Agnostic.com

17 7

Tried to duplicate a restaurant dish. Oops.

"I can make this," I thought confidently yesterday, after paying $2.50 for an "egg bite" made with caramelized onions, spinach and feta cheese. Delicious.

Turns out I can't. I'm unwilling to add heavy cream to eggs. That's why it was so tender, I realized today. Perhaps I should have used a higher proportion of egg yolks as in custard.

Mine turned out a little rubbery and green because I wanted more spinach. Spinach floated to the top in the muffin cups. I used organic, nonfat milk. Mine are more like "egg chews." Ha.

Like mini-soufflés, they rose beautifully and fell when I removed them from the oven.

Oh well. I'll eat them anyway. Hate to waste food.

Have you tried to duplicate a restaurant dish?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've tried several and did ok. I did have one epic fail though. I discovered that if you mix lemon juice and chicken broth in just the right amount, it will taste exactly like vomit. Nothing I could do could save it. 🤢

Remi Level 7 Sep 5, 2019

well sounds like it was an fun experiment for you

@RoyMillar

It generated tons of dirty dishes.

Caramelizing finely sliced onions took 25 minutes on low heat. It took eight eggs to fill a muffin pan. Shame to waste the ingredients.

In retrospect, it would have been better to make an omelet with spinach, feta cheese and caramelized onions.

Ah the never ending dishes,,I tend to wash mine as I am done cooking with them,,still nice and hot and very easy to clean

I have successfully duplicated two recipes: (1) the New Orleans Muffaletta (a sandwich), and a BBQ sauce named Mambo Sauce. The final secret to Mambo Sauce turned out to be: carrots.

Some dishes do require a recipe to follow, others, like lasagne, or spaghetti bolognese are more forgiving, and do not require a strict adherence to a recipe. Egg-based recipes tend to be more problematic.
Many, many years ago, I took a holiday in Cyprus and came across a lovely dish called stifado. Being a time prior to the world wide web, and more adventurous cookbooks, it was not possible to find a recipe for it, but trial and error resulted in my finding what the right spices that gave it its distinctive flavour were.

I tried Salisbury steak.. It turned out well buy I haven't made it in years.. Maybe ill try it again soon... I do make a good veggie and chicken stirfry...

I never order fish at a restaurant. It's ussually over cooked. The cook has too much going on to hit the time on the nose.

Not trying to be difficult, but yes.....with a ribeye steak. I've nailed it:

Take the steak out of the refrigerator 30 minutes or so before cooking. Use a good quality salt and apply liberally. Put in a preheated 275-degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Then sear and finish cooking to the desired done-ness in a pre-heated over medium-high heat cast iron pan. I use grass-fed butter in the pan. Optionally, place some butter on top as it just finishes cooking, long enough to melt and add extra richness.

Works every time.

Try searing first to lock in the juices.

@Mitch07102

I never eat beef because it makes the arthritis in my fingers flare up painfully.

@LiterateHiker I remember. That's why I added, "not trying to be difficult."

@LiterateHiker, @rogueflyer I will give it a shot, although it is hard to imagine being better than the way I do it now. But as a person who eats a lot of beef, I am more than willing to experiment.

Yup... But I have learned to try to make it as it was... Not what I'd like more of or less of in the dish. I used to way overspice stuff. Now I am very careful.

Had a buddy over for my home made chicken & cashew nuts the other night. He asked me why I would ever go out and order it if I can make it better than the restaurant we used to go to. It took YEARS to perfect that dish! Whenever I make it, I make 5 pounds of it so I can vacuum pack it away in the freezer for the times I don't feel like making it. It takes a while with all the prep I do. That way I can come home, put the bag in a pot of cold water and set the stovetop on high... 5 minutes after it starts boiling it is ready and it tastes just as good as when I made it. The cashews might be a little softer though.

Yes, but it was very simple.
A burger that consisted of fried halloumi, garlic baked mushrooms, grilled peppers and baby spinach on a toasted brioche bun with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper.
It's freakin' delicious. Even dedicated carnivores approve.

The reason you liked it so much in the restaurant was because they used all the full fat ingredients which give it the great taste. If you substitute the original ingredients for others the result will be different...both in texture and taste...only logical! I suggest you just keep these delicious restaurant treats for ....well, treating yourself with now and again, by eating out. When at home you can cook your more normal, healthier but less tasty food.

I prefer it when restaurants try to duplicate my dishes. (I wish)

I make egg muffins all the time! No, they don't have the delightful texture of the restaurant egg bites, but they have all the taste and a fraction of the calories. Fortunately, I'd been making the egg muffins for a long time before I tried those egg bites everyone raved about, so they never disappointed me. I hope you enjoyed them regardless!

@synergy

Would you be willing to send me the recipe? Just send me a message. Thank you!

@LiterateHiker it's not really a recipe, but I'll edit this with what I make as soon as I make my next stop!

Edit: So, I start with some kind of already cooked meat - I've used EVERYTHING here, from corned beef to diced pepperoni to turkey or pork bacon or sausage to a spicy Thai meat salad I usually make with ground chicken - and crumble it into the bottom of each muffin tin. I usually use spinach, which I wilt and drain before putting a bit on top of each meat layer. Then I add a bit of either hot salsa or Indian mixed pickle, for a little heat. I've used diced mushrooms here too, also cooked and drained first. I top with a little shredded cheese, whatever I have on hand. Then I pour in egg whites up to about 3/4 full in each tin. Bake at 375f until slightly browned - they're gonna rise right up out of the tin, but they will settle back down quickly as they cool. I use silicone trays and don't bother to grease them first.

If you have a pressure cooker, I've heard a lot of good things about making the egg bites in an instant pot - I think you puree cottage cheese and then add the eggs, but I like my single serve low calorie frittatas well enough to have never looked into how to make them. I believe they use sous vide in the restaurant versions, but I'm not sure.

More simplistic things, but yes I have. In addition I remember seeing a program on PBS it was an interview with a famous chef and he was saying unless everything is "exactly" the same as it was the time you did it before it may not turn out the same.
I would not waste it either 😁

i am sure i have but i can't remember just now. i do have a suggestion: heavy cream has NO carbs,and the less fat in the milk, the more sugar. i'd have used the cream, gladly. nonfat milk doesn't work for much of anything. it's just white water that a cow mooed at once.

g

Heavy cream only has zero carbs per serving - it's lower than milk per unit volume, for sure, and you tend to use less of it, but it's not like cream is some magical carb free product. One cup of cream has about 7g carbs, compared to about 12g carbs in a cup of whole milk OR skim milk.

@synergy i hate to ask but how many cups of cream would you be consuming at once if you'd used it in this treat?

g

@genessa well, say you use a quarter cup of some sort of cow juice when you make eggs. That means you can use something with 2g of carbs and 200 calories, or something with 3g of carbs and 40 calories. As with all ingredients and dishes, there are gives and takes.

I'm actually fairly low carb - the only sugar I eat is in dairy or berries, and I consume precious few other carbs that aren't in low GI vegetables - but I don't automatically avoid reduced fat dairy on the assumption that it will be loaded with sugars. That just isn't a hard and fast rule. I look at the total nutritional data and weigh the carbs against the calories. Both matter to me.

@synergy but... taste lol! texture!

g

@genessa lol, I do have to admit that you'd never, ever catch me putting skim milk in red sauce and trying to call it vodka sauce =p

@synergy rofl if i did, i wouldn't tell. i'm no snitch! (but... don't!)

g

@genessa actually, when I make something resembling vodka sauce, I make a lightish Alfredo and add some red sauce, lol. Still don't try to use milk for that =p

@synergy i make a mean alfredo myself, and i am afraid i don't go especially light. i am not familiar with vodka sauce but then i don't like vodka, and i can't drink anyway (diabetes).

g

@synergy “Cow juice” Blenheim 🤢😂

@genessa I don't actually put vodka in mine, and maybe because I grew up in a non-alcoholic household, we called it pink sauce. I was delighted to discover that restaurants make something quite similar under the name of vodka sauce. My Alfredo for eating as a white sauce is quite heavy, but I don't make it frequently. For pink sauce, a light version works well.

@synergy i don't hate tomato sauce but i don't favor it, so when i make any kind of pasta, or a pizza, if i make a sauce it's a white sauce, generally an alfredo. since i will put canned tomatoes on a pizza, i use the juice, with a LOT of powdered milk, instead of milk or cream, for the sauce. so it comes out pink too!

g

@genessa May I ask what you have come to use for pasta? I'm always interested in lower glycemic index options. I've tried many legume based pastas, and think the chickpea pasta is the best of the bunch. Still feel like there's got to be something better out there!

@synergy i use whatever i get for free from the food shelf. i'm poor. but i exercise portion control and add a ton of veg and a little meat, also mostly from the food shelf. reminds me: i need to call them.

g

@genessa fair enough, I have been there at points in my life. I wish you all the best <3

@synergy and likewise 🙂)

g

I have tried to duplicate. I have not tried successfully.

Ha, ha, ha. Cooking is an exploration. 😎

I'm an average cook at best and I most often use whatever happens to be in the kitchen at the time. I'd be embarrassed to tell how often it didn't exactly exceed expectations (I would if I took it as more than an enjoyable game that is.)
I'm more happy that you are knowledgeable enough to quickly come up with a plan to improve next time -- that's the game.

I use observation bias to emphasize and remember the good over the bad. Lol.😎

The non-fat milk is in effect water, you need to use full fat for full flavour.

@Sofabeast

Thank you for the tip. I appreciate it.

@LiterateHiker No worries.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:398295
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.