Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I celebrate the reason for the season(s), axial tilt. I figure the best way to do this is to drink copious amount of alcohol until I, like the earth, start to tilt and end up more or less wandering around in an oblong-ish circle, orbiting some larger mass like a couch, TV, table full of food/drink. Also, makes me a bit jolly.

And, if anyone tries to sing me a christmas carol, I'll shove my finger right up their nose! Try singing now choirboy!

We need some new carols that appeal to non-religious celebrators.

I don't. Seriously, I don't invest too much energy into it. Now that both of my parents are gone, it's just me and my siblings, but I'm the only one who lives out of state, so they never see me for the holidays anyway, but I do send out cards... just haven't for last couple of years. I just spend most of the days leading up to Christmas working and staying home and running out in the snow. Oh, and my cats will get presents. It's just not a big deal for me.

That sounds reasonable. I'd probably do the same if I was in that scenario.

You can celebrate anything you want without any religiosity attached to it. If you get accused for being a non-believer on Christmas, that's tantamount to having someone accuse you for not believing in Harry Potter or magic while you're at Harry Potter World at Universal Studios. You don't have to believe it to enjoy it with your family.

This is why I'm so chill about Christmas. I just don't have the time or reason to be grumpy about it, when I can just totally enjoy the good parts about it anyway.

Also, Harry Potter actually happened. 🙄

It is another pagan holiday that people loved and refused to give up so the Christians are still trying to convert it to their holiday.

Try as they may, but they will never get people on board with the idea, because it only holds power over those dumb enough to fall for the political scarecrow that is religion, which is really just a variation on the concept of Boy Scout camp, but for those foolish enough to be politicked.

Do not work temporarily job at Walmart garden center during holiday.

Word Level 8 Nov 8, 2019

I treat it just like actually most do - as a family holiday and excuse to see people do not normally see. Oh and to take a break from work and relax. If someone gives me free time off, I will not complain as long as there are no strings attached. Besides, its a good excuse to celebrate the real holiday on 12/25: Newtonmas! Yes it is actually Sir Isaac Newton's birthday (at least on the older Julian calendar used when he was born). I send out Newtonmas cards too -- but they need to be bought well in advance because for some reason not everyone stocks them, go figure?

It's just a time for family, and fun and food and good times, stop over thinking it, I for one have never felt forced to acknowledge jesus on Christmas and to anyone that trys to call me a hypocrite I just tell them its a pagan celebration first and a commercial enterprise at that and it pretty much shuts them up.

Fun family time. Nothing more.

share gifts, food, and time, The winter solstice has been celebrated for at least 10,000 years, a few days earlier or later is irrelevant. We actually don't celebrate any holiday, it's just the time when people have time off so we take advantage.

Since my family relationships are chances on a good day, holidays are complicated. I take lots of ‘smoke breaks’ outside(I don’t smoke, lol, but I pretend I do, and they pretend to believe me). I stay as superficial as possible.
And I try to laugh.

Just another day.

I enjoy the holiday season. That time from Thanksgiving through NYD. The friendship and goodwill that it provides even though it probably isn’t real. The decorations and music ,non religious of course, puts a smile on my face. Christmas was special growing up. It was not about Jesus. It was about family get togethers.
Of course Festivus is special too. 😁

The holiday is a pleasant thought helping and giving to others is not a bad thing getting along together, that's nice sentiments just ignore the religious aspects

It's a great excuse to have a holiday. We celebrate Merry Xmas, where the X stands for whatever you want to celebrate. What we really like is celebrating the winter solstice. Actually, I'm a kinda heathen anyway.

Do you mean that Christmas holiday with decorated evergreens, Santa Claus, snowmen, Rudolph, candy canes, and exchanging gifts? That time of year was celebrated long before it was assigned as a religious holiday. If the term 'Christmas' is bothersome, call it the Yuletide holiday or anytbing you prefer. No need to miss out on the festivities because Christians claim it as thrir own. It doesn't belong to them exclusively.

I don't celebrate holidays typically because I have no one to celebrate with, my family is dead so rip that. But I have some older friends to hang out with. No one my own age. They do their own thing with their friends and family, etc. It's only been lately that I've been able to do something for some of the holidays. 😛

Just another wash day at my house.

i grew up celebrating. it’s a little weird now, but i don’t see any reason to give up my culture just because i’ve given up religion.

I am singing along wherever. Great fun.

We celebrate a typical holiday and we have a blast!

It doesn’t have to be about Jesus. I have a blast every Christmas with my atheist family. We exchange gifts, watch football, laugh, eat and drink. To me it’s about celebrating life & family in the midst of the coldest days.

I get invited to "holiday" parties. I can't remember the last time I was invited to a "Christmas" party. If they have food I go.

I participate in the celebration and ignore the religion.

Working with the public for over 2 decades has sucked most of the fun out of it. It's good time to spend with family and friends. I just ignore the religious part of it these days and glad when it's over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.