Agnostic.com

2 0

Boy Scouts

Would you let your son join the Boy Scouts knowing that they are a religious organization?
What if his best friends were joining & that’s why he wanted to do it?

Shanoose 3 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Shop around, I was a scout leader for years and we just ignored the antigay and religious stuff

I hope they can do this.

Hmm. I know that the Mormons were in control and gave it up after some upheaval. I don't know enough about who runs it now, but religion, as far as I know (my one son tried for a year) never seemed to be a factor. My experience was quite a while ago. But, to your question - I did let my son try, and at the time we were Unitarians, far from christians. I, though, was an active parent and went to all the stuff. At the time I found them somewhat over the top on faux patriotism.

My friends are questioning themselves on what to tell their son when he comes home from meetings. They don’t want him being “indoctrinated”, yet don’t want to talk too much about their Atheism so that he doesn’t repeat things at the meetings. They think it will devastate him if he gets kicked out, and thus doesn’t understand why he can’t be with his friends.

The Mormons never ran the scouts in the USA they had a working relationship with the scouts allowing them to use LDS facilities and in return the LDS Young men's and Young women's organisation had access to scout camps etc.
When the Scouts conformed to the Law of the USA and refused to ban gays scouts and scout leaders the Mormons withdrew from the agreement on grounds that they wanted the religious freedom to hate and persecute gay people .

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.