Agnostic.com

21 19

Online dating, now the most common way for couples to meet, is desegregating America

"Online dating is often treated as a wacky new trend. But it’s one of the biggest social transformations in human history.

"In my research, I’ve found that present-day partners who first connected online are more likely to be interracial and of different ethnicities than those who met other ways (30 percent versus 23 percent). They are also more likely to be from different religions (51 percent versus 38 percent), both in how they were raised and in which religion they practice as adults. Couples who met online are also more likely to have one college graduate and one nongraduate (30 percent versus 22 percent), bridging the biggest educational and social class divide in America today.

"Black-white couples, perhaps the most heavily discouraged type of couple diversity in American history, are more likely to occur from online dating than offline (8 percent versus 3 percent).

"Most dramatically, online dating is acting as a desegregating force in the U.S. and creating families that blur social boundaries, which can lead to those boundaries becoming less meaningful over time.

"Expect more public attention to how the most popular sites and apps operate, how their algorithms and interfaces sort users, and what data they keep, share and sell. Expect “panics” about online dating, particularly from parts of society that stand to lose if their young people marry outside their group."

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that's wonderful!
We are ALL humans. Everything else is noise.

Exactly

Half-Irish and English, I married a Latino man. We met through the YMCA. As YMCA program directors, Terry worked in Wenatchee and I worked in Seattle.

"You are from different socioeconomic classes, different cultures and different parts of the country," my mother cautioned us. "You will have to deal with this every day of your life."

We laughed, protesting, "love conquers all." She was right.

Terry's mother rejected me, calling me disparagingly "the Anglo." "You are not family," she said.

Our daughter, Claire, is half Spanish. At 28, Claire married Matt, 35, with Scandinavian heritage at Lake Chelan in Sept. 2018.

Good to hear.

Pretty interesting. Thank you.

Interesting...

Good article, it could cause some big changes for insular communities.

i had an uncle in northern Indiana- out of work machinist, smoked, obese, lived in a mobile home in the middle no where. met a woman similiar to himself, on compu-serve (yes that long ago) from rural Kentucky- she moved to Indiana, and they lived many happy years together before he died of a stroke a couple of years ago

@MarkiusMahamius
What is Compu-Serve?

@Annabelle95991 it was one of the first network sites, do you know what a BBS is?

@MarkiusMahamius
Computer Bulletin Board system
A while back.

@Annabelle95991 computer serve was a bbs kinda like AOL, before the internet was easy to use. You could use your phone modem to "talk' to other people, there were dedicated
Chat "rooms" for different topics

@MarkiusMahamius
I remember AOL chat rooms but not on the phone until later. I used to AOL chat all night if I found an interesting chatter.

Hooray! I'm part of a social movement!

The only online dating site that I like was bumble all other sites tinder POF all was a bunch of garbage. You're better off just going out there with some flowers and free hugs you will find someone that want to be with you.

Yes i can definitly see that trend,with what people reveal about them selves as long as they are telling the truth and put up a recent picture make both parties much more comfortable with each other on the initial meet up to see if there is a spark to go any further

So good to hear ! It's way overdue.

I've always been a proponent of inter-racial dating, even before the Internet.

This does not surprise me.
On dating sites I always looked for different Ethinicities first. Plenty of white, wasp, Catholic women where I am. And they either smoke, are obese, not interesting, redneck or think that they are religious.

And the coup de grace: their expectations are sky high, while their tastes are way down looooow. (WAIT!! Are we talking dating sites or ex wives? )

twill Level 7 Oct 6, 2019

our society about "ideals" and "the one" encourages people to dream big. most people make lists of what they wish they were like, not what they really like or want

@LetzGetReal agree, but thats not what people do when they write a short profile blurb, and lots of incorrect snap judgments get made

There's hope; only a million, "No thanks, " before that one, "yes."

Online dating is the worst thing I ever did to myself. I wish I had never written my first "profile," and I'll never write another.
I'm glad it's having such a wonderful effect on "society," however, whatever that means. I only wish it had a similar effect on me personally. It was nothing but a nightmare.

I met my significant other online.

Actually, black women and Asian men are the most discouraged combo

domos Level 7 Oct 7, 2019

I admit to being a tad confused here in that online dating is hardly so new as to be regarded by anyone as a "wacky new trend". I suspect it's been THE driving force in meeting significant others for at least 15 years now.

I would also imagine that fundamentalist parents have warned their children away from online dating for at least 20 of those 15 years. 😉

Even my secular friends warned me that meeting my now-wife in-person for the first time after a period of conducting a long-distance relationship, might result in me being made into a lampshade, which is at least not a totally imaginary concern about the online dating process.

That said, I think the author is right that online dating and social media tends to break down traditional barriers, and that this is mostly good.

....a welcome development. To make decisions free of
tyranny using our intellect and human judgement.
Thanks For The Post

I can see this as we tend to live in a self segregating society. Online we break barriers we do not challenge in person

Use an accurate, recent photo. Trust me, you will hear nothing.

Everyone is looking for "Studly" or "Super Fox"

Almost everyone falls outside of this group of quarterbacks and head cheerleaders.

@moosepucky

Don't be ridiculous.

i know quite a few people who have happy long term relationships and are unattractive. more than the attractive people i know

@LiterateHiker: @LetzGetReal:

Why do I have such a hard time projecting humor.....

90% of what I say is tongue in cheek, if not that, then, out and out slapstick.

@LetzGetReal

Thanks. 😀

@LiterateHiker I am more often found on technical forums, not social where RTFM is more common than a smillie 🤐

@moosepucky

What does RTFM stand for?

@LiterateHiker Read The $%&#!% Manual 🤔

@LiterateHiker
RYFM was used back in the day. We use RYFB (read the fkn book)

Could it be that a significant percent of white people take on airs and privilege to the point where only the stupidly desperate of their race would consider them? Then, after divorcing the lying, grasping, manipulative fool, try someone from another race. Find that the new partner doesn't lay in the bed like a dead fish, but actually participates? And even better, isn't psychotically bipolar?

It's really just another consequence of the same Disney Princess pathology that degrades our culture.

you seem like a really good example of someone who really benefits from getting away from your heritage and pre conceived notions. good for you if youve moved beyond your past with the aid of social networks.

This was an odd comment. Not sure what you are saying.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:410940
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.