Agnostic.com

120 39

Are You Lonely?

Being single can make me feel lonely, especially during holidays weekends. On July 4 and Memorial Day, I smell tantalizing barbecue grilling in neighbors' backyards. But I feel embarrassed to invite myself over to a friend’s family event.

All of my women friends are married. I have great female hiking partners (all married). We hike together one or two days per week. On weekends they are busy with their husbands.

The gym used to be a social place. But now everyone except me wears headphones. Headphones are a giant “Buzz Off- Leave Me Alone” sign. No more fun conversations with other athletes.

Meet Up disbanded in Wenatchee due to lack of participation. I didn’t go because their activities were too sedentary: playing Bingo and Bunco, pizza with wine/beer, and watching local (boring) baseball and hockey games. The Wenatchee Hiking Meetup doesn’t allow anyone above the age of 35. I could hike circles around those young whippersnappers!

As a Democrat, it helps to join marches and demonstrations. It’s wonderful to be surrounded by like-minded people. But that’s just one day. Volunteering as a college mentor helps me connect with people. The students I mentor win scholarships and go to college. That’s the point.

It’s lonely being a Democrat and atheist in a rural, Republican-dominated, largely married, church-going town. I grew up in Michigan in a family of highly intelligent musicians and artists. At age 21, I moved to Washington State to climb mountains, and stayed.

With a 146 IQ, I have felt different from other people, like I don’t fit in. Sometime I think I don’t belong on this planet.

"My intensity is too much for some people," my daughter Claire, 28, said. Ditto. But we both enjoy our intensity, heightened senses, high energy, intelligence, searching minds, sensuality and humor. This makes us who we are, and immeasurably enriches our lives.

As an extrovert, I love conversation and connecting with people. But I need alone time for reading, meditation, running and weightlifting. Although I enjoy being alone, I miss having a loving relationship.

I miss physical intimacy with a man. I don't mean just sex. I miss cuddling, foreplay, tender touch, romance, laughter and conversations. Without that, casual sex makes me feel sad.

According to psychologists, there are six types of loneliness:

1. Interpersonal loneliness: This is the result of lacking or losing a significant, or intimate, relationship.

2. Social loneliness: This is where a person is on the fringes of a group, excluded from a group, or is actively rejected.

3. Cultural loneliness: This is where a person belongs to a different culture and feels that they don’t fit, or belong, in the new culture.

4. Intellectual loneliness: This is where a person feels intellectually, or educationally, out of synch with their peers, their family or their social group.

5. Psychological loneliness: This is where a person has experienced a trauma that separates them out from others around them. That is, it’s something other people can’t fully understand.

6. Existential or cosmic loneliness: This is an isolating loneliness experienced by a person who is facing death.

For me, 1, 2 and 4 would apply, especially #4.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

120 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to enjoy solitude. That is not to say I don't feel lonely sometimes, but fortunately not terribly often.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

Same here. Sometimes I really do think the preasure to fit in causes this loneliness when someone doesn't quite. I think I get more annoyed by many people than feel lonely to be honest.

I like to enjoy solitude too. There are times when I would like to communicate with people who are on a similar wavelength. Overall, I would consider myself a dry lonely person. I have a wonderful husband and two loving dogs, but I have not succeeded in the friend department. I am friendly and can talk about anything, yet nothing friends don’t stick around- I am mainly talking about female friends. I would very much like to have female friends to talk to.

@AmyLF I remember my ex introduced me to all his friends at once. It was major anxiety! But I sat listened to all of them. Then his friend spoke up and said, “you’ve been here an hour and haven’t said anything”. But I felt like I was part of the conversation and was engaging. I just did it without talking. Shrugs I enjoy listening.

I love having company and I can talk just anything. I also know how to be alone.

Ditto.

I will also admit sometimes I feel lonely as well. Funny thing is the only one item that applies is #1. Everything else I have plenty of but sometimes familarity breeds boredom. It would be nice to have more variety and an occasional someone else to spend time and commune with. I like to drive and wouldn't even mind an occasional road trip. Odd, I sometimes feel lonely but also need alone time to feel free! A real conundrum.

After I broke up with my second, long term partner I was glad to be alone and found a great social group. We were all single and did things from hiking, potlucks, movies and travel so I didn't feel lonely. Another person came along and she was nice but I could see the relationship becoming boring in the long run. The next one was totally unsuitable as an intimate friend but, after over 20 years (she is now married) we are still friends. She lives in another city but I commute to visit. My big problem is that my last long-term relationship was so great I have gotten spoiled and miss a certain intimacy I haven't gotten in my local, albeit active, community.

"Odd, I sometimes feel lonely, but also need alone time to feel free! A real conundrum." Thank you, Jack. I appreciate your insight and wisdom.

Maybe its time to expand your boundaries?

@sassygirl3869 My boundaries are expanded to a certain point that is reasonable (drive-able). Living on an island shouldn't mean living in a box. There are lots of great places even within a 300 mile radius.

It would be interesting if you turned this into a poll. With the six categories as choices. Easier to differentiate the choices, from the comments.

1 and 2 here. I am putting myself out there and have made friends here on Agnostic and even visited a fellow member.

Good for you, sassy girl!

I relate to the difficulty of connecting with others when you're single. I've had periods like that, experiencing what I call the "fifth wheel effect". It doesn't help to intellectually understand why it happens. It still sucks how people run in mindless packs based on commitments around things like marital or social status.

Oddly I had a male friend where I used to live, and he and his wife sort of adopted me as an unofficial family member after my prior wife's death, sometimes even going to the movies with me, and it seemed the most natural thing in the world. However, what he saw as the things we had in common, apparently was mostly living in the same community. Once I moved away, he was only minimally interested in keeping in touch or visting even though I would look him up when I was in the 'hood (happened once a year due to business obligations). Or maybe there was subconscious pity for my unchosen singleness; my moving away was coincident with being in a new relationship.

This year I did not look him up and he did not inquire about it. I let it die a natural death. I have learned to do that when there's not reciprocity and balance and loyalty in a relationship.

Lith-Ike, Can't help you with 1 or 2.

But, I know this website is great for 4.

I've made quite a few friends in less than three months. I wish I knew what the average IQ was here, because everyone here is so thoughtful and and a terrific communicator.

I read recently, on here I think, that intelligence is more intimidating to men than anything else. I don't have that problem and I don't think anyone else here does.

It might be time to move somewhere where you've like minded people. You don't sound happy where you are.

I am not lonley. I'm also not a 146 IQ. I'm equally not an idiot. I am giving volunteer English classes to immigrants at the local community centre. It's really rewarding.

morlll Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

Good for you, morlll! Thank you for volunteering. Being a college mentor is the most rewarding volunteer work I have ever done. I help minority, low income students write essays for college and scholarship applications. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

But move where? I can't stand Seattle's traffic congestion, endless cold, gray, dripping skies, and the unwelcoming reserve of longtime Seattleites, widely known as the "Seattle Freeze." While attending graduate school at the University of Washington, I lived and worked in Seattle for eight years.

Western Washington hiking trails are extremely overcrowded. What's the point of killing yourself to hike to a high peak or ridge, when you can't see squat in the fog, mist and clouds?

You need stimulating people and can always take trips back to nature. We live in Montreal and my back yard is still full of snow. It's a great city but cold. How about San Diego. Tuscon is nice too. The Austin bomber is done so Austin is supposed to be a liberal haven.

Hiking is my passion. In 2017, I hiked 326 miles with over 62,000' elevation gain (and loss). The women's hiking groups boiled down to three strong hikers: Karen, Gro and me. Hiking is an uplifting, transcendent experience for me. I love living close to the spectacular Cascade Mountains! My daughter lives in the Seattle area. It's sunny in Wenatchee. Blue skies and gorgeous mountain vistas. I could never live where it's flat.

I have intellectual loneliness.

@NaderAliAmer Yes.

I'm lonely only because too many women have high standard.

Chap, you know one thing women tend to like is confidence? If you put yourself down like that people will think you're needy and fishing for compliments. I've seen your photo and you're a perfectly good looking man; keep looking and you'll find someone who's right for you. 🙂

The most difficult thing is not growing old alone, It is growing old with people who make you feel alone..

@TweedleDee I agree

@LiterateHiker -- Well, my friend, I can tell you right now that IQ has little or nothing to do with your dilemma. I have been alone a great deal. I have been lonely on extremely rare occasions and for very short periods.

I suggest you take your mind off of how intelligent you are and begin to focus on what psychological factors figure into your personal problem, then set about doing what can be done to eliminate or ameliorate them.

Your list of 1 through 6 could be reduced to the condition we call loneliness resulting from any one or combination of situations to which the individual is subjected. The end result is the same, but the problem is internal.

By the way, you can't stand in a rainbow.

Evidentialist, There is no reason to be mean.

Most of the women in Wenatchee are less educated than me. I hope I don't sound like a snob, but they lack depth in their conversation. I have zero interest in shows like The Bachelor, Pinterest and other things they talk about. I love witty banter and deep conversations about social issues, politics, news and personal growth.

In Wenatchee, I made friends with people who, like me, moved here from another state.

"By the way, you can't stand in a rainbow," you wrote.

I have met two other hikers who stood in a rainbow high in the mountains during a rainstorm. People don't believe them, either. Men lecture me on refracted light and insist it is impossible. Here's what happened:

At age 23 I was backpacking on Mt. Shuksan near Mt. Baker. We camped above the tree line at around 7,000' elevation. That evening we saw the sunset behind Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

The next day a massive storm blew in. Hail piled up like snowdrifts, washing ptarmigan birds downhill. ("PEEP! Peep... peep... pe...." ) Lightning struck around us. ("Here, you hold my ice axe." ) Pouring rain soaked us to the skin. The sun shone in a nearby valley.

And we stood in a rainbow. We could see the rainbow colors on each other's faces. I stuck out my arms and marveled at the colors on my arms. It only lasted a minute or two. We were not high. My hiking partner was a medical doctor.

Afterwards the sun steamed our backs as we slogged our way to the car.

This was a PEAK EXPERIENCE of my life.

I have to agree with @LiterateHiker on this one. I have been lonely in relationships with quite intelligent women. But it is so hard when your partner cannot hold your interest on many subjects. Best relationship I ever had was with a lady who had an IQ of 138 much below that and it just doesn't do it for me. Also the ladies do not feel secure when there is a big gap, even this lady was uncomfortable despite being the smartest woman I knew at the time.I would love to be with a woman who could hold her own on most topics.

@Rugglesby, Thank you for your kind reply. I find men with a college degree are better read and more interesting, with a broader understanding of literature, arts, cultures and the world. Kindness and respect are important, too.

@LiterateHiker -- First, I fail to see where I have been mean. If I have been, it was certainly unintentional. Sometimes, making observations can seem a bit rough, but an observation is all it is. I suspect you are referring to the comment in which I said you should forget about how intelligent you think you are. There was no other intent in that you should forget it.

About rainbows:

@Rugglesby I can relate to this. I was in a couple of relationships with people who were plenty intelligent in some ways, but lacking book/world smarts and emotional intelligence. It is hard to not be able to have those kinds of conversations.

Everyone is lonely to some extent -- even those that are married often have a hard time sharing their deepest, fears and desires. This forum is a godsend to many of us - there are others like "me" out there - and I don't feel quite as lonely knowing that.

pops410, Thank your for your insightful reply. Well said. Appreciate you.

It is said somewhere ,you can be in the middle of a group of people and still be lonely ,

The loneliest time in my life was during my marriage. Its about expectations. I've not been lonely since I separated my life from his....

I suffer from one, two, four, and six.

Gohan Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

All 6 apply in far too many ways. This site does help w/ #4 & #2 to a certain extent, but it is still, by its nature, impersonal. Some of it is my fault, I isolate, outcome of chronic pain & chronic depression. But the emptiness seems blacker & deeper all the time & can be nigh near suffocating. I've lived with the depression since I can remember, & the pain for over a decade. I am the major caregiver for my 88 yo Mother, so that keeps me anchored, but that is one of the only things. I enjoy learning, experiencing & satisfying my curiosity, but that seldom balances the blackness. When my Mom goes, that may be the last anchor. Time will tell.

Wanting to share one's life is a delicate thing, I think. While I tremendously enjoy being out in nature, recreating in one form, or another (I actually crave it), I also desire the closeness and intimacy of a mutually respectful, loving relationship. The one relationship (a marriage) I've had that got anywhere close to including both of those desired circumstances ended with infidelity on her part. So, that was something of a disappointment. It has made me somewhat doubtful as to the prospects of that ever happening.

So, I experience a kind of loneliness of not being able to share and mutually enjoy my outdoor experiences greatly. With a number of relatively long term relationships behind me, that one ideal coupling has never been fully realized for me. I enjoy hiking, but mountainbiking is my "raison d'etre." I feel at this time that I, literally, cannot live without it. It has been the one constant in my life for some 26 years, during which I have, at times, very deeply immersed myself.

In terms of the enumerated stages above, I guess #'s 1 and 6 might apply, even though l do not feel that my demise is imminent. I do, however, remind myself almost daily that this day, indeed, this very moment, could be my last.

Hiking is a transcendent, uplifting experience for me. It engages all of my senses. Most importantly, it calms my busy mind. I feel most centered and grounded in the mountains.

When sunlight filters through the trees the way it does with lace curtains, I feel an enveloping happiness to be alive. This is the core of being human. My joy is made stronger by the certainty that someday it will all come to an end. It’s a rare gift to understand that your life is wonderous, and that it won’t last forever.

@LiterateHiker, that's pretty much how I feel about mountainbiking, it is challenging, and puts me out where the wild things are. I'm a very considerate biker and always yield to the other trail users when required. I've seen some really cool things (puma, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, rattlesnakes, deer, etc.), and been in some beautiful locations, as well as dangerous situations while biking. I truly believe it has saved my life. So I think I get how you feel about hiking. I do a little bit up behind where I live. The area is the Cleveland National Forest in Riverside and Orange counties in CA. I hike back in for an hour, or so when I need to clear my head sometimes.

Some one and some four, but I tolerate it pretty well. I see it, acknowledge it, and get distracted by more interesting thoughts. (did I mention I spend all day on some stupid website?) 🙂

skado Level 9 Mar 22, 2018

@VictoriaNotes .. I don’t believe I know, and I don’t believe it can be known. 😉

I can honestly say, none of the above.
There are friends I miss seeing regularly, but that's only because we don't live near one another.
I don't feel lonely, and being alone is not a problem.

Am I lonely = Yes. I wuld really like to have that special lady in my life, but I do not think that will happen. I spend a lot of time alone, but also enough time with other people with whom I am generally on friendly terms. No intellectual stimulation. I have given up seeking intellectual stimulation, intelligence can be a curse, I will just say I am being lazy and maybe my IQ has dropped a little in the past 10 years. Not enough to make a big difference I am down 18 points due to aging, but still have noone to hold a decent discussion with on topics that interest me.
I stay very busy, finding shells on the beach gardening, playing with my animals is just as good for me as redesigning the local energy systems and networks, which is what I have in front of me at the moment. I have female company for bushwalks, conferences, coffee dates, I even have better than ocassional sex, not regular, but I am not climbing the walls = YET!.
None of this means I am not lonely, just not alone. I am just accepting that with turning 60 in a couple of minths, it is too late and I am too fussy, as are my potential mates.
BTW Love your Paul Simon take.

Thank you, Rugglesby! I appreciate your compliment. It was fun to write, using the same meter (a musical term) and rhythm as "50 Ways to Lose Your Lover" song by Paul Simon.

Hi I do what you do ,,I am 62and hating it ,getting old on your own sucs ,,I didn't think I was fussie ,but I guess I am ,or no one wants me lol,been on dating sites,met a few ,but no go ,so it's just me and me dog ,,lonely hell yes ,I think we all need a mate ,,

@rugglesby, @literatehiker, et al., How does everybody know their IQ scores so readily?

BlueWave, when my younger, 15 year-old brother was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, all four kids were given IQ tests by the psychologist who diagnosed him. At age 19, my IQ was 146. Over the years, I have retaken the test and it's still 146. Even online IQ tests give the same result.

@BlueWave Re I.Q., I was tested in numerous jobs I held. All sorts of tests, I really don't put much stock in any of them. Even IQ tests have a massive cultural bias and also biased toward mathematical and analytical skills. Scary thing is my IQ has dropped significantly over the past 20 years, so regardless of the tests shortfalls, my mind is losing it. I have gone from 156 down to 138. Maybe worse by now, have not had a test for a about 15 years.

I didn't think I was lonely, until I read your preamble. I think I'm so used to 1. It's not a big deal, I've chosen it over being unhappy in a relationship. Time will tell if that will change.
3. I do get homesick for Australia, but when I'm there I miss friends in England; so can never, 'have it all'.
4. I miss my more intelligent and in synch friends, but this site is good. There are many people and comments that I can relate to and I'm learning, which I love.
5. Yes, I've suffered trauma, but I don't necesarily feel alone in that and am somewhat reconciled with it. But it does confuse people when they realise that I don't have a lucrative income as I'm not great with stress.
6. I know I'll die, I need to update my will again. Have a nice cardboard casket picked out with a floral print and a plot in some woodlands, so that's pretty much sorted. I miss my dead friends. A bizarre existance, but a beautiful one much of the time.
I hope you find some volunteer work or a better place to be where you won't feel as lonely Literate Hiker.

girlwithsmiles, Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Love how you wrote:

"I do get homesick for Australia, but when I'm there I miss friends in England; so can never, 'have it all'.

For years while visiting family in Michigan, I was constantly scanning the horizon for my beloved mountains. Felt like I didn't have a home.

In 2015, I spent a wonderful week with a childhood friend in Traverse City, Michigan. In early May, deciduous trees were filled with exquisite, tiny, light green, new leaves. Running up white sand dunes on Lake Michigan, walking through glorious Michigan woods: I felt deeply at home.

Returning to Washington State, I realized I have two homes: Michigan and Washington State. That brought me inner peace.

My parents died when I was a teen. This affected me psychologically and I had great feelings of not being a part of something even though I come from a large family. I struck out on my own and tried to find where I belong. It was very difficult but I believe I have come into my own person which is probably why this group is attractive. Then I found after I got therapy that I grew up with ADHD and depression and such. That couldn't have helped either.

Sometimes your intelligence prevents you from "playing the game". It does me, anyway. I have the ability to attract a woman but when it gets down to silly sophomoric protocol I just find it demeaning. I want to say just what I feel, the attraction, the real feelings and also the apprehension. I feel all should be up front, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I want them to be where I'm at. My feeling cannot be hurt.

Good point, clarkatticus. Agreed.

Yeah, but am trying real hard to give myself space and keep out of any type of commitment until I get my mind right.

I have many reasons for feeling alone. But I don't.

I used to, before I acknowledged my male side in 2014, named him, and allowed him to "exist." I felt alone and lost all my life, although I was raised in a loving family, surrounded by siblings and friends. I also felt that way when married, with two children. But after I allowed myself to love my male side and accepted it, the loneliness was eased.

I do have many reasons for feeling alone, however:

1.high IQ. I don't think like most people I know.

2.I'm multicultural/multilingual. I grew up in Haiti with American parents and a French/African culture with European friends, and friends from the Domican Republic, across the border from Haiti. So I grew up speaking French, Creole, Spanish, and English.

3.I'm part Native American, and share many of their attitudes and beliefs, almost instinctlively. As a "two spirit," I would have been trained as a shaman in my Cherokee tribe.

4.I'm demisexual, panromantic, androgynous, nonbinary, and partially transmale. That means that I don't strongly identify with either gender, but see myself more as a blend. Also, I'm not sexually attracted to anyone of any gender, until after over a year together.

5.I'm over 65 years old.

6.I have strong psychic powers. I have to block myself from the thoughts and feelings of others but there is always some "leakage."
That's why I like being in Thailand..all those peaceful feelings of being one with the universe sooth me.

I’m not sure if I’m lonely or I just enjoy being alone. I’m an introvert and being around people is exhausting for me. But I have major depression and worry I take it too far and am actually isolating.

Besides my parents I don’t have a lot of people in my life. I quit drinking and as a result, I’ve lost friends. It’s a fine line that I’m traveling on and probably needs further looking into.

I am. I completely understand, being a gay Humanist raising children alone in the deep south.... It is grating. I also live in a military town, so the idea of making friends doesn't even cross my mind anymore.... Everyone leaves. And yes, they all are married and I can't relate. I'm single. I'll be 29 in a few months and it's starting to dawn on me that this meat suit I walk around in isn't ever going to get better looking.... I'm an inch away from having sex with the next girl who touches my arm but I guess I'd have to go to some club to find that and I hate clubs. We need a humanist meet and greet bookshop for goodness' sake! I fill my intellectual loneliness on the internet with like minded people. The rest, I fill the void with Netflix, photography, wine, and sleep. Sleep is the only place I'm not ridiculously lonely.

MagicAndRainbow, you have my sympathy. Appreciate your wry humor and honesty.

My older sister lives in Georgia. Driving in Georgia, I made fun of misspelled signs until Lynne told me to shut up.

Perhaps you could go to art shows. That's a low-pressure way to meet interesting people. When gay artists show their work, attend opening night. Meet the artist and their supporters. Good luck.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41530
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.