Agnostic.com

15 4

LINK AI will transform religion with robot priests like this one - Vox

Automation is going to affect lots of jobs, including those of the priests!

Spongebob 7 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is the the same as the "sex dolls" will replace sex workers?

I can't find any sex workers around here. Sex robots would be strange, but neither is really a welcome option.

It’s just a playback device with a metal body!

This is how nonsense about organised religion begins. Give it a body and something enigmatic to say and suddenly it is revered as holy.

Think we’ve been here before!

I doubt that we can know artificial intel before we know natural intel.

If robot priests don’t kill religion once and for all then nothing will.

Reminds me of Douglas Adams' electronic monks.

Give it a little time and it will be a robot who returned from the dead. At least it is more believable.

They are already here!

AI who? Yankovic?

Oh FFS, just what the world truly needs, NOT, robot priests with no empathy, etc, just spewing out tired old rhetoric and religious twaddle, Oh hang on a minute, Human Priests do that anyway don't they?
Have said all of that, I supposed the good news would be that robot Priests wouldn't abuse Altar Boys, etc, BUT they might suddenly decide to get fresh with Electrical fittings, devices like I-phones, I-pads,etc, etc, NOW that would be shocking....LOL.

Robots will change religion. This change could be good or bad.

Then they will create their own religion
[cc.com]

Nah, ttaining a robot to deliver preformed ideas and rituals, and include reactions to its environment, isnt really neurocally equivalent to believing.

The existence of AI and the potential for it to have human level intelligence is a huge philosophical problem for theology, and especially for christians.

Major religions will have to ask questions that may undermine a lot of their core assumptions, such as the assumption that a soul exists.

If you assume that robots don't have a soul because they were not divinely created, then you have to answer what happens to a robot's mind after it dies, or what happens to people who are created outside of natural birth.

If you assume that robots do have a soul, then questions about the morality of providing them tasking must be asked. Under this assumption, AI technology is basically the same then as locking an autistic child in a box and making it your slave.

Either way you have more problems then answers.

Fairly sure that if we teach religion to AI that that's the evidence they'll use to prove that they are superior to us, thus justifying our enslavement and eventual extermination of us by them.

No good can ever come from teaching religion to anything.

1of5 Level 8 Sep 15, 2019

AI isn't dangerous because it's going to enslave us, or exterminate us for superiority reasons, those are human traits which AI is unlikely to poses. The true danger comes from the fact that it could be much more intelligent than we are and we don't know why it's doing what it's doing, so much so that the dumbest plan conceived by an AI is better than the smartest plan conceived by a human.

If you give it a goal, it will try to achieve that goal at all cost. So if you make a recursive learning AI to say, collect rare coins, you might connect it to the internet and give it your credit card info expecting it to use ebay to bid on snow globes, but instead it sends emails to private collectors asking them to donate their coins to a museum that doesn't exist, or hack into shipping systems to have coins purchased by others re-directed to your house.

There are already tons of examples of AI doing tons of totally unexpected things that the developers hadn't thought of and solving complex problems in ways that shouldn't have been possible.

@Happy_Killbot that's true and all, and yet totally misses the point.

Why not? It's a mindless but programmed machine...and probably about as capable of empathy as you-know-who!
Religion's lasted milennia with mindless, programmed rhetoric....think of the money those churches could save.

@Seeker3CO OR--fund more demonstrations...."GOD HATES FAGS": flags, etc....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:402566
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.