Agnostic.com

25 2

I have the perception that religious people are coming to be part of nonreligious group to invade and contrast opinions? Are having the same feeling about this?

In other groups, people wanna to be part as a way to contrast opinions and try to wash peo0le mind as a way to put us back to where they think is the right place to believe in their religion. I just see more a more religious being part of groups of atheists, non believers, etc.

Danielvalderrama 4 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be polite to the seekers, block the trolls.

Sure, now everyone wants to be nobody with no arguments.

I am not seeing that much here at all. But I may be missing it, or not paying attention to it. I like this site very much.

Well, I'm not a frequently user here, but as you I like this. I will try to keep more post, and involve in conversations. As a FB user, is where I found discussion from religious trying to counteract. This week in a meeting about vaccines, some people argue based on religion and not from science facts, but some kids, wanna to ask to the expository, and the mother just replies saying "they only tell lies, science tell lies!"

I don't either, I think it has a lot to do with how your settings are framed.

@Danielvalderrama Facebook is a whole different thing. I do not engage on Facebook about religion if I can help it.

They're on a mission from god! 🙄

There are are few theists (some at high levels) on these pages that occasionally slime these pages with faith (belief without evidence) over facts nonsense. After burning many hours trying to demonstrate how wrong their assertions are, I have found it best to just avoid their posts. In face to face discussions I can usually bring a theist to admit they are wrong - - or in some (thankfully rare) occasions cry, cower like a beaten dog or assume the fetal position. But for some on these pages, reason has limited effective value - not worth your time. The majority of minds on these pages are good.

@Sealybobo I hear that argument a lot. My response is to laugh out loud and begin by demonstrating their demonstrably wrong assertion that "I am so angry" appears to be little more then their own psychological projection as my life is, for the most, part filled with happiness and free of unfounded anger. Then I continue with, because I care about truth over fiction and have witnessed many undesirable outcomes perpetuated by faith (belief without evidence) (religion) belief, I encourage people to seek truth over fiction to guide their life choices. If they ask for an example, I could type a few pages of direct nastiness as an outcome of religion. The example that usually silences them is, "I once knew a lovely (inside and out) young woman who greatly missed her father that died about a year before my last chat with her. One day her friends who found her body hanging with her belt told me her suicide not read "I have killed myself so I can live forever in happiness with Jesus and my dead father in heaven." - - - at the gathering, an administrator noted: "God called her to him" - - not her choice but that of god. - - - - I have many first hand examples of much unnecessary suffering as a direct result of religion.

My feeling is, they truly belive if they can just "get us to think" we will fall to our knees & sing Hosannas. Disrespectful at best, and on a par with their Tooth Fairy ideas.

Upon reading your reply the DJ in the back of my head cued up a song on the album jesus christ Superstar.😉

@oldFloyd That DJ in the back of my head is absolutely incessant. There's a little town in Oregon between Eugene and Roseburg named Saginaw, and every time I pass it, hell or high water, I've got Simon and Garfunkel's "America" in my head even though it is the wrong Saginaw.

That happens here. They are ban hammered if they get rude or over bearing. But we can handle polite debate.

After all, many of us know the bile-ble better than they do.

That's a good point. What's the reason of somebody trying to create a bad environment if they don't like, leave, but when discussion goes out hand, better a ban.

We get a believer every once in a while... If they start posting Bible verses or try to convert anyone, they get booted very quickly

They tend to believe that their way is THE way. It's extremely frustrating and I am about out of patience.

I'll mention no names but there at at least three obvious Christian apologist posting regularly on this site, posting all the old tired Apologetic's arguments and then never coming back when they are shot down.
The rise in magical thinking here too is becoming seriously irksome.

Please mention names...need to block them. I do NOT need the additional stress of happening upon one of their idiotic posts.

Rather sure I have run across the same - - I no longer waste my time on their posts.

I'm not seeing that here. Over the last nearly two years that I've been on this
site, I've seen believers come and go.
Some have been trolls, some are in earnest.
They don't usually last long, for one reason or another.
I've never seen "infiltration" as a problem here.

I've never understood why the religious would want to be part of a community like this one. I don't buy the 'I enjoy good debates' argument. From my experience the religious rarely think deeply about what and why they believe, don't relish serious questions about that, and prefer to stay in their faith comfort zone. However, I have said before that there are some believers who hang around nonbelievers because of their own doubts, and this is one to maintain a camouflage while engaging on the issues. As for others, well maybe it's that silly converting others fantasy they hang onto.

Is a boring debate, when religious wants to base fundamental from bible's passages.

They have alwasy doen this. They go out to nonreligious groups to look for converts, or more often to cause disharmony in the group so people stop going to them. They see it as "god's work".

Of course they are. That is why we have idiotic books and movies as well as trolls on a site.

If they are not proselytizing trying to convert us then they can learn but trolls are different and shouldn't be here

Trolls are everywhere. Give them a bit of response. And then "fogit abot it."

They don’t hang around long.

I on't know what u=you are trying to say. Please make your cognitive links more direct and specific so that readers can follow your words and intended logic.

I attempt to be polite with my responses unless of course other methods are necessary.

You can be agnostic and still be religious. Agnosticism doesn't define your beliefs, just your knowledge of the facts.

Of course! It's called a split personality! 😉

What?.......Run that by me again?

@PondartIncbendog One minute you're agnostic & the next minute you're religious. Crazy! 😲

@Atheist3 Whoa! That's really far out!

@Atheist3 That's called wimpy. Make a decision for goddess sake.

I've seen no evidence of that on this site. I'd welcome a pro-religious element of alternative ideas to avoid am echo chamber of like opinions.

They know we must have powerful juju and they want to partake of it!

There are trolls everywhere, and eventually they show their true colors. Many in this site who talk about spiritual crap as if it were not religious in nature.

Some are here for that. Others may be here to find out what we're about, or even because of doubts they have. But yes too many are just invading trolls.

g

I found a very religious person in atheism group, what cause a surprise, I think they wanna to learn more about this movements, as soon as I have the chance, I will ask her directly.

@Danielvalderrama it doesn't hurt to ask.

g

Yes, but you'll pick it out when they start expressing their opinions. I think they check us out to learn how what we believe and figure out a way to counter. Who knows, they might even switch sides. I did and I used to be an altar boy.

Trod Level 5 Nov 26, 2019

With all the dragonslayers and dragonslayerettes on this site, they are going to be in for one hell of a wake up call if they try it . . . .

Earlier I had spent many hours whacking nonsense but some are immune to facts, logic, and demonstrable truth.

Christians think they are "whacking nonsense", they advertise, prosthelytize, and do whatever they can to gain more adherent, after all, how can the churches survive is the parasites have no victims? But when agnostics and atheists do nothing, it does not swell our ranks much. Not only that, there is plenty of proof that the are NOT immune, their are plenty of people on this site who use to profess christianity, and just because you get in a discussion with someone and they do not concede at the time, does not mean that it has no impact. If that kind of belief were the truth (that they are immune), then you would not see advertisements anywhere, no one would waste their money on them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:421650
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.