Agnostic.com

62 4

Do you believe Atheism is a religion?

Fairly straightforward, but to expand on why I ask, it's this; I constantly hear theists make the claim that atheism IS a religion. I maintain that it is not. I don't believe in God. I think you are suffering from a highly specialized madness, coupled with an enormous ego (an omnipotent being is watching YOUR EVERY MOVE because you're so fucking important) and a cripplingly huge fear of death, lack of purpose, and lack of fairness, that you will convince yourself that such a ridiculous thing as a God exists and that if you perform certain rituals properly, you'll be rewarded, if you DO believe in God, and you should be carefullymonitored lest you hurt yourself or others around you. But that's the end of it. I don't have Faith and Believe that there ISN'T a god. I don't give it a second thought. So, how is that a religion?

Take it away, doubters and unbelievers! Sound off!

DobbinPitch 6 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism is not a belief that there is no god, it is a lack of belief that there is a god. Subtle huge difference.

Absolutely not, its a belief. If atheism was a religion we would have "churches" and worship something in some way. People that call it a religion have a fundamental misunderstanding of the idea of freedom.

Here is an interesting video featuring Richard Dawkins and Wendy (Wriggle) Wright

I have never in all my 70 years heard this I suspect that you ar a troll!

Sadly, this is a very common assertion made by many theists. I an an active anti-theist (one that actively educates theists on the evils of any "Faith" (belief without evidence) position). While education theist, more then half the time I hear "Well, Atheism is also a religion to."

A troll? Where have you been? This is an all too common assertion:
[answersingenesis.org]
[debunkingatheists.blogspot.com]
[reason.com]

Theists are so accustomed to the notion that worship is some sort of innate need that they easily confuse one's tribal classification with some form of piety. "Everyone worships something, even if it's only themselves" is the relevant saying. It's drivel of course, and the inability to properly frame atheism is their problem, not ours.

Atheism, Not being a generic lack of belief but a lack of belief in god claims. There could be no place for theistic religion of any kind. Were there such a thing as a non-theistic religion, A claim to which I have my doubts, one might hypothesize an atheistic religion. I don't worry about claims made about atheistic religion, I have never seen one or heard anyone defend one. Also one must consider the source of the claims that atheism is a religion. It is a very weak and strange ploy to mudsling with what the opposer would find laudable, i.e. faith or belief in something. Could a faith, religion be made of an abstract concept? I would have to say yes. Atheists I would say, are forced to the conclusion that all the gods that ever were are abstractions, concepts and this has been no limitation of the creation and following of religion. If one holds a concept that once adopted is "given no second thought", would this not be, at least minimally, a form of faith, trust, reliance in that concept? Axioms are statements that are assumed to be true a priori, We cannot and do not operate with out some minimum of these assumptions. Might they compose a creed? A statement of faith? I would have to say yes. Do they in fact? I would say that they have not, in any organized fashion. Without some level of organization I could not say that such isolated ideas in individuals could be called religion.

Again: Buddhism is religion, but ATHEIST! There are even Jewwws and Xians who are atheist!

@Ungod Your attachment to this concept is unseemly. Chant it to yourself as you dissolve.

What inHELL are you talking about?!?

I think some people approach atheism with a fervor that resembles religion but no, atheism is not a religion

We know it isn't, they don't get it or like it 🙂

It seems to me it is similar to people claiming that a scientific view of life is just as much a system of belief and faith as religion is. It is nonsense, but it takes time and energy to explain how their thinking is wrong, so why bother? Just tell them that atheism is the absence of religion and they need to think more rationally!

Well... I think RELIGIONITES and GODDITES have successfully hijacked the meaning of FAITH and BELIEF. Why can’t you have BELIEF or have FAITH in someone or something based on EVIDENCE?

The religion/goddite views of faith and belief are just based on ZERO evidence or made up evidence!

Don’t you have FAITH and BELIEVE the brakes and steering on your regularly maintained vehicle will work and function effectively to provide a safe trip?
Ditto for boarding an airplane or ship!

Atheism in itself is not a religion. However one can claim a personal religion that has no belief in god/s, such as Humanism, Buddhism, Naturalism, or any combination of various spiritualities that do not rely on supernatural gods.

Many rational people have created a personal religion, where they feel a connection to the natural world, their origins in the cosmos, belief in the potential of humanity to solve our own problems, be it with reason, compassion, science or love.

So, I would say that while atheism is not a religion on its own, many atheists might consider their own sense of spirituality a religion of sorts.

The simple premise of atheism is that atheists do not believe in gods, period. There is no way to call this a religion.
On a personal level I cannot stop my atheism there because god belief is supernatural and I do not believe in anything supernatural. This is because I am an atheist who came out of theism. Sacred scriptures have something in them supernatural and a creator god is usually a spirit of some sort. If I deny existence of a creator god and still believe in ghosts I see this as an "apple and oranges" compromise. It means that I am "cherry picking" in my beliefs.
Many might say that they have "had experiences" in their lifetime. We all have. This is where religions come from. Before we claim that "earth is a farm and we are the crop" we had best look at facts and possible explanations for events.
Back to ideas of atheism as a religion, it becomes such when we start adding to it and scheduling services and meetings for it. This would lead to dogma which would lead to viewpoint and controversy, and in the end we would have denominations. I avoid atheism as a religion.

It's more a religion than being an agnostic, since, like religion, you are claiming something to be NOT true without a way to prove it either way. Yet evidence to the contrary does exist.

You are taking it by faith that nothing supernatural exists-despite Einstein proving that everythng is made of energy and that energy is never destroyed and can't be created, so we must have always existed and will always exist in some energy form. So much for "nothing exists after death" theories.

You also mostly believe there is no reincarnation (despite piles of documentation to the contrary) and all the quantum phsycis evidence that something must be imagined first to exist. You are ignoring the fact that people can now work computers and manipulate prosthetic limbs with their minds, thus disproving the "ESP is bunk" mantra.

To me, many atheists are as ignorant as most religious people since they are as ready to yell "fake news" at anything they haven't personally heard of.
In fact, I've been disappointed often since joining here, and already wondering if I should find somewhere else to hang.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42219
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.