Agnostic.com

30 10

Hiking dilemma. Be a good sport or bail with thunderstorms?

Tomorrow our fearless hiking leader, Gro, wants to hike steep Fourth of July trail with a 70% chance of rain. This trail is high in the mountains.

Hazardous weather outlook: slow-moving thunderstorms in the mountains with heavy rain and possible mudslides and landslides in steep (check) and burned terrain (check).

Instead, I suggested we hike on Wednesday (sunny) or down-shift to lower Icicle Gorge trail. We can enjoy Icicle Gorge even in the rain.

Gro has a long history of wanting to keep going in heavy rain, lightning, hail, snowstorms, ice storms, etc. I think that's nuts. Safety first.

My favorite hiking partner Karen is gone this week. Karen hikes at my pace. So, I'm stuck with Gro who is so fast, I wind up hiking alone. No fun.

Be a good sport or bail?

Photo: Karen (left) and Gro (right) on Fourth of July trail in good weather. 2016.

UPDATE: I decided to bail. Thanks, everyone!

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@ATDayHiker, @KKGator, @ToolGuy, @evergreen, @synergy, @MizJ, @VictoriaNotes

Thank you for your sound advice.

I'm bailing.

Bail.
This "leader" is willing to put people in jeopardy out of sheer stubborness.
This isn't about being a "good sport", it's about not following someone who
has questionable judgment.

Too many good sports end up on the news, needing to be rescued.

Safety first!

He sounds like an obsessive which is not a good companion to have in any threatening situation. Common sense says “be sensible”, obsessive says “I’m better than sensible!”

This seems a classic trust yourself. Besides, you are not likely to enjoy because you will probably be anxious all the time.

Just a thought!

@Geoffrey51

Thank you for your wise reply.

Gro is the woman on the right in the photo. She's Norwegian.

@LiterateHiker Just at a glance looks like someone with some self-esteem issues and needs to prove herself. Not the best of judgement calls therefore I would suspect

Bail. Just about every disaster movie I have seen involved some hubris.

right decision

Good decision. Safety first.

I was going to ask, What's a thunderstorm? However, Friday night I heard some noise and got up to see. The whole area was lighting up and rumbling was happening. This is extremely rare here. Storms and no fun why go?

Safety first.

Stay safe, bail. Too dangerous.

Bail. Safety is too important.

I would advise to err on the side of safety,too many hikers have been killed or injured by Lightning strikes.

Bail out. Hiking is supposed to be fun, and hiking by yourself in a storm is not fun.

There's being a "good sport", and there's being unwise. To this situation, I'd apply the same rule I use for motorcycling. I love doing it too much, to want to DIE doing it, so I try to always make wise decisions so I can live to do it longer !

Follow your best instinct.

@evergreen

You're right. On Fourth of July trail, we would be exposed, high on ridges with thunderstorms and lighting. Unsafe.

Bail. No reason to run the risk.

I was going to say, when safety is an issue, it's not "being a good sport". So I agree with your decision.

Bailing was the right thing to do,,to many unknown safety variables not in your favour,wise decsion

I've gone hiking with a few people who blast through and been left behind as well. 8 hours of hiking with people and I was alone. ( Of course I saw things They went right by!) As for weather, one of my favorite mountains is completely unpredictable. I would look for good weather for a several day trip and end up hiking out the next morning after a 50 degree drop in temperature. I don't go if I know it's going to be bad, but if it goes sour, I will always remember it.

If it was me, I would go with the folks that hike over my head and then get caught in the bad weather. My advice, don't be like me.....

Don't go, why punish yourself and then hate Gro. Stay home girl, put on the TV or read a good book and look out the window while it rains.

Glad you bailed. I would say bail. I may not have always said that but after I had to have a hip replacement after a fall which broke my femoral neck and ball I have realized that it is just insane to want to be GI Jane.

Okay... I'll be the one who says, "Damn the torpedoes... Full speed ahead!"

What are you afraid of water and mud for? You have good soles on your hiking boots don't you? As far as lightning... The trees will protect you! They are taller than you... Just don't seek cover under their branches. You may want to bring a boogie board in case of a mudslide. No reason you can't have fun coming down in case of mudslides or flooding. Nature's little Express Elevator going down...

So... Did you REALLY expect someone to talk you into going?

Now, when you bail, you can tell her that you did a poll and 92% of respondents suggested you bail. That is MUCH more believable than, "Everyone said not to go!" 😉

@RickRiver

On Fourth of July trail, we are exposed climbing ridge after ridge. It gains 1,000' in elevation per mile.

I will bail. We could be easily hit with lightning.

As you said safety first. There will be other days to hike if your not struck by lightning or swept up in a mudslide.

JimG Level 8 Sep 9, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:399893
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.