Agnostic.com

34 7

Do you as an atheist feel more intelligent than believers?

Now it has been proven.Yes you are.Some 63 psychological research reports were conducted and they concluded religious believes had a lower IQ Their report was published in the May 18, 2017 Newsweek.

iQ

Marine 8 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Inasmuch as I don't believe in things that don't exist, sure do.

I think logical might be a more accurate word. JAMES

Leon Level 5 Mar 22, 2018

This I suppose reallyens “less stupid”. James

I don't want to be smug atheist guy. Just like I have friends that are not smug Christian, Muslim or Jewish.
Being smug isn't pleasant or nice.

I don't myself necessarily more intelligent than believers, maybe just more informed and less easily influenced.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

I used to, but I've talked to too many atheists to feel that way at this point.

Sometimes I do . I think it's just common sense and they don't have that or they just don't have an open mind maybe ? I am really not comfortable being around believers simply because we think so different.

ly

Probably not.

Yes all the time! But in reality we're probably more open minded and ask more questions and don't believe anything we hear.

Do you mean everything we hear. I believe some stuff but not everything I hear.

Yes, lol.

Yes, definitely!

If you imply seeing facts rather than myths and "faith" -- yes. This further implies that the aethiest can discern facts from myth, apply critical thnking skills, research a question and examine multiple facets of the issue, -- all hallmarks of advanced reasoning skills.

I try not to verbalize feelings that are negative. I know who I am and don't denigrate or belittle others because they may not be as educated.

Indeed, why should you ? James

It would depend on the individual believer. I've met a few who were idiots, but I've met others who were extremely intelligent and for whom I have a great deal of respect.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

Sometimes I do. But then I have to get over my cognitive dissonance when some believers have accomplished so many creative and useful things that I could never have done. I genuinely admire certain believers for their contributions to art, science and technology.

Not necessarily more intelligent, but definitely more volitional amd intellectually independent.

I beleive many are rather intellegent, it's just that they choose to be stupid or ignorant and therefore don't seek knowledge in the same way.

While this doesn't surprise me, and I do think there's some truth in it, I personally see the science of IQ and IQ tests as wishy-washy. My cousin is a psychologist, and she agrees. It's rooted in some truth, but it fails to address other factors that could be affecting the results. For example, autistic people can score low on an IQ test, but that's because of their condition affecting their ability to fill out the test, not their actual intelligence. There are also extreme cases, like savant syndrome, where someone could have absolutely no common sense or be severely handicapped in one area, but be a complete genius in others. Almost all cases of savant syndrome have some form of brain damage along with it (source; the book "We Are Our Brains" by Dutch physician Dick Swaab). Think of it like the blind people who have an incredibly acute sense of hearing. So while I do think there could be truth in that claim, I'm just far too agnostic to accept it as fact just yet, especially with IQ being so wishy-washy. I personally think intelligence is far too fluid and our knowledge on neuroscience and psychology is far too little for it to be accurately measured with a test like that, but only time will tell.

As in all things dealing with human traits, every person is different. There is a spectrum to be considered, not a black and white distinction.

That said, there is some truth in the generalization, just as there is in the generalization that conservatives are more prone to believe conspiracy theories, respond to fear inducing ideas, and be more religious, but it must be remembered that these are generalizations.

It’s been my “observation” that those who “think” they’re better than others tend to be somewhat overconfident people that nobody wants to hang around. There’s intelligence, and “emotional intelligence,” and without emotional intelligence—intelligence is just a number to some person who’s difficult to be around.

I think that they’re probably better read, and rely more on data rather than feelings, but they get stuck in ideologies too. It’s a human thing, and nobody’s immune to it. I think the trick is, introspection, challenging our beliefs, even our “data-based” beliefs, and paying attention when those who love us tell us that we’re not as great as we think we are. We’re human after all, and that’s the same for everybody. IQ is merely one aspect of that humanness.

Not necessarily intelligent, but definitely more able to grasp reality.

More logical. James

I feel that I have the same intelligent capacity that I have always had and half of my 78 years were spent in the Christian religions. I do see that I may have become wiser, because I have paid attention and applied myself to books and other study! I can see where I would have a restricted view point, if I had kept myself bound inside a religion! They just keep studying the same old things (over and over) that starts out in their scriptures! They memorize certain scripure verses to use to defend themselves with! They stress the parts that scare the hell out a person, instead of what it takes to improve your character by word and deed! People seem so conflicted between good and evil, they can't live a fully human life!

Please tell me that a research report was not really necessary to arrive at this conclusion? JAMES

Leon Level 5 Mar 23, 2018

I don’t feel I am moe intelligent, just a lot more open-minded.

Of course our group is smarter than their group. Always. We researched it 63 times it always came out the same. WE ARE THE SMARTEST!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41504
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.