Agnostic.com

41 4

If you had to kill your own meat would you?

I am curious how many people would be vegan or vegetarian, if they had to slaughter their own meat, or watch it be killed? I know it doesn’t bother everyone. I have family that hunts, skins, and cleans their kill. I also do not preach to those who choose to eat meat. It’s your life, live it how you want. I do think many people choose to ignore the actual process of meat getting to the store, all cleaned up and packaged neatly. I also wonder for those who hunt yet claim to love animals, how does that go hand in hand? I’m not judging, I really am curious. Aberham Twerski said this regarding love: “‘Young man. Why are you eating that fish?’ The young mans says, ‘Because I love fish.’ He says, ‘Oh. You love the fish. That’s why you took it out of the water and killed it and boiled it.’ He says, ‘Don’t tell me you love the fish. You love yourself, and because the fish tastes good to you; therefore, you took it out of the water and killed it and boiled it.’

BohoHeathen 8 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Probably not...
A stray chicken found me and I actually feel guilty if I eat chicken now... lol

@BohoHeathen it's TRUE. Lol

I would only do it if I needed food. Not for sport

Did this, when I first left the army hunted food until I got back to work, my family ate wild game and thrived

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 10, 2019

I was involved in the annual slaughter of pigs. I have now learned enough of nutriotion that I do not have to slaughter pigs anymore, or goats, cows and sheep and chickens. So no,Iwould not.

Yes I would, and I have no problem with eating road kill..yes I can dress a kill (skin & gut)..I also have no problem with fishing..or trapping (rabbit, squirrels)..I would do whatever needed to stay alive..obviously I'm an omnivore..hunting for food and loving an animal(s) are separate needs..one is survival the other companionship..I wouldn't kill to consume endangered species..

I have hunted and fished. I made a point of eating or trying to eat whatever animal or fish I took. First, I was not really good at either, so no creatures went extinct while I was hunting/gathering. Second, cleaning the catch was not fun, but fortunately I never killed a large animal like a dear or bear. Third, I could never be a farmer and raise animals to be slaughtered, but then I could never be a boxer or a surgeon either. Cutting live flesh is not something I would do willingly. Fourth, my rationalizing for eating meat is that putting that meat on the table is employment and income for thousands of people. Farm kids are lovingly raising animals for slaughter because it is the life they were brought up in. And millions of animals would never be born at all if it wasn’t for the food industry.
I realize the corporate farming and slaughtering is not pleasant, I have been inside chicken processing plants. But then vegetable farming on the corporate scale often mistreats humans in the process of growing those vegetables. But there would be no other way to feed our exploding population with mom and pop farms. They are a luxury few can afford, and I want to grow my own vegetables about as much as I want to hunt my own meat! 😊

I loved growing vegetables. But it was a very very small garden. 🙂

How many of you can say that you don't eat a hamburger, or have bacon or sausage with breakfast

@BohoHeathen never even eggs?

I used to hunt elk and deer every year, their natural predators are pretty much gone. I love animals, but they have to be culled.

I used to hunt elk and deer every year, their natural predators are pretty much gone. I love animals, but they have to be culled.

I live on 12 acres beside a river for a reason. I don't hunt, but I shoot targets. But if I had to, my freezer would be filled with Deer, bear, turkey and whatever else might be good. I catch fish fresh so I wouldn't freeze them.

I'd kill a bologna in a second.

How could you!! 😉

@BeeHappy drown it in mustard.

@hankster lol, that's one way. Or burn it at the stake... oh, I mean pan.

I could if I had to. I could never raise an animal for food, but I could kill wild game again if I had to. I watch some shows about Alaskans who choose to live the wilderness lifestyle and one of the guys explained something in a way I had never considered. There are hardly any wild animals who die of old age. Some die because they're prey, some die from disease, some die from starvation, some die from fire, some die from flooding, etc., but I would guess that very few die from being old. Having to intentionally kill an animal would definitely bother me.

Society in the UK dosen't hunt often. We but from supermarkets or butchers. We are a mostly urban society and many have forgot where meat comes from. In education small children appear reviled at the idea their chicken nuggets came from a bird, burgers from a cow, bacon from a pig and so on. Many seem to think that pork sausages are made in a factory from stuff, not thinking that it was once a living animal or two.
Then milk, or cow juice as I often wind kids up with. Squeeze an orange, what do you get? Orange juice, squeeze a cow - cow juice.
All complex life kills and consumes to live. Humans are a hunter species.

Yes

I have. We raised chickens. I have fished.

Yes. That said not as often, as it is very messy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.