Agnostic.com

47 5

In love, how much does money matter?

When it comes to looking for that significant other...
how important is money?

In other words, how much they make and whether they have a stable source of income.

Extra credit:
Do you think men and women have different standards for this?

• 23 votes
  • 37 votes
  • 24 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a fact that one of the biggest problems in relationships that cause divorce is mismanagement of money by one or the other,spending habits etc.In my marriage (30 years)we have separate savings accounts, investments,and separate credit cards . We never have disagreements,but this is only possible in certain situations

It is mildy inportant as they need money to live in this world

Lack of money to maintain a decent life can play a big role in hurting a relationship. For greedy people and for those who so misguided that they want to live a lifestyle of "conspicuous consumption" it matters too damned much.

If love comes with a price tag is that love?

@silvereyes I suppose to many it obviously does.

My take? Love doesn't make you blind. It makes you stupid. But I could be talking more about lust than love. LOL Just my opinion, never married but did have 2 long term relationships but money was the issue. I made it he spent it in one and he made it and did not like to share in the other.

The key word for me is Love... not money. Funny... many here believe... you can't live without money... well we know we can live without love... so...

Economic independence is important up to a point. Financial reliance/support of another is probably the biggest commitment and display of trust one can make.

Marz Level 7 Nov 21, 2017

Wow. I wasn't expecting those results. You people are sick. Lol

And yes, from my relatively limited experience dating while adulting, it seems to me that ladies are more concerned with income. I can't back it up with anything quantifiable though. Just have faith its truth. : )

I'm in the middle of Mild to Very Important. What I think is important is that the couple have somewhat similar economic background and prospects. And to be honest I'd really be just talking about my own preferences and comfort zone. Many people make it work, but I don't envy the struggles they go through. From my experience having an upper middle class life, being with someone who's come from wealth has it's own challenges like having to spend more to keep up and being with someone who's family is going through money troubles can present issues as well like having to financially support them on an ongoing basis.

Stable income, financial responsibility. These might come in handy if you like to have nice things like a nice car, bigger apartment, higher education, vacations etc. Or simply to never have a situation where one might be evicted from one's apartment, or have to constantly borrow rent money from friends. These are things that could put a strain on love. BUT, if love gets the couple through that, then that's AWESOME.

I do think in many societies, even here in the US, there are much higher expectations on men to have a stable income and provide.

$$ does not buy happiness, it solves problems.

i vote for mildly importat because we need money for living not for loving

Earn money to live your life , earn more money so you and your love ones could live the life you want. Sharing what you have to a love ones is not an issue it is how would You share and how long can you share if you have no earning. What would you be? or where would your love ones be.?

terz Level 1 Nov 18, 2017

clunky, too simplistic poll (as most are), because it doesn't measure differing factors about how and why money would be considered important. At least there's this comment invitation.
I marked "very," however, because as a therapist I've seen countless clients talk about relationship problems, and incompatible views and priorities and behaviors surrounding money really do seem to be one of the very biggest factors in relationship misery. To me, having adequate money resources, however you define that, is somewhat important but everyone should already have considered their personal priorities in this regard BEFORE throwing in their lot with their chosen partner. But attitude and responsibility about spending and money management priorities is crucial. No matter the overall level of income someone has, you can usually live way beyond your means if not careful. That's a recipe for future misery and couple conflict.

The more money matters, the more trouble I'm in.

Money is important for providing stability in a relationship. It reduces stress for both partners as it is not something they need to consider heavily.
Personally I plan to make enough money to take care of my future family and partner however I also want to save up enough for some retirement projects. It would help if my future girlfriend/wife worked however I don't really mind as long as she is a good person. It's very difficult for me to find a girlfriend because I am quite an intimidating person. I'm not aggressive in any way however people feel less confident when they're around me because I have lived a much more outgoing life and have many more exciting memories than them.

I generally think men and women will have different standards for this (however there will always be exceptions to every rule). Most men are the main earner for the family and this is normal, most women will usually stay at home and care for children. At least that's what used to happen.

Nowadays it doesn't really matter about gender since there is a big move for women to work the same higher earning jobs as men. However this also means there are less jobs for men. Since women dominate the middle to lower earning jobs. This means more men will generally be unemployed and the system will flip. with many women being the primary earners. If you think I'm wrong then look at all the STEM benefits for women competing to get jobs vs men. There are women who are employed not only based on their credentials which will usually be the same as the average man. But they are also employed because of gender quotas

This doesn't pertain to the question, just a long term assessment.

As you age, you realize material things aren't important. Family, friends, health, well being and happiness are much more important. As a child, we had few 'things'. We were relegated to intertaining ourselves. I wouldn't change a thing. Children of the 50'S were much happier than todays.
Money does not and never will bring happiness!

Extra credit?! Hahaha.
Yeah, I suspect men and women do have different standards, generally speaking. I'm not sure how prevalent traditional roles are with younger people, but I suspect those traditions still persist.

Females mate across and up a dominance hierarchy, that is why we look down on weak men and why middle aged women can't find husbands after 35 as they are hard wired to look for someone better or equal to themselves and after around that age the highest achieving men have all been taken. In effect this means there will be hyper successful women who are single and very unsuccessful men who will be single too. Id be amazed if anyone has an anecdote to disprove this.

Just a comment, not an opinion. I remember reading a study years ago where men and women were asked to describe someone of the opposite sex that they had just met. The men tended to describe physical traits such as hair color, figure, attractiveness. Women, on the other hand, described what they were wearing, what they were driving, material indications of wealth. Perhaps our caveman provider syndrome is permanently inscribed in our genes.

Money is an emotional concept. Yes, given that many men and women have different priorities, belief systems, and experiences in relation to money, their standards could differ.

A financially unstable life is stressful. Stability provides a better environment for the relationship to flourish. I am not looking for a woman that is very financially secure but she needs to be financially responsible. My oldest daughter's mother was in college. I was happy to handle the financial burden . She was working for the future and never misused money. Her personality (lack of) was our problem, not money. If a woman does something satisfying but not lucrative I would be happy with that. If she works some crappy dead end job she hates with no plan for improvement, she is probably not someone intellectually stimulating. I know life can knock you down unexpectedly, I have been knocked off a pedestal before, that is why I said gotta have a plan at least. Getting knocked down isn't the same as staying there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.