schooling, Satan led a revolt trying to take God's place as leader of everything. Saint Micheal, the Arc Angle led the army of angles that cast Satan and his followers into the fires of Hell.

MrDMC Level 7 Aug 29, 2019

To fulfill prophecy.

Is that a 'trick question"? ...rules of the game say that you have to answer this question truthfully. So, is that a "trick question"?

There is no satan, all made up shit so who the fuck cares about something that doesn't exist.

@creative51 i don't like to waste my time in useless subjects.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:395384
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.