Agnostic.com

21 4

Does meaning matter

Whether life can be said to have some sort of meaning (whether by some god or by choice of the individual) does that actually matter in the grand scheme of simply living your life and trying to get the most out of it.

Tupacem 4 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Noted on this forum previously, I go with Camus, who (accordingly) stated, "The meaning of life is whatever I am doing at the moment that keeps me from killing myself."

Not supper up-beat, but pretty accurate.

Bertrand Russell's wife once said to him: "What's the matter Berty?" He replied: "Never mind, it's the mind that matters."

I heard that someone said that using your mind to understand your mind is like a chief inspector of police who is looking for an arsonist and the arsonist is the chief inspector of police.

To the extent that thoughts prevent you from enjoying your life will the search for meaning be meaningful? Not to be able to sit in a garden or by a river with a fishing rod and quitely contemplate the moment without identifying every flower or plant in your vicinity by reciting it's Latin name is without a doubt, a sad state of affairs.

I live my life trying o get the most out of it. After three close calls I live each day to the fullest.

"What do you want meaning for? Life is desire, not meaning." Charlie Chaplin.

There is no inherent meaning in life, except that which we give to it by our decisions and actions.

I think we each have and determine our own meaning(s), and that they might extend or incorporate family, friends and other people.
But overall, I don't think there's more than that.
My life, for instance, is ultimately unimportant.
Oddly, I find comfort in that thought.

You and those around you are what gives your life meaning. It is that simple.

If it matters to you, at the moment, only THEN does it matter, and in the next breath or moment, it may matter not ! We each find ourself to be the center of our own universe and from that point we see the world and its people swirling around us, each with their own agenda. if from THAT point you can conclude that it matters, cool !!!!

There is no extrinsic, bestowed meaning. There's plenty of intrinsic meaning to be found; although, rigid thinking and clinging to attachments can easily undermine that.

Absolutely with you on this one Life is for Living and dwe are allowed to make our own decisions about what meaning it holds for us.

I believe life has meaning simply by it existing and for us to be in the thick of it.

Meaning has been a struggle lately. On one side, I really want there to be more inherent meaning in life that I just have to find...but looking for it makes me anxious and unhappy. I try to ask myself what is important to me on each day and let that be my meaning. I live each day into my answers til the doors unlock.

I don't think meaning is important.

"Meaning" is highly subjective. As it should be. It is whatever you think it is.

One person's meaning may not be someone else's meaning. That's okay.

No - doesnt bother me - apart from sore hips I can do most things that give me pleasure and i am only a four minute walk from the sea yo!

With happiness (for me,) everything is meaningful because it is part of the univese. With depression and sadness (for me) very little is meaningful.

We give our own lives PURPOSE. Living a good life is intrinsically meaningful.

I always thought that life was for fun & learning

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41556
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.