Agnostic.com

57 5

Are Atheists racist

I ask because a couple who live in my building are rabid racists and told me so.But then they heard me tell aJehovahs Witness no thanks I am an Atheist they said "hey so are we".How do the two go together..Atheism and racism?

Gatman11 4 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I don't see what I'm about to say as actually playing out and being true...I might be inclined to argue that based on many of the underlying tenets of racism, such as superiority by breeding or overall IQ of a race, it'd be sure as hell easier to argue racism from an evolutionary standpoint than from that of a bible that implies all were created in the image of Gawd.

Really though... I think the two concepts (atheism and racism) are not mutually exclusive for one to hold. If they had branded themselves "secular humanists," then there would be a mismatch on the order of a christian going to fight the war on terrorism. But.... atheist v racist...I don't immediately see a conflict.

"it'd be sure as hell easier to argue racism from an evolutionary standpoint "

Maybe. You have to cherry pick your facts and ignore a lot of history to argue inherent superiority of any skin colour.
It's fun when white supremacists brag about how superior whites are and you tell them Africans and Asians created civilizations, empires really, while Europeans were still living in mud-huts.
I have yet to hear a racist argument that doesn't have an easy counter.

Creationists I've talked to believe in micro evolutions like intelligence; so if you could measure who has the highest IQ it wouldn't be much of leap for them to jump on the discrimination train.

Sounds like your neighbors are just twats

Let me understand this . So u are black , u live in a building , and your white neighbors told u " we are racists ".
Ok . Writing about if they are also atheist , it should be the least of your concerns .
Tell me more about your Abercrombie T shirt on your picture . I find this way more interesting 🙃

The two do not go together but not believing in gods does not guarantee that you cannot be a racist. "Atheist" simply means "without god." That's all it is in basic.

Of course..and homophobes,transphobes,bigots, rightwing,Nazis,white supremacists..we are all susceptible to these conditions.

Not this one.

No particular idea is, by default, connected to any other idea: Lots of examples on this site of those who claim no-belief and are yet as stupid as a sack of hammers.

They don't. You can be a non-stamp-collector and be an asshole at the same time, with no correlation between the two.

They don't, nor are they mutually exclusive.

There's the good and the bad everywhere. So, if that couple are racist, they are just one more from that lot, despite being atheist or not.

Anyone, of any race, religion, or belief system can be racist., even if they are in denial about it.

I'm an atheist, and not racist. The two are not joined at the hip.

Racism doesn’t pick and choose no matter the religious belief system or the lack of.

That is similar to saying " do Atheists wear shoes"?

Barefoot Atheist here....Birkenstock Atheist here
....cowboy boots Atheist here ....beach flips Atheist here....bedroom slippers Atheist here.....socks, compression hose and footsies Atheist here ....red man Cherokee moccasins and Dutch wooden clogs wearing Atheist here

'Are atheists racist?'

No.

One has nothing to do with the other..... You're welcome

In my experience, the atheists are much less likely than religionists to be racists.

I was raised in a church (the Mormons) which was very racist. They would not allow people with dark skin to hold the priesthood, because, according to their teachings, it was sin that caused their ancestors' skin to turn dark. In about 1978, the Moron "prophet" had a "revelation" that all races would be able to hold the priesthood, but as far as I know, the teaching about the cause of skin color is still one of their racist teachings.

Because one irrational belief has little to do with any other belief, Rational or not.

Some are... Not all...

It’s people, not atheism or non-atheism

Religious belief, or lack of it, does not require that one be a racist, or not be a racist.

Your question is like asking, "Are rich people racists?"

Aren't they people? There are racist people in all groups.

Not necessarily. I find that the devout can be racist. The Book of Mormon says that the skin of a man who is to be saved is white.

Our Atheism is simple freedom FROM religion not defined by xians as denying their geebush jeehobah ghostholes.....most racists are afraid of different skin colors... not all racists are white KKKristians.....racism is ignorant stupid fear and bigotry ASSUMING their skin color is better than all other colors when in fact they are inferior and wrong about humanity....the only color that matters is blood red in our veins

Our Atheism is personal and local while racism flourishes when people of good will say nothing to confront the racists.....people ASSUME I am white when in fact I am a red man Cherokee Atheist.... and xians all over USA ASSUME everyone is xian especially after Nov 1st leading up to Turkey Day & xmas

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.