Agnostic.com

30 3

Have you ever met a "flat earther"?

Unbelievable!! I have actually met one finally, and found that they were so ignorant, and had no sources for their information that it was almost impossible to argue the truth. It is a really sad time for intelligence, and I hope we can all play our part to inspire the youth to care about their education.

JustinWaldrop 3 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, but they're around! Ba dum tss

I seriously thought the whole flat earth society was a sarcastic joke until recently. Never met one personally. Not sure I'd be able to keep a straight face if I did.

Same here. Then I brought it up at work....Boy was I surprised.

@Reignmond Where do you work? Just wondering...

@Reignmond that's a scary thought!

@pnullifidian
In a County office in Georgia.

@Reignmond Oh ... you have my sympathies.

I lump them together with the chemtrail and anti-vaccine people in the circle of pseudoscientific horseshit that should've never gotten off the ground.

Having spent a good portion of my career in space operations, I have no time for their nonsense. That they are stupid enough to admit of their folly is further evidence that the Dunning Kruger effect is prevalent in many regions of the country!

Ever notice how a flat Earth’er isn't a pilot or a ship captain? They understand that, even though Tokyo, for example, is due west of San Francisco, the most direct route requires that you fly or sail using great circle navigation. Your initial course is northwesterly, toward Alaska’s Aleutian Islands. This only goes to show anyone who is willing to learn that the shortest distance between two points on a sphere cannot be a straight line.
[gcmap.com]

Yes. He was 4 years old. Cute kid.

I know a bunch and work with a few. They do have "sources", but what they believe is pure idiocy.They have a high tendency to be Christian and Conspiracy Nutjobs.

Wait, it isn’t flat? ?

Wow even in today's world.that's just crazy

No, but I know a guy who's worried about chemtrails

There is a good chance he is a Flat Earther.

Never met one, cloest were,

1. A 7th Day adventist telling me Noahs flood came about because previously there was a band of water around the earth that God caused to collapse, and that throughout history slavery is a good thing, especially for the slaves.
  2. and a Jo ho, or maybe another Adventist, who argued that God hinmself wrote the bible, I even had him thumbing through his notes to find the passage that said so. He also told me that the roman empire was conquered by the USA.

Well having the U.S. defeat the Roman Empire gets rid of a good chunk of pointless history... lol! I know the history channel is sort of crap but come on thats not even trying. 🙂

I simply cannot wrap my head around the notion that anyone would seriously believe that. And if they do, we would have absolutely nothing to say to each other.

Yes. My hairdresser is convinced. I tried to ask her many questions that would make her stop, think, and realize that she was being irrational, but she insisted. I don't like wasting my time arguing with people anymore. Shes young, hopefully she will come to her senses. The poor thing was going to make her child do a science project on the subject. PLease no, girlfriend. Dont bring the child into your mania.

I think that's what bothers me the most. A kid is highly influenced by their parents, and then they are gonna push their terrible information on to the youth. Ugh...

I wonder if a study/survey has been done to measure the percentage of flat earthers who are X-tian, or other faith-based religion? My guess is it would be close to 100%! That's not to say there aren't intelligent religious people. I know plenty, but I think they may be predisposed to believe in this type of horse shit.

No...and it’s probably a good thing I haven’t cause I wouldn’t be able to keep myself from laughing. Lmfao!

No flat earthers but knew a lady who thought there was a second sun in our solar system that moved so that it was always on the opposite side of the sun to us but would take over when our sun wore out. That has to rate.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

That's just sad.

Hilda could make a truly magnificent cheesecake in her defence.

Only online. I won't argue with them. I'm glad they think the Earth is flat. ?

One of my old mates. He believed in anything alternative to science we where literally polar opposites.

tongue planted firmly in cheek....

No but I would love to.

I meet a girl once, who wore a I love nerds shirt , who pointed out at the ocean and asked if that's where it drops off. Was a bit shocked, but followed her on Facebook for entertainment value.

Only online. I've never met one in person, or at least one that would fess up not being anonymous.

lucky you lol

I have, and she is also completely obsessed with every conspiracy theory in the book. I try not to judge her for it, I just internally roll my eyes and move on. It's definitely not worth the energy with these types of people.

I met one in an online forum. It was incredibly frustrating to try and converse with this person because there were no reasonble standards of evidence we could agree upon. Everything was a conspiracy or secret collusion to hide the truth to this guy. Very disappointing.

I sometimes wish guys like him could just be launched into orbit. Too bad he couldn't have been sitting in the passenger seat of Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster, next to 'Starman!' I wonder how far out into space he would need to go in order to be convinced?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41153
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.