Agnostic.com

34 4

DO YOU THINK DISORGANIZED (NEW AGE) RELIGION IS AS BAD AS ORGANIZED RELIGION?

We see a lot of religious hoo-woo masquerading as "spirituality" in the New Age.

Much of this nonsense is as dangerous to sanity & common sense as the specious dogma promoted by organized religion. Do you agree?

Remiforce 7 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Woo is bad. It's as contaminated a thought process as organized religion.

I certainly agree. As a younger man I studied all kinds of nonsense that was a part of the supernatural. Today I see it all for what it is. It is all "woo." There comes a time in your life that you have to openly admit that "you do not know." If this is not done you just keep on making things up to attract others.

There is a lot of mind candy out there to attract the naive. A lot of charlatans are selling their special brands of secret or sacred knowledge. Beware the Fool Bait . Often it is very seductive

There are 3 parts of this issue that matter to me. New Age or conservative religion are equally irrelevant otherwise.
Whether I personally am subjected to their beliefs: wishy washy random thoughts treated as truth can be harmful and just plain stupid. I don't want to be forced to do anything just because of their delusion. I don't even want to hear crazy made up BS.
Whether people I know and love are duped into believing something false: Not everyone in my world is as enlightened as I am. In fact, I fear that I have some loved ones in my life that are easily led astray. Don't mess with them.
Can they affect society as a whole?: Public policy ought to be based on objective reality and benefit all equally or not harm or bias any group, at least with the benefit of the whole taken into consideration.

There are only two sensible people in the world--me & thee, & sometimes I wonder about thee.

As far as holding a dogma, particpating in group rituals, and congregating with others who share the same beliefs, theres quite a bit of religion in this world, and that includes many athrists, sgnostics, humanists, etc...

Rejecting theism doesnt always mean rejecting religion

Did not cared then... not caring now.

bad for whom? i am not in charge of other people's sanity and common sense unless they try to push it on me (or others -- or legislate, execute or adjudicate it). it has nothing to do with how entrenched they are. the organization is important; organized christianity and, where it is also sharia law, islam, tried to control what other people do. local woo doesn't.

g

I think they are as bad, as far as leading people to believe untrue things, but not as bad for the country. The reason is because of the things happening today in our government with the anti women's rights laws, and "in god we trust" being posted in schools, bathroom bills and a president who is anti science. All because of mainstream religion.

I agree with @jlynn37 they promote the same supernatural nonsense but they aren't as entrenched (haven't accumulated as much power) (yet?) in our society.

Additional: There are always splinter groups. Some grow big enough and last long enough to call themselves mainstream religions. Lol.😎

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403923
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.