Agnostic.com

30 4

What do you think about this saying "there is someone for everyone?" Is it true or BS?

Aralt 7 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I mean even hitler had a girlfriend

Further proving that he was just a man, not an exception.

Not to be cynical, well not just for the sake of being cynical; but both Manson and Hitler had a certain status that some people find attractive.

@Rudy1962 exactly what I think when this gets brought up.

@Aralt y'all realize I was joking right?

I don't know. I thought I'd found said someone but she left me.

same

I'm sorry.

I certainly hope there is more than one. What if that person lives in China?

Good point

Or even harder,North Korea

I call BS,
there are many possibles for most and probably none for some. I seem to be in the latter category.

I would like, but that seems unfair in light of your second sentence.

It's BS based on a religious idea of predestination. That said it feels like people who are a good fit with my world view are "the one". This, of course, changes as my world view (or theirs, or both) changes.

Predestination is not just the prerogative of religion. There are sound secular arguments that support it too. In the romantic, You end up with your high school sweetheart or a co-worker in much the same bracket of attractiveness as yourself. Political and science, Marx took the view that society forms a breeding ground for ideas rather than ideas shape society. For example the telephone, if Bell had not patented it then another guy was 20 mins behind him.

@273kelvin I would argue that they are different things precisely because another guy was 20 mins behind Bell. Predestination would have it that Bell was the only one (and this is reflected in the popular view of history) who was ever going to invent the telephone. The Great Man theory; itself an offshoot of a Christian world view. The theory of broad historical trends is precisely the opposite, as is the idea that people cluster and partner within their comfort zones. That does not mean that there is one ideal partner waiting for you out there somewhere. Just that you are more likely to mate within your own class. Which is really just a way of saying that people who meet each other are more likely to form permanent bonds than random strangers.

There is at least one someone for everyone. Usually, there are more.

It's been my experience.

I think statistically speaking it is true. Unfortunately geographically that someone might be on the other side of the globe.

Actually with the access people have today to each other it kind of is. I have an Australian friend who found his love in the Philippines. Since communicating online she has moved her and her two children to live with him.

The population is about 51.5% women and 48.5% male, the homosexuality rate is about the same for both genders. Hence, there can not be someone for everyone even if everyone was optimally matched up.

The numbers get worse when you consider the male-female incarceration rate.

I think if I had a spaceship that went faster than light I could find her on a planet 13 galaxies away.

>>There is someone for everyone<< is part of a qutation by J.A. Redmerski in her book >> Kindred (The Darkwoods Trilogy #2) << here is the full quote >> “I believe there’s someone out there for everyone,” he {Isaac} says, “and when you meet that person, sometimes you know right away they are who you were meant to be with. And sometimes, years can go by before you let yourself believe that the feeling you’ve had about a person for so long, is actually love. And what a waste that is.” << is it BS think about it this way >> Here a proverb << "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
"Beauty cannot be judged objectively, for what one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another." As in this Proverb and as in Your aformentioned quote to it is in the eye , mind, conscience or phychic of the reader, thereforth it is how it moves you that matter and only you will know if it is BS on any day and in what ever siuation moment arises. Peace out.

I'm not much for 'predestination.' Things happen. Yes, if you are happy and love yourself, good things are likely to happen. If you are actively engaged in social interaction with others, better still! Just remember that successful life consists mostly of not just what happens to us, but our reactions to it!

Probably, if you really want someone. Usually, people who don't have a companion don't really want one, discouraging those who try.

That would be me. Only totally relentlessly optimistic, persistant people have succeeded, which is why I'm worried, since my ex hasn't given up trying to get back with me.

If you think you found someone, then let them go. If they come back they're yours and if not then they were never yours to begin with. I don't believe in the "L" word. Undefinable and people tend to put to many mushy and fake descriptives that will put one way off the plateau. Someone once told me that if a woman is good in the Kitchen then she is good in bed. I will always go for a persons soul instead of their physical appearance. Buy an Ugly Woman a House is another I would hear as a successful way to stable relationship. Houses are very important and how one looks on paper are other entrapments for short lived romances.

I believe this is true. I don't believe there is only one person for everyone. We find sincere connections with different people in our lifetime. I thought I met "the one" on a few different occasions. lol!

I think there is if your not at all picky like pin the tail on the donkey.

From a scientific standpoint, I think it has to do with genetics and our attraction to persons who will produce optimal offspring. This would indicate that there are many someones for everyone. From a romantic standpoint, sometimes you meet someone and it truly is like you have known them your entire life and they complete you. Again, this would indicate that there are many someones for everyone. So it begs the question, is it more comforting to know that there is just one someone for everyone or many someones?

At this age, B.S.

There is someone for everyone if you truly are looking for someone. To say there is only one person for everyone is BS. If this last one seems to be you, then you are making that happen. If you are not with "the one" any longer it is simply up to you as whether you want another or not.

I believe that there are multiple "someones" out there for anyone who will seek and find them. Its a matter of being open to the experience in my opinion.

I do not believe that saying is true.

True

Probably, but that someone might be in another country, in a town I've never heard of or will never see. You can see proof every day at Walmart....lol

A predestined someone? Nope. In terms of numbers, compatability, geography, absolutely.

I think it is total B.S.

The opportunity is there whether you take advantage and respond is a totally different story. Someone may want you in their life but you may not have reciprocal feelings. And vica versa. Its the dance of life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.