Agnostic.com

24 5

Anyone in Australia ?

AlanWorkman 3 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@AlanWorkman

Australia is known as "the land down-under."

Is that why your photo is upside-down?

@Paul4747

Perfect! You win the prize for the best reply.

@Paul4747 Root me boot and stone them bloody crows, Cobber, that's a true blue Aussie classic there Sunshine, a bloody dyed in the wool classic that one.
( Aussie slang translations available upon request) LOL.

@Triphid I understood some of that. The words are less important than the sentiment.

Hi yes I don't know how that happened

Last time I heard there were a while lot of people in Australia. It is a well populated nation.

g

Ya beat me to the punch. I was going to reply with something similar. "Why yes there are many people in Australia. Thank you for asking."

@Heathenman i am not usually so quick on the uptake so this is gratifying. i now return you to your regularly scheduled punch!

g

According to Google there are 24.6 million people in Australia. So yes, there are folks in Australia.

nope, the country is empty 😉

lerlo Level 8 Nov 4, 2019

Only one person - you. Time to Mad Max up and head for the desert. 😁

Snit a brick there Cobber, you can't have seen my membership before then, are ya as blind as bat or thick as 2 short, fat Tasmanians....LOL.

I see the quota of clever remarks about the population of Australia has already been filled, so I will abstain for the time being.

Yes, some. Look in groups there is an aussie one you can join. I am in Canberra.

Not this gal, but I'd LIKE to be!!

I've heard of Australia if that counts for anything.

You can use the "Browse" drop down menu (on a computer) and click on "Members" and you can adjust search filters to find people on this site who live near you.

Not since July 😉 if you browse members: top right of page, I believe you can search for those near you. Happy hunting.

"Not since July" you say, there were people here long before your Captain ( actually ONLY Lieutenant) Cook happened to stumble in the joint.
You kind of went right the wrong wattle with that one lady.

@Triphid I was relating to what I thought the poster was actually asking. And I have no captain, if I did it would probably be captain sensible. I’m not landed gentry and don’t wish to be accountable for their actions.

@girlwithsmiles Either way saying " not since July" still means any Aussie members dropped out prior to July which we haven't.
And as for 'Landed Gentry,' well I sincerely doubt anyone in their right mind would really want be one of stuck-up, arrogant parasites, would they?
As to Captain Cook, he was Pom after all is said and done and the Poms are still proud of him to some extent aren't they?

@Triphid I was in Australia in July mate, I’m an Aussie!
Sure lots of people would like to be born rich and with a title, many of them not knowing how much hard work goes into running an estate properly.
No, I’m not proud of Cook, can’t speak for anyone else,as far as I’m concerned he was a pirate.

@girlwithsmiles Total agree with on Cook there, I know how hard it is to run a Sheep Station, done that plenty of times when asked to do for the Owners while they take a very well earned holiday.
And not talking about small properties either, the smallest was 93,000 Acres with 3,500 sheep and 400 head of cattle.

@Triphid cool, met a guy in the Isa once and his job was to fix fences for a property. It took him a year to do the perimeter, he had a quick break and then started all over again. Managing a decent sized property like that is pretty darn impressive!

@girlwithsmiles Yeah that would about right, last time I helped with the fencing on a friends property it took us, a group of 6 people btw, it took us a total of 10 working days, Monday through to Saturday, starting each day at 7,30am and finishing at around 4,30pm, to completely replace the fence around 1 paddock with a perimeter measuring a total of 89 kilometres plus rehanging 6 gates as we went.
We worked in 2 crews, one crew leading the way and driving the Star Pickets (fence posts) into the often hard and very rocky ground and the second crew coming about 1 kilometer behind them stringing the mesh to the pickets.
All done by hand and using a thing called a Star Picket Driver ( hand-held and operated of course), we were replacing the old style 5 strand wire fences with the new rust-proof 2 inch x 2 inch square mesh that helps keep foxes, rabbits and feral dogs at bay from the livestock.

@Triphid lols, oh yes, the star picket driver, I remember those from my days volunteering at the Woodford festival. Basically a big metal tube, sealed at one end with handles on that you whack the picket in with? Yes, the guy said it was a lonely existence but he wasn’t keen on people, so it suited him. Interesting guy.

@girlwithsmiles Yep, the Star Picket Driver, your arms ache like bitches after using one 8 hours solid, especially in the hard, rocky ground out this way, BUT it sure beats the old Sledgehammer method used before it was invented, I've got a few scars on my legs from shards of metal that have flown loose from trying to drive in a Picket with a Sledgehammer.

Yes. 24 million.

I think there is people in Australia. I understand the British invaded it years ago put all their criminals there and took and robbed the land from the Aboriginal inhabitants.

Word Level 8 Nov 3, 2019

Yes, terra nullis was a crock. The aboriginals survived the small pox, just like the indigenous Americans, but it’s not been plain sailing. Some of the crims went straight and were given land.

wasn't sydney a prison colony back in the olden days? did they move them to cockatoo island later? it's pretty nice now but kinda expensive to visit.

If not politically so, I’ve been under the impression various enlightened nations have so little respect for religion they’ve no need for ‘a place like here.’ ..if only a town like Alice. When asked about religion, they laugh ...assuming it’s a US problem.. Are not Atheists & Agnostics emerging like peach blossoms down there about now?

Varn Level 8 Nov 4, 2019

Several

Australia does not exist
[theguardian.com]

Shit on a twisted stick there me old Pommie mate, you lot sound know we exist, you lot dumped our ANCESTORS here didn't ya, or have youse conveniently managed to forget that one as well? LOL.

@Triphid That`s just what they wanted us to think.

@273kelvin I'll bet you Poms won't forget so quickly that we just kicked your arses at cricket again though.
Looks like you Poms might need to resurrect Jardine and his dirty, lowdown, underhanded Bodyline bowling trick again because WE have the Ashes again.

@Triphid Or find another Flintoff.
I don't know if you know this one but...

@273kelvin I too am no fan of Shane Warne as a person BUT he was a bloody great Spin Bowler in his time.
But I will admit I will be a great fan of the likes of Lillie, Thommo and old Iron Glove Rod Marsh.
Especially Lillie's little bit of fun that he'd have with the opening ball of most matches like sending down a full toss only instead of a ball it would be a tomato or an apple the looks on the faces of the receiving batsmen was always worth a bloody good laugh.

@Triphid What did you think of the song? It comes off one of my favorite albums

@273kelvin Not too bad , but I much prefer the good old one, " C'mon Aussie, C'mon."

@Triphid "The Duckworth Lewis method" is a concept band devoted to songs about cricket. Well worth listening to but I think the 2nd album is not as good. The 1st album was credited by the Irish team as their inspiration for their victory against England in the world cup.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Still waiting on my shill money? Anyone get theirs yet?

@PraiseJeebus ??

Maybe I don't get it but on your bio there is a nearby members.

I'm in Toowoomba. Australia's party town 🙂

I don't get how you guys can walk around upside down 🙂

gater Level 7 Nov 7, 2019

It's easy when you get the hang of it.

Not I mate
BUT you all watch out this summer and fire season OK?

Yep. About 25 million or there about's.

Yeah heaps of us at last count, residents of Australia that is.
Me, I'm way out beyond the black stump in Broken Hill, N.S.W. in case you're wondering and most probably the ONLY 'Hillite' in this Group and on this site as well.

I wish !
I’d love to visit!

I wish !

Oh don't wish Mate, we are here but you usually only hear from WHEN we feel as though we want to say something and BE HEARD, otherwise we just tend to ignore the dumbies all over the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.