Agnostic.com

23 3

LINK William Barr: Our Less Christian Society Is To Blame For Mental Illness And Drug Abuse

The violence and destruction of entire societies due to religious belief seems to be forgotten. Slavery has been religiously justified for centuries. Religion is a choice, yes. I'm not sure if his complaint is due to the ensuing downfall of white rule or if he's truly morally despondent. What say you? Agree or disagree?

IAJO163 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

RELIGION PRISON POP. GENERAL POP.
Protestant 28.7% 44.0%
Catholic 24.0. 25.1
Muslim 8.4 0.6
Native 3.1 0.1
Pagan 2.0. 0.1
Jewish 1.7 1.2
Churches of Christ 1.5 0.8
Buddhist 1.0 0.5
Jehovah’s Witness 0.7 0.8
Seventh Day Adventist 0.3 0.4
Mormon 0.3 1.4
Eastern Orthodox 0.2 0.4
Apostolic 0.2 0.4
Hindu 0.1 0.3
Atheist 0.1 0.7
Pentecostal 0.1 2.4
Sikh <0.1 <0.1
To answer your question

The Christains are far ahead as criminals

Is this based on the US population?

Because those who are Islamic what you call Muslim are only not even 1% of the population yet makeup over 20% of our prison population!

[barenakedislam.com]

Saw your stats in your article stating for US Muslims at 9%. Trump must really hate them and treat them like the new Blacks.

What surprise me was Muslims in France at at 70%. Muslims in Canada are like amish you don't notice them or in any crime.

Barrf is a lying scumbag who only knows how to suck the orange turd's dick!

According to the Pope, Trump is not a Christian.

He sucks the big fat Satan's Dong. GGGUURRR. GRU

@Castlepaloma nobody really gives a fuck if he is or isn't a christian hypocrite, the orange turd is a threat to our country, our democracy and our constitution!

We maybe stuck with this orange turd, because no President has been impeached before.

He may start a war so big to keep in power as marshal law. Then finally the economy totally collasps. Then we are force to rebuild because most people are afraid to confront the Feds and banker source of the snake is my greatest concern.

@Castlepaloma what do you care? you live in Canada!

I lived in three American cities and made most of my money there. When America collasps, then next Japan, then US will take Canada shortly after. Plan B is Colombia, like where the Nazi's ran to for a safe haven.. I am a lover, not a fighter, not into the gun disease.

Oh please. Barr is not anyone I'm going to take seriously about anything.

Ummm, no, that would be corruption and ass-kissing......

Tubby Barr is an expert and eager user of both..

In answer to your questions:

Humbly, IMO, it is not the downfall of white rule which is the cause for his statements. I doubt he can see, or even envision, that from his perch.

I also don't believe he is morally despondent either.

I believe; The church he worships is falling under the weight of child molesting and nun rape scandels. The man he daily protects is a shitbag. The future of the world for his lineage, seems bleak to him.

He sees failure in the future. He verbally lashes out. In doing so he blames non-theists and progressives.

I say, he says what he says, because he is afraid.

It reminds me of Pope Benedict calling Hitler an atheist. Hitler membership was born and died a Catholic. Russians, 15 million died in that war.

By far Christains are world champions criminals in war and on the streets.

Stanlin actucally killed over 60 million with over 10 million in the Ukraine!

Hitter in his eastern front killed over 25 million Ploes and Russians!

The Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, and political adversaries accounted for over 11 million more!

Most if not all those killed were Christian's of some sort and Jews!

Hitler aim was to stomp out Atheist, yes I heard numbers between 15 to 25 million Russians.

More Christains killed than Jews killed, but you will never hear the end of it from Jews.

He doesn't read his own DoJ statistics, does he? Violent crime is down, in this era of increased secularism... maybe people these days feel it's not excusable to commit incest or rape or murder because there are so many example in the Bible?

Someone oughta explain to him how the Christians successful efforts at criminilizing certain drug sales and ostracizing certain drug consumption rather than allowing legal sales and use created an environment where dangerous criminals now thrive and make more money than the majority of US companies simply through selling certain drugs to our children.

Explain to him that if christian's instead accepted drug consumption as normal and acceptable and if we had spent the now trillion dollars of tax payer money wasted on the "war on drugs" towards creating and providing a legal and medical framework for safe use and recovery....perhaps we wouldn't be in our current mess?

Please. Someone?

War on anything or prohibition never works., it's all a lowering of ones energy and a distraction for powers to be , to walk away with the money and power.

Portugal has taken a novel approach to treating drug addiction. As a result, they have one of tne lowest drug addoction rates in Western Europe.
[apa.org]
[npr.org]

Russ, that is a great example. Portugal allowing all kinds of drug use and showing good results overall.

Dr Oz showed all legal marijunna states had 25% reducing of opioid addictions. This is a major drug and cause of deaths. Fentanyl is mixed with cocaine, heroin and other drugs that the user is not unaware of. Marijauna is more of an gate exist herb.

Yes I have heard the same argument put much better from Jordan Peterson. The thing is if they were correct then we would see a correlation between counties with high or low beliefs and crime rates in those countries. A brief look will show that its not the case. In fact many high crime rates come from very religious places. Ethiopia and Rwanda are both nearly top of both tables. Okay that might be due to poverty but the USA has an atheist % of just 4.6% but has one of the highest prison populations in the western world.

Bullshit from a lie bastard

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 12, 2019

Statistics show that Christians commit more crimes than atheists according to the FBI looking at the demographics Of prison populations going back 50 years. And clearly, Atheists are underrepresented in prison populations for many obvious factors. Why?

Because Atheists have higher IQs, are better educated, have less divorces, less mental illness, less incidences of schizophrenia and psychosis..And have more of an awareness of "cause-and-effect" and learning from experience than the religious. The religious have false memories of imaginary gods embedded in their memories And subconscious and believe that imaginary gods will take care of them and solve their problems.

Atheists think and don't rely on supernatural reasons for problems and most often look for cause-and-effect and scientific reasons to solve problems.

Religion is just a belief in magic, and magic doesn't exist. So when someone tries to solve problems based on magic, meaning a "magical God," it most often fails.

And after experiencing a number of failures in the inability to do "reality testing" the religious individual often blames demons, Satan, evil people themselves.

When presenting problems to the religious community and especially preachers, they are told that "religious magic" will help them ...meaning "they should price some more and more fervently worship Imaginary Jesus & god.

However, when the religious believer continues to Experience continued failures it leads to all kinds of psychological and emotional conflicts which makes the individual unstable, neurotic and insecure. And if a religious person Already has a tendency toward psychosis or schizophrenia, these continued failures and confusion can often lead to a mental illness.

It appears from my knowledge of Christianity having been a Christian that Christians commit more crimes simply because they believe on both a conscious and subconscious level that they are "forgiven in advance" because imaginary Jesus committed suicide just for them.

When a person believes they are "forgiven in advance," theIr behavioral controls, boundaries & awareness of "cause-and-effect" are diminished, and if such a person prone it's already lacking these controls they can & will commit more crimes than atheists...

There are many advantages intellectually, behaviorally and socially for being an atheist and they should be promoted and expanded especially on the Internet and social media platforms.

Among the atheists that I know, they live very successful, happy lives, & they have children who are well taken of & lC
& lack any kind of rebellion, shame, or lack of self-confidence because they "don't love Jesus enough" etc.

By default, many Atheist children are taught to understand that the world is real and that within religion, there are many sins that are just "thought crimes" and of no consequence except to the religious who seek to live in a world of religious fantasies and imaginary gods.

Yeah like just look at the documentary, Pulp Fiction. Those guys were massive Catholics. They preyed over the dead bodies of their victims.

Yes. We need more witch burnings and inquisitions.

And reading that my mind shot me a picture of Mel Brooks dressed up as Tokamada from history of the world.

@oldFloyd Does it look good on you?

He is simply pushing his beliefs and idiotic religion on others. That he is our AG should worry a lot of us, because of the power he has right now.

He's not as funny as cousin Roseanne, he really need to work on his standup

Bartl is full of it, up to his eyeballs.

Yep, just another authoritarian religious asshole who wants to force his beliefs on the entire Country.

@Redheadedgammy

Yes, when you got 95% Judeo/Christains stacking the deck, then the only real God is called Government.

Obstructionist republicans pushing their insane agenda against the people of this country wholesale!

The wealthy and their corporations are pushing this insane agenda to enslave us!!!

US reminds me of USSR when I toured in 1973. They had to know everything about my money, knew what town I visit and even examinated my underwear.

Religion hasn't improved Bill Barr's behavior or thought processes in terms of judging and reacting to our President's and his direct boss's lawless behavior. Barr's ability to ignore and worse to defend Trump's lawlessness requires such severe rationalizing as to be considered a mental illness (imo, at least) - to the point of violating his own oath of office.

As for Trump and his connection to religion, and the religious right who still support a lawless Trump, I can't help but believe that religion hasn't blinded these faithful followers to the con Trump is perpetrating on them.

Head Mental Illness person is that Trump bloke who is dangerously psychotic and proclaims he’s a Christian!

Something wrong with this story as they say.

I’m sure John Nash and Alan Turing would be deemed mentally ill with their OCD presenting symptoms but they were both geniuses.

Mental illness in relation to ‘god’ tells its own story, surely!

Perhaps that was a component of his genius. Thin line as they say

All the drug addicts and mentally ill believe in gods

Apparently they need the help. I couldn't go to rehab because they taught you to kick with religion so I kicked on my own and learned a greater lesson. It's been 5 years and I haven't fallen off the wagon.

There is a negative correlation between belief and rates of drug use, and many youth are turning away from religion making the nation overall less religious. There have been studies that concluded that non believers are much more likely to use substances.

[jstor.org]

The paradox of this research, and my major critisizim of William Barr's statement is that there is a strong religious presence in the US prison system, such that only a very small percentage of criminals are atheist or agnostic.

There are only a few ways to reconcile these inconsistencies:

The data on prisoners may be inconsistent, perhaps because prisons tend to convert more people or because criminals tend to lie.

The data on drug use rates is inconsistent, because for example Christians may be more willing to lie about past or present drug use due to social concerns.

The correlation non - believers and drug use is coincidental, and other underlying factors have a larger effect that leads to arrests, resulting in the lower rates of non - religious persons in prisons. This tends to be my personal opinion on the matter, because people who have had more schooling tend to be wealthier and less religious, and because they have more disposable income they can afford to spend money on their addiction with minimized risk of committing a high profile crime that would result in an arrest.

I did a search for information, but could find no studies or reports linking mental illness with lack of belief whatsoever, most likely indicating he just made it up to create a scapegoat out of atheists and agnostics, a common manipulation technique that can be effectively countered by stating that prison statistic, followed by a barrage of questions like "How do you explain that?" or "Why aren't there more atheists in prisons then?" or if you are feeling frisky "You haven't any evidence, and I haven't got any time".

Your first 3 days upon entering a prison is deciding on a faction. You join one or suffer. They are forms of protection. An atheist has to be an extremely strong individual to survive there which is why there are so few.

@IAJO163 If non religious people were so much worse than religious people, they ought to have factions of their own. Any way you split it, something doesn't add up.

YEAH exactly what I expect...to say god told us how to live!
Science is alive and can direct us without BIAS!!!!
If god was omnipotent why does he need this guy as an advocate(or salesman).To go to ancient text to legitimize
a moral stance is removing any benifit that morality contains. Science breaks barriers and unites humanity~
simply motivated by improving humanities lot in life.To
care about science is to care about improving the potential
of society.Religions goal is to promote a belief,blindly follow
a set of outdate doctrines(which are proven wrong and faulty).
This guy would have been ridiculed in JF.KENNEDY'S
time becouse he is first an evangelical _then a government
appointee. Thier power is wanning & he is wiening.He sees my future through the lens of his loss of power and prestige,not what would benifit
all americans.

So moronic!!

It's amazing to me who is getting appointed into government offices these days. I disagree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:413188
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.