Agnostic.com

22 4

Do you fear clowns?

Where did this fear come from? I grew up with Bozo the clown back in the late 60s and 70s. I never heard anyone claim they were afraid of clowns, but all of a sudden in the 90s people started saying clowns scare them. It feels like people thought it was cool to be afraid of clowns. Now I could be wrong, but I'm curious what you guys think.

paul1967 8 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not afraid of clowns. I just think they're creepy AF.
I grew up with Emmett Kelly Jr, and Bozo, too. Bozo was more fun than any of them.
I think the concept of the "sad clown" (Kelly) started ruining the fun a long time ago.
John Wayne Gacy first gave us the "killer clown", and it became clear they could be
malevolent.
Then, when Stephen King wrote "It", that was the actual start of people really being
afraid of clowns.
I think the makeup doesn't help either.

Not being able to read facial expressions is what causes the fear. You have no clue what they're actually thinking - think "micro expressions".

I worry about the folk who DO like clowns. What's wrong with them? lol

I think Clowns are great! They are funny, colorful, playful, amusing, adorable, dramatic, daring and great mimes, too! I once did a painting of a clown standing in front of a three way mirror. To some it might of been scary but to me it represents the many different facets of a clown.

That sounds like a fascinating painting. I would love to see it if you're willing to share it

Very interesting and inspiring to try I may add.

A very healthy Clown perspective , Id like to meet you 🙂 I can be funny like clown !

Generally no, unless one would offer me a red balloon, in which case I might go ballistic.

Bozo died yesterday. I’m ok with them on tv but in person they are very scary and I really don’t understand the fascination with evil clowns shudder

I didn't know that. I remember watching Bozo as a child. I remember not being afraid of Bozo butt feeling like there was something off about him.

I’m not afraid of clowns, but I don’t like them either. I find them somewhat creepy.

yes, exactly: creepy.

Clowns are cool

Only if they get some of that horrible make-up on my clothes.

I'm unafraid of clowns, but I do remember my first encounter with a clown when I was little, and I just didn't "get it." I was rather put off by the clown, but not scared. I couldn't figure out what the purpose of this oddly dressed person was or why I was being encouraged to interact with them.

The only clowns I truly fear are the ones who think they know in a dogmatic way.

I would had it all in this life if I didn't lacked fear. I meant I lack nothing I want. Fear is nothing I need.

Jeez, clowns have scared the caca doo doo out of me since I was a kid. I haven't forgotten when John Wayne Gacy was caught. And Bozo, he seemed like a demon to me when I was little.

Not in the slightest

John Wayne Gacy

clowns are creepy. it started with me getting freaked out by a mechanical monkey in a department store, who was clapping a pair of cymbals together. i was about 4 years old. a few years later i immersed myself in the moomin's adventures, which led to a weird recurring dream, in which a moomin would poke his head above the panoramic backdrop & very slowly start to smile at me in a way that didn't quite convince - it was more scary than anything else. clowns sometimes give a similarly non-friendly impression when they laugh.

Nah. I have no memory of ever fearing clowns. Just don'tlike the gawdy shoes they wear. Lol

My sister has been a white face clown for 35 years

No but I think they are awfully boring!

I was raised by a below mid-class family and never had any fucked up experience with clowns as a kid, so, nah.

No.

Only clowns with a big knife or ar AR15...

Tomas Level 7 Mar 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.