Agnostic.com

21 17

Stigma of Working in the Gig Economy. Your thoughts?

Yesterday I received a message from a 60-year-old man on Fitness Singles. I told him I’m dating Dave who lives in Leavenworth, and only date one man at a time. I asked what his experience has been with online dating.

Julio is a first-generation Cuban-American, born in the U.S. His parents immigrated from Cuba.

“It’s been discouraging,” Julio said. “Even independent women expect me to take care of them financially. It’s surprising.”

"For 15 years, I was a project manager for Nokia in Dallas, Texas that went belly-up," he explained. "My ex-wife moved with my 17-year-old daughter to Seattle. I followed to be close to my daughter. I applied for project manager positions at Seattle tech companies like Microsoft. They essentially said I’m too old. Now I’m working as a driver for Lyft and Uber.”

Julio's working in the gig economy shows his resilience. He is helping support one daughter in college and another in high school.

“Americans expect successful people, especially men, to have a constant upward trajectory,” I replied. “That’s why women are taken aback and put off when you explain you work for the gig economy. They don’t understand.”

“What are you doing here?” people asked, shocked. I was working at Macy’s department store after the health food store I managed was sold in 2003.

“Surviving,” I replied, smiling bravely. But I felt ashamed.

In the American Midwest, millions of people lost manufacturing jobs when companies moved jobs offshore for cheaper labor. You'd think people would have more understanding and compassion.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Julio is taking care of his family. That makes him a pretty damn valuable human being. As a society, Americans put more value on people's financial worth than we do on who they are. Indeed, even our own self-esteem is predicated on how much we earn, how much we own.@LiterateHiker, you had nothing to be ashamed of when you worked in retail, but your shame is exactly testament to how much this capitalist mindset ingrained in us from our childhood. As a man, my financial success, lack thereof, or perceived/relative lack thereof, has weighed on me much of my adult life. Some years ago, I messaged a woman on a dating site. She responded condescendingly about my income range, shaming me for contacting her because she earned more than I. Capitalism kills our hearts and poisons our minds.

@BobbyZen

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful reply. I appreciate you.

@LiterateHiker And I appreciate your articulate posts, always, even those to which I sometimes post opposing views 😉

@Bobbyzen I agree, . @literatehikers posts always are worth reading. I don't always agree either. But i appreciate her contribution.

@Bobbyzen, @Bigwavedave

Thank you. Hugs. Kathleen

It is normal, life is hard. I know many men and women just like this. I was also in the telecon business for 7 years , and highly paid. After 9/11 that industry collapsed. I had two children one in high school and one in college. My wife was a teacher ( and still is), that paid enough money to keep food on the table but not the mortgage and bills. After 11 months and as unemployment ran out I started at a new position. It was 50% less money. It was enough to keep the house.

I was 44 years old, and selling door to door. I got good at what I did, and was promoted , after a number of years, I was quite successful, and no longer selling door to door. I was paying cash for my children's college, because I didn't want them to have college loans.

Then the economy collapsed because of the subprime mortgage debacle. This directly impacted my job, by now I was 51. When they laid off 75% of the sales people in my company, I got a promotion. But I saw the writing on the wall and knew that there would be no money to be made for years untl the industry recovered.

I started over, again at 51. Selling financial technology software. My colleagues were all in their 20s and 30's and openly questioned my ability and relevance. In two years, I became the #1 sales professional. I held that spot for over 11 years. The technology and industry is evolving at a dizzying pace, and this year at 63, it looks like the first time in my professional life, I won't hit my goal. The first time I won't make Presidents Club.

I had planned to retire at 62 and now am some 13 months past that date. When I look back, I can absolutely commiserate with this gentlemen and others. Each step of the way, we make choices and seek to survive and move on. I make sure, I help every displaced professional I know with networking and job introductions. When I needed that, there was no one for me. One of my small joys in life is the number of people I helped and how many bounced back.

I hope Julio keeps at it and finds a fulfilling position. I hope everyone does.

@Bigwavedave

Thank you for your well-written, insightful, brilliant and thoughtful reply.

You increased my understanding and compassion. Bravo!

@LiterateHiker I believe if we all knew each others stories and walked life in their shoes and saw each others challenges, we would be more compassionate and respectful. I suppose there are some people who are born of money and wealth that don't face as many challenges. The Trumps and Bushes come to mind. But then I haven't walked in their shoes. I hope Juio doesn't settle for the gig economy. He has more to offer, he just has to find it.

You don't say what happened with you , post Macys. If you are willing to share, I am curious.

I know for me right now, I hate to go out on an unsuccessful note after such a long and challenging , and successful career. But if I am truthful to my self, I am lacking motivation. I have the means to retire, and live a comfortable life. I will have to see how it goes in the next three months.

One thing I know about you is that as long as you are able to walk, you will have your passion in high country hiking.

@Bigwavedave you would not be going out on a unsuccessful note. You had a wonderful career and now time for other things.

@GreatNani thank you that was very kind of you to say.

@BigWaveDave

This morning, I copied and sent your kind reply to Julio. "Thank you," he replied. I also wrote:

Julio,

Your skills are transferable to the medical industry.

My daughter Claire works for Evergreen Medical Center in Kirkland, the largest medical center in Washington State. Evergreen has a contract with Microsoft. On the Microsoft main campus, Claire orients Microsoft employees to their medical insurance options. Her listening, people skills, friendliness, empathy and great memory are invaluable.

After working at Evergreen for eight months, Claire was promoted and given a big raise to $84,000/year plus overtime. She is now a team leader, trainer and supervisor.

Check out employment on the Evergreen Medical Center website.

"Thank you. I will," Julio replied.

@LiterateHiker thank you for doing that . We all need to do that . Every day . All the time. Thank you so much .

Handsome guy who uprooted his life to be close to his children. That is admirable.

@GreatNani

Exactly. Thank you for your kind reply. Love you!

@greatnani did he have to be handsome to be admirable? 🙂

@Bigwavedave ha! No. The wanting to be a part of his children's lives is admirable. Many men do not. Handsome is just a plus, not a necessity🙂

@GreatNani LOL perhaps the order of words would have helped bigwave understand... like if you put he is also handsome after the admirable sentence. 😉 😛

@demifeministgal Yes true! I should have. Just a random comment as I lay sick in bed 🙂

@GreatNani yeaa I am pretty sure my own male parental figure would never move if my mother had moved me and my sister elsewhere and he doesn't even have a high end job like a manager of a tech company... he just works in factories....

@demifeministgal I am hoping that things are changing and that men are able to feel as connected to their children as women. We need to nurture that, children need both their parents.

@GreatNani well us unhandsome fellows want to know! 🙂

@Bigwavedave unhandsome fellows? None of those here on Agnostic!😉

@GreatNani lol I was just saying ......sorry aboutvyoir breakup

@Bigwavedave oh well thank you. These things happen.

This is a perfect example of why a college education isn't the "investment" it
used to be. It's also a really great example of how being dedicated to maintaining
a career is damned near impossible for many people in this economy.

It USED to be that a person could get a job with a company, right out of school,
work there for decades and then retire from the same company.
It is NOT like that anymore. Those kinds of jobs don't really even exist anymore.
Unfortunately, too many people (okay, older people) haven't recognized, or
accepted, that is no longer the case.

These days, people are taking the work they can get.
All 50 states are "At-Will" employment states. Any employer can fire anyone,
at any time, for any reason, with virtually no consequences.
Wrongful termination has become increasingly harder to prove.

This has ALL been by design.

As for the dichotomy created by some women still expecting men to be
responsible for "taking care of" them, while still demanding equality,
I've got nothin'.
I don't understand that particular hypocrisy.
Maybe because I've been at this life thing for a while and I've seen firsthand
how it simply doesn't work that way in reality.
I've seen women who want it both ways, and how spectacularly it usually fails.
I've also seen men who insist that particular scenario is what they want, too.
It just doesn't work. It's a new age. The old ways of doing things no longer work.
As I am fond of saying, the "good old days" never really existed.
Mindsets are tough to change.

I wish Julio good luck. Just like I do the rest of us.

I dropped out after two semesters and it was the best decision I’ve ever made.

@indirect76 I never finished, and I'm not sorry about that.

They don't because the system has brainwashed the masses to blame themselves. It keeps them from blaming those in power. This is a textbook example of what Chomsky referred to in his famous essay, Manufacturing Consent.

I see absolutely no shame in what people need to do for a living. The people who should be ashamed are the ones who put them down for it. My respect for someone has nothing to do with what someone does, but for who they are as a person, and I have a lot less respect for anyone who would judge them.

From a guy’s perspective, I would worry if she was doing something she enjoyed or was stuck in a lifeless path and also her financial security. It is one thing if you’ve been dating for a while to help out financially, that shouldn’t be an issue, but three months in or constantly would be concerning.

Obviously, the US has lost a lot of good, full-time jobs. Some is due to closings, some to moving jobs off-shore. What burns me, is when companies move jobs for cheaper labor, then proceed to over pay the executives. Or buy back stock, which mostly helps the executives and to a lesser extent the shareholders. I’m not sure if the unions could have saved some of the jobs or not. There is a correlation between the drop in union membership and loss of benefits and wage stagnation.

It is amazing how people survive doing gigs. I don’t know how they do it. Talk about financial insecurity - you don’t what, if anything you’ll be paid that week. How the hell are you supposed to budget? I’d be in the nuthouse after the 1st month. Many Americans suffer from financial insecurity- they don’t have a consistent paycheck.

CS60 Level 7 Sep 23, 2019

Been there, got laid off at 54 and thought about getting one of those gigs but I was lucky to find another good job in a different type of industry, still completely lined up with my line of work. I had to compromise though, moving out of town weekdays.

How is the gig economy and upward mobility mutually exclusive? I’m benefiting greatly from both sides of the gig economy and have never been more upwardly mobile.

I'm an adjunct professor. I understand. People around me seem to understand too.

My more open professors that had yet to secure tenure, would criticize the university system that had them working all year and having to re-apply every year for the same courses they have taught or even originated, for years on end, and never knowing if they would be accepted to the job/position. I had profs in summer/night courses that were working at other universities for fall and winter semesters during the day and would have multiple positions, sometimes at multiple universities, during the summer/night. It made me wonder why anyone my age would ever pursue the university professor route in such a precarious market! Kudos to you for sticking it out.

@demifeministgal It's not like I have a choice.

@Stephanie99 well yea... we are of different generations.... and I assume you have been in the profession for a long time and are not just entering the profession 😕

@demifeministgal I took 20 years out while raising children and suffering from an undiagnosed chronic illness. I'm all better now, but it's hard to recover that time lost in the workplace.

The "gig economy" is in for a rude shock if Sanders bill gets passed as it will allow gig workers like those working for Uber and Lyft to unionize and reclassify them to end the exploitation they are now facing on a daily basis.... If his version of the green new deal gets passed they estimate as many as 20 million new good paying jobs for the next 10 years at least....

@Doraz They would no linger be classed as "independent contractors" which is how those companies presently work. This would leave those corporations vulnerable to regulations regarding employment law and workers safety. Also since the employees would be able to unionise without the employer able to retaliate that will level the playing field for your brother and everyone like them. FYI all the other DNC presidential candidates art this point consider this to be "extreme" meanwhile Uber and Lyft are donating to their campaigns...

@Doraz No problem. The real issue is that the DNC and corporate owned media is trying to suppress information and instead paint Biden as the leader in faked polls as well as Harris and Warren as "progressives" which they have never been. Harris plays the "poor girl growing up card" yet her parents were actually academics in the UC system which her father as a full professor made excellent money. She has been a crook since she started in politics and as AG several of her donors were White collar criminal defense firms, AT7T, Time Warner, Comcast, Disney, and Wells Fargo which explains why she failed to act against her donors to protect her constituents... Warren likes to play progressive as well but is backtracking on every issue most notably Medicare for All and the Green New Deal. Now she says everything should be left in the hands of the people fucking things up and just put a few regulations on them... Same for Wall Street where Bernie wants to break up the big banks she wants to just "regulate them more closely..."

@Doraz Be sure to pass the truth along this is how it gets out. Anyone who wants to know who a political really works for try open secrets....
[opensecrets.org]

[opensecrets.org]

[opensecrets.org]

I have to go back to work after 7 years retirement to be able to afford my own apartment. Can't live on Social Security.

@sassygirl3869 Sorry to hear that.

@Stephanie99 at least I'll have a fun job selling candy as a sales rep again!

I will never understand that mentality. I can take care of me, all i need is for him to take care of him. Sure in a committed relationship you help each other and strive toward the same goal, but pull your weight. Nothing wrong with gigs. Especially if you've figured out a way to make it stable for you. i've known many people who've made it work. They have some real hustle.

I think that may be a generational thing that is slowly shifting, especially in the non-religious communities.... boomers and Gen X'ers women would have been raised by older generations to follow gender norms/roles and part of that is the man being the bread winner. Also, as a POC he may face more obstacles in the dating realm thanks to unconscious biases and racism in the dating market... it is statistically proven and research verified... so if he tries to date outside of his race it may be more difficult for him.

@demifeministgal

What does POC stand for? Person of color?

@LiterateHiker yes. It is an American acronym... in Canada we would say visible minorities or racialized person... but the american vernacular has become popularized here too XD

I tried the online dating scene though it was never me, I like face to face, chance,... I agree with Julio, all these women independent or partneship want to spend my money not theirs. And, the comment that really gets me is when they say, "if you're not paying for me then you're not a "real man" ." I was wondering what a real man is today... then what is a real woman?

atouk Level 5 Sep 23, 2019

If we take their line of thinking to its conclusion, it seems like it is a woman who exchanges her time (dating) and/or sex to have money spent on her. How bloody sad.... a romanticized hooker of sorts. :/

@atouk Interesting, I will take turns paying if the guy will let me. I have many that insist on paying.

@Stephanie99 I think part of what I have been encountering as of the past couple of years is the area I live in since I did not have these issues in Los Angeles and Chicago, professional, competition, ...

I've been working remotely on and off for over 10yrs and love it. Occasionally someone asks me what I do and I tell them. They almost always reply "Oh, so you're not working". Working remotely or in companies that sub-contract (like Uber) takes a lot more self-control and responsibility than working in traditional jobs because you make your own hours (usually). If I don't make my 20-30 hours a week it's on ME.

I guess it depends on how you define "gig economy". It isn't 100% exploitive things like driving for Uber 80 hours a week and still having trouble clearing minimum wage and making your car payments. I've been an independent consultant doing software development for over 30 years and it has been a very good and stable income and satisfying work. I've always been fortunate to be able to support my family single-handed, although I haven't always had to. We are debt-free and able to help others.

So I don't see anything inherently wrong or stigmatic about "working for the gig economy". I will say that you have to work very hard not to get taken advantage of -- more so in some industries than in others. Even in software development, it's easy to get involved in "death march" projects and it's not uncommon to be hired into some troubled project to take the fall for someone else. I've had a lot of experience detecting and avoiding such situations, is all. Ageism is a problem too, although I haven't personally experienced it (yet). And discrimination against women is rampant in my industry. Nothing's without its problems in life though. Working for The Man has its problems too.

My 2nd wife was at first not psychologically comfortable with me not having a traditional job / salary / retirement package and so forth. As the years wore on and we enjoyed reliable income and she saw many friends in traditional jobs lose their livelihoods, she came to see that employers are no longer loyal and committed to their employees anyway. Whether you're a W2 or 1099 worker is almost beside the point. Even people who pursue traditional employment are somewhat nomadic anymore; millennials change jobs every year or three and consider it lame not to -- they are always looking to leverage their way into a better job (or should I say, "gig"?). And they're smart enough to consider job satisfaction and pressure and meaningfulness and not just raw dollars.

Not all experiences with on-line dating are negative. I met my better half on the Yahoo singles site 13 years ago and we are still going strong. Oh, there have been a few bumps in the road, but overall, we respect, love and care for each other.

Women have progressed, but their expectations of men have not. They still expect us to be provider and protector.

Correction- Julio is 50 years old.

Are you pimping for Julio now?

@RiverRick

What on Earth do you mean? I'm not a pimp.

@LiterateHiker Yes... You ARE pimping him. Posting his stories and pictures.... Seriously? If you date only one at a time... You still leave your profile up to answer questions?

@RiverRick

Stop being so critical. I changed his name.

Stigma of the gig economy is an important question of today. Millions of people are struggling with it.

Posting his photo humanizes the story. People can see this is a real person, a good person.

I am not on Agnostic.com for dating. There are no fit men near my age who are hikers. Instead, I enjoy the intelligent, kind and thoughtful and funny members.

On Fitness Singles, I got messages from Julio and Dave, the man I'm dating.

@LiterateHiker Does he know you posted all this about him? Did you ask him? For some reason I find your copy and pasting from a dating site onto here a little creepy. Especially since you are dating someone else.

@LiterateHiker And... I never knew this was a "stigma"... I know a lot of contract players and they don't have the same issues. Sounds like his divorce help to wipe him out and they call that... life.

@RiverRick

Of course I asked his permission in advance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:405872
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.