Agnostic.com

12 6

College Care Package

I'm making the first ever care package for my oldest child. She's in college. I did not attend college and am not very creative. Please give me ideas of what to send her. I'm not going to give details about her, because I'm just as interested to hear what you would consider ideal care package content. Also college is, hopefully, about widening horizons and your ideas should not be hindered.
Give me your perfect college care package ideas! ☺

(That's some of her art from when she was much younger. It's a self portrait.)

Donotbelieve 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I gave my son a prepaid credit card when he went to school out of state. I got an account with two cards. I kept one and he took the other. If he needed money urgently, I could use my card to deposit money and he would have immediate access. I also set up direct deposit to put a small amount of money into the account every week. It was only $30 per week, but with his on campus job and tutoring he did on the side, it was enough to get him a pizza, movie ticket, etc. every now and then.

JimG Level 8 Sep 5, 2019
  • nonperishable snacks are always a strong addition to a care package; candy, dried fruit, toaster pastries, maybe some water flavor packets
  • earplugs will come in handy eventually, for studying and/or for sleeping
  • a gift certificate to something relaxing, like a salon, will encourage her to take a break when she really needs one
  • although she's only four hours away, she'll probably get homesick; pack something in the care package she left behind that has special sentimental value to her
  • and, just because I'm an imp with a broken sense of humor, include a mix tape with nothing but Xmas songs and Yanni or whatever you think is funny; not only will the tape contain music she doesn't want to listen to, but to even find out what's on the tape she'll first need to find a player

A very talented kid!

I remember getting a box of homemade cookies a few times the first year in college. Reminded me of home kitchen smells. So maybe a favorite snack or something you made for her that will ship well.

I would get her essentials like body wash, soap, shaving cream, etc. etc. and maybe her favourite snack(s) thrown in.... but then I prefer pragmatic gifts myself heh

@Donotbelieve I liked the idea of an external charger. my bloody phone always dies and if I ever remembered to actually charge my external chargers, they'd be quite handy! 😛 heh oops

A spare cell phone charger and a rechargeable power pack.

JimG Level 8 Sep 4, 2019

@Donotbelieve you're welcome.

I love her self portrait - she's adorable! I would do basics but leaned towards treat boxes: we like Asian snacks but there weren't many Asian stores there, so lots of those. Homemade cookies and cakes. Cute trinkets for cellphones, cars, and key fobs. Underwear. Stuff like that. I found many small mailings were more appreciated than fewer large boxes, even if it wasn't as economical. Plus, having treats to share was a good ice breaker opening to offer some to a new friend.

Have you taught her to cook? - if so a box of basics for quick and easy meals ... if not a load of ready home cooked meals that can be pinged.
then set up regular foodparcels ....(with money attached)

Gift cards for her favorite places to eat, roll of quarters for the washateria, healthy snacks for those late night studies before an exam, her favorite makeup if she wears it, dry shampoo, ramen noodles, stationary and stamps, portable charger for her phone. Congrats on getting her to college!

@Donotbelieve She's amazing because you raised her well to use her brain and make good decisions. I know you're very proud of her. 😍

If she was further away I would say local foods that are hard to find other places. Lebanon baloney, Tastekakes, Wilbur Buds, local chips (Utz, Herr’s, Bickles), Farmers Cheese. Off the food, favorite games she liked to play, cards or board games. Books for fun, hobby items. How big a box do you want to pack? 😄

Paracetamol. Multivitamins. Pretty smellies - shower gels, perfume, and such. A huge box of feminine hygiene products, for all those times Aunty Flo arrives without warning. If they're allowed, a teeny tiny fridge, kettle and toasty maker.

@Donotbelieve yes, just thoroughly housebroken. And if I'm a girl, with a beard like this is get my hormones checked...

@Donotbelieve bwahaha! Actual lol!
Oh, and awww, shucks. (Bats eyelids)

Ask her what she needs. That will help you send things that she can use instead of things that will be useless to her.

Ramen noodles!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:397816
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.